New book from Grey Larsen, “150 Gems of Irish Music for Tin Whistle”
I am very excited to announce the release this week of a new book/CD package, "150 Gems of Irish Music for Tin Whistle". I am taking orders now at http://www.greylarsen.com.
The tunes are among my favorites, both rare and well-known. Many of the transcriptions are based on recordings by great Irish players of the 20th century.
You may view 13 excerpts from the book at http://www.greylarsen.com/excerpts_150gemstinwhistle.php .
The collection contains:
• 150 traditional Irish tunes, with suggested ornamentation and breathing places
• 94 "whistle-friendly" tunes
• 28 tunes of non-wind origin
• 28 tunes for non-D whistles
• Ideas, with examples, on how to use non-D whistles in Irish sessions
• All the tunes on the companion CDs, played on whistle, demonstrating the suggested ornamentation and breathing
• Three chapters on ornamentation, modes, and breathing and phrasing
While the tunes are customized for tin whistle players, they of course can be played on all melody instruments.
(This book previously had a working title of "Celtic Encyclopedia for Tin Whistle".)
This is the first of four books I am publishing with Mel Bay Publications in 2013. The others are:
150 Gems of Irish Music for Flute
300 Gems of Irish Music for All Instruments
Down the Back Lane: Variation in Traditional Irish Dance Music
You can read about them at http://www.greylarsen.com/store/bookdetails.php .
I’ll announce these other books as they become available.
Thanks for reading!