App with TheSession offline?

App with TheSession offline?

I would like the Session to be an iPhone app that shows my Tunebook in PDF format on demand. It could store the entire TheSession library of tunes because ABC format is text and extremely lightweight, storage-wise. All the app needs is a pretty converter, and I can carry my tunes everywhere, in oarticular to places where there is no or slow Internet. I would pay for this app.

Re: App with TheSession offline?

Why not learn to play the tunes first instead……and then carry your tunes in your head. Then there are no need for internet.

Posted by .

Yes I’m trying. I learned about 100 tunes this year, but I’m not Irish, and sometimes I get confused. Ever hear that joke, "I went to Ireland and only heard one song"?

Get yourself a PDA.
Don’t confuse "learning a tune" with "being able to play a tune".

Posted by .

There is an an app available to keep all your tunes together it’s called Tunepal it has a small €4 charge but carries a library of 16,000 tunes, there’s a record facility to name tunes you don’t know the name of ( especially good in a session) and once you put them in your tunes you can go into settings and use a slider to slow them down to learn them. It’s a brilliant App I’m in Galway most of my trad friends use this even ones that are very accomplished players. Tony

"Yes I’m trying. I learned about 100 tunes this year, but I’m not Irish, and sometimes I get confused. Ever hear that joke, "I went to Ireland and only heard one song"?"

Indeed. I think scientists have discovered the Irish tune learning gene, which occurs primarily amongst the population of Ireland itself, but has been located in small genetically isolated pockets in London, Chicago, Boston, and New York.

On a more serious note, if you believe that you can’t possibly learn lots of tunes and keep them all in your head (as people have been doing long before the internet), then you definitely won’t be able to do it. If you have the attitude that this is something you, like thousands of other trad players, will eventually achieve, then you probably will.

Whoa, on-demand? Does that mean you are planning to whip them out at sessions having not learnt then first?

How did people cope before Tunepal?!?

I can’t help with the "offline" part, but if you have an iPhone, I highly recommend you add The Session to your home screen.

Go to the front page of The Session on your iPhone/iPod Touch, tap the "share" icon at the bottom of the Safari screen, and select "add to home screen":
http://www.apple.com/ios/add-to-home-screen/

From then on, when you launch the site from that icon on your home screen, it will behave much like an app in full-screen (no browser chrome).

There are at least four ABC apps that I know of: TunePal, IPABC, The Craic, and (ahem) my own app, Tunebook. They’ll all let you download your tunebook from The Session and view it offline. TunePal works on Android and iPhone, and I think the others are iPhone/iPad only.

TunePal and Tunebook are both very useful. TunePal for identifying tunes and Tunebook for organising/editing.
An app for using to practise with is Anytune, you can play downloaded CDs, slow them down, alter pitch, select small lengths of tunes repeatedly. It also has a learning feature which repeats a tune at gradually increasing rates so you can play along with your CDs. This solves the midi sound problem and you can hear ornamentations very much slowed down.

Thank you for the replies. More info: I am often "woodshedding" in a cabin without internet, so to properly learn the tunes I heard at Session last week I need the sheet music. I do understand that at Session no one pulls out aids of any sort (paper or electronic) and I’m happy with that. But I would like to come prepared.

I have TunePal, it’s great. It does work offline. It’s *almost* perfect, but I’m not sure how to add tunes to my Tunebook that aren’t online anywhere (local Canadian jigs, for example). (And an iPad version would be nice.) Is there a way to download everything? Just curious.

Was the advice on how to properly learn the tunes the general consensus at that particular session, eonasick?
It seems feasible to record the tunes (albeit on an electronic device) & have those available for woodshedding.

Posted by .

App with Tunebook offline?

"I’m not sure how to add tunes to my Tunebook that aren’t online anywhere." ~ eonasick

http://www.jhlabs.com/tunebook/#importing

Importing Tunes

"There are four ways to import tunes into Tunebook: You can browse for ABC files on the Internet, you can connect to Tunebook from a Web browser and use a form to upload files into it, you can use iTunes file sharing, or you can enter new tunes in a text editor."
.. .. ..

"Finally, you can create new tunes by choosing ‘Add New Tune’ from the main menu. This allows you to type or paste ABC. If you can get your ABC on the clipboard, say, from an email, you can paste it here, and Tunebook will add all the tunes it finds."

Posted by .

Ok, thanks everyone. I have plenty of information now. (At Session we don’t generally discuss how to play tunes, we just play.)

😏

"At Session we don’t generally discuss how to play tunes .."
"I heard at Session last week I need the sheet music .."

Posted by .

~

Beg pardon, eonasick. I see now that my previous quote was out of context. Your ‘need’ for sheet music is your personal opinion. I do apologise for my hasty inference.

