I felt like Aldous Huxley on bad acid when I opened this weird stuff

I felt like Aldous Huxley on bad acid when I opened this weird stuff

There I was, lumbering placidly through the reed-beds of The Guardian’s Art And Design section, when I stumbled into this stuff:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2013/mar/26/world-irish-dancing-championships-in-pictures#/?picture=406237782&index=12

In a trice I knew exactly What Happened To Baby Jane - and probably Michael Jackson, for that matter. As for the famous wigs, I hadn’t quite realised that the ideal aimed at was to look like one of the more rococo Hindu deities in an ungenerous mood: this is far out stuff, man.

Anyone here dig it? Or un-dig it? Or say, "Meh…"?

Re: I felt like Aldous Huxley on bad acid when I opened this weird stuff

"Don’t bogart that joint, my friend….."

Oh dear. When did dance become divorced from the music and morph into high weirdness?

And that is not a rhetorical question. I really would like to know what happened.

I wish I knew the answer to that, Michele. You should watch the movie "Jig" (if you haven’t already), which is about people preparing for the Irish Dancing Championships in Glasgow and it makes you happy you’re not involved in that scene. High weirdness indeed. And spray tans? Really?

They’re mutating into another species by the look of it.

Posted by .

Hi Nicholas, You are so right! And Michele, DSS and gam, you’re right on the money

I have played at various Feiseanna and specific dance competitions for over some 30 years now, both for Commission and An Comhdhail styles of dancing.

This present approach has been going on easily that long, and is ridiculous. Believe it or not, girls with natural long flowing hair as Nature intended have to wear wigs like those on display in the photoraphs. And the dresses are like suits of armour, they are so heavy.

I remember back in the late 80s that there was a "step" introduced, almost like a frog’s kicking action as it swims. What the connection it has with Irish dancing I cannot begin to comprehend.

At the Hobart Fleadh the last few years the dancers have goone back to wearing a simple green skirt and a blouse, with the emphasis being on the footwork - that surely is dancing!

All the best

Brian x

Indeed, DSS, the spray tans were particularly ick. I lump this phenomena in with the "pageants" that are popular in some parts of the US. ("Little Miss Sunshine" without the heroin jokes.) (Or maybe not?)

Gam, the wigs are like no hair found in nature. On this planet.

I have seen kids from dance schools that seem to have lost the creepy wigs and Irish Lass Suits. They can dance. To live music.

Crosspost, Brian. Nice to know that there are kids out there learning to dance, not bounce and rattle.

Hey, don’t knock those crazy dresses ! Our very own Zina lee makes her living from constructing them ( I think that’s the correct technical expression ). Whatever happened to the "Book of Kells vomit" style of decoration ?

Zlee, she was grand on the old mustard ..

Posted by .

One of my friends found "Jig" and thought I would be interested in it cause he knew I was into Irish music. I was culture shocked when I saw the wigs, the make-up, and the dresses. Very different from the Irish world I was introduced to. Yes I was very weirded out. I think I mentioned it in a post a while back.

And Irish girls are so nice-looking without being walled into this gear.

Don’t worry, I don’t go around peering at the little ones :-).

I would love to hear someone justify the daft wigs and the spray tans and the over-the-top dresses. What weirdly constructed aesthetic is this meant to satisfy?

DrSilverSpear said: " What weirdly constructed aesthetic is this meant to satisfy?

Contest judges.