accompaniment CD’s HELP!

accompaniment CD’s HELP!

Ok - looking for some advice here. I picked up a wooden whistle about a year ago and have learned a bunch on songs from this site. I have people asking me to play for events but I don’t have a group to play with. (I’m a mom of seven and frankly don’t have the time for goup work.) I feel rather silly doing a whole production with just me and have been searching in vain for accompaniment cd’s. I would love harp but would settle for guitar or piano. I am also frustrated when I do find a CD that maybe 10% of the songs are in the right key (D). Suggestions????

Re: accompaniment CD’s HELP!

If those other keys on your other CDs are Bflat or C, you could always pick up some Generation whistles in those keys without having to spend too much. I can’t think of many CDs with just accompaniment available in this music.
And if folks chime in here and try to make fun of you playing with recordings, or to tell you that instrumental numbers are called tunes, not songs, just let it roll off your back. Not all of us are lucky enough to be surrounded by other musicians, and opportunities to play in groups.
Best of luck to you!

I’m completely useless when it comes to doing anything like it myself but I wonder whether anyone’s ever done a half-decent collection of Band-in-a-Box-type backing tracks that might help to fit the bill here. And, yes, Michael, for once I’m glad you can’t riposte!

I would say just play by yourself, there’s nothing silly about that. Playing with canned backups is a chore, really. In alot of ways, its harder than just playing by yourself. You have to worry about the sound levels on stage and out in the room and all. Playing to recorded tracks saves you from rehearsing a band, but recorded backing still has problems to work out even if you find some good tracks to use

It’s always nice to be asked to play, so just go and play and don’t worry about being solo. They wouldn’t ask you if you were terrible, so what are you worried about?

gowan, gowan…go play for the nice people and don’t you be worrying about anything

I agree with Nate Ryan — solo whistle is perfect. You don’t get the moral support from a backing track that you would from, say, your eldest child whom you’ve encouraged to learn the bodhran (hint hint). But if you can’t find anything suitable you could always make your own with music software. I don’t know if these links will work, but if they do, here are a few examples of what I mean —

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3dc95l3kxmay4wz/Lady%20Athenry%20n.MP3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/taucev77q710lh4/Planxty%20Irwin%2C%20Fanny%20Power%2C%20The%20Trip%20Over%20the%20Mountain%20n.MP3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rvb6b92ivflvmo/Thomas%20Leixlip%20the%20Proud.MP3

Posted by .

Hmmm, gam has a good idea. And don’t stop at teaching music to just one child. Family band, here you come! 😉

Steve Shaw wrote "I’m completely useless when it comes to doing anything like it myself but I wonder whether anyone’s ever done a half-decent collection of Band-in-a-Box-type backing tracks that might help to fit the bill here. And, yes, Michael, for once I’m glad you can’t riposte!"

I have often thought this same thing. If someone was thinking they might have a go just select the first 20 tunes off the most popular list here at thesession.org. Do a count in…

I had always imagined this being a project for learners, so a slower pace, rather than a full throttle accompaniment for playing out.

I am conversant with the reasonable argument that an accompanist does exactly that rather than setting the pace, but I am thinking of it as a learning aid for people who don’t live near other players. Years ago I would have paid for such a set of tracks.

Posted by .

Guys, why has no one suggested MIDI?

Should I back down then?

Hey, I know how tough it is when all you’ve got is just you. No-one want to hear a harmonica player playing unaccompanied for more than a few minutes unless you’re Larry Adler. I live in a remote area and most of the time I’m on me tod. Fortunately the cat doesn’t object too much. I can get out to play with other people once a week at best. Playing to a backing track will not help you to play with other musicians at all, but that is not what skhandy is asking for. If I had some half-decent backing tracks (no oxymoron jokes please), perhaps painstakingly made by real musicians, I could use ‘em for busking and occasional other events as yet to be undefined, I reckon…

Oh God, I dunno…!

I’ve had my wife record a few accompaniment tracks for me so I can play in dance class for my girls - I’ll try to post them up on my tune site -

Reed in Minneapolis

Posted by .

skhandy, I noticed you say the whistle is wooden. Mind if I ask about the tunes you’re playing? I’d love to help you in any way I can to work with the people who want you to play in events. My guess is they like something you’re doing, but you’re feeling a bit pressured. In any case it’s all about being comfortable with whatever you decide & then any listeners can best appreciate your music.

Ben

Posted by .