Posted by .

If you have the recordings, you can learn by ear, on or offline. In any case, if a tune isn’t in the database on thesession.org or elsewhere on the web, it doesn’t matter whether you have the internet or not. The tune isn’t on it.

DrSilverSpear, I have printed music. I want it all in one library on my device (iPad mini).

Is your response a flat rejection of learning by ear, eonasick?

Posted by .

Go to the front page of The Session on your iPhone/iPod Touch, tap the "share" icon at the bottom of the Safari screen, and select "add to home screen":
http://www.apple.com/ios/add-to-home-screen/

I tried that and it works well- only trouble seems to be you lose the back button.

Posted by .

I am *mostly an ear player Na, but I like to be correct too, so this year I learned how to read music so I could get the fine points.

And I downloaded Tunebook. It looks close to what I want. Thanks.

"I am *mostly an ear player Na, but I like to be correct too, so this year I learned how to read music"
Oenasick, what is it that you are suggesting? “Correct Too”… what are you talking about? Are you saying that us ‘ear players’ play incorrectly?? There is an old Irish tradition that I love, which states that once you have the tune in your head that you own it. That is an incredibly generous and wise way to share and pass on music, and so to me the only valid place to collect Irish music is in your head.

Posted by .

Sorry I got your name incorrect. My eyes are far worse than my ears!

Posted by .

Pardon me for interrupting; but there is no "correct" (in music, not names). On top of that, sheet music is only someone else’s (necessarily limited by the medium) version of what is heard. Which would you trust most, your ears or theirs?

Posted by .

Oh Crap!

Posted by .

Jeeeeez, Sorry Gam, before Jeremy Kicks my arse again for being rude (which I just promissed not to be, )my "Oh Crap! wasn’t aimed at you. I thought I’d poseted twice! Sorry mate!

Posted by .

The sheet music won’t give you a "correct" version of the tune. Just someone else’s interpretation. And in the case of quite a few transcriptions (published as well as a fair few on here), other people’s interpretations can be somewhat useless.

Ear ear Dr Silver Spear.

Posted by .

Do I take it there is some kind of conflict between using your ears and written music on this forum?

"The sheet music won’t give you a "correct" version of the tune. Just someone else’s interpretation."

It could be argued that the composer’s version or one which is "appoved" by him or her might be considered to be "correct" but this isn’t necessarily the case either.
It’s not uncommon for musicians to play even their own tunes differently each time and they may subsequently develop or expand them in various directions.

Moreover, not all musicians are particularly good at reading or writing music and will often rely on having their tunes transcribed on their behalf. Although they may accept and, perhaps, even prefer the published version it may still not be 100% accurate or faithful to the original version.

I’m by no means against written music or even the use of "aids" but the notion that just because something is written down somewhere means that it is "correct" or better seems unfathomable to me.

That’s right. There is no reference point. "The Nine Points of Roguery" is really just another version of "Haste to the Wedding", that got developed, and somebody heard it "wrong" somewhere along the line.

Yeah, well, it’s all relative. I’n’it ?

Don’t bring my auntie into this…..

No need to apologise Gobby O’Gobbo: when I posted my message, yours mysteriously appeared after it. Another miracle!

David50 — would you care to expand, expound, or elucidate, viz "it’s all relative"?

Posted by .

eonasick, thanks for the response. I think it’s good you’re learning to read sheet music. I’d also recommend learning abc notation (if you haven’t already) to help when you’re using the apps.
As far as the correctness goes there are plenty of inaccuracies in some written sources & some of the so called ear players. Preferably** the written source comes from a transcriber who is equally adept at listening & notating tunes. But also the reader needs, needs, needs to be a good listener. Reading can be a distraction, especially when you’re first learning. So learn to read, even do some transcribing, & *always* keep your ears working at listening to what you’re playing.

** I should add it’s also preferable that the ear player either has good ears for listening or is well on the way to developing them.

Posted by .

Hey, thanks, Jeremy! I followed your instructions to have the Session look like an app on my iPhone and it works great.

I only know about 50 tunes right now … maybe half of them I know really well. I’m not concerned … because I’d rather play a tune confidently and with a solid rhythm than to just "know" it. It might take me years to play a couple of hundred tunes well … so be it. I practice diligently daily and measure my progress over several months instead of over several weeks. Seems to be the ticket that’s working right now.

Since I’ve given up the dots, I have two methods for jogging my tune memory: 1. Listening to a bar or two of the tune from a recording (sometimes on my iPhone) 2. From a list that has the Name, Key, Time Sig and the first few notes.

I find that the tunes swim around in my head and jump out when they want to be played. It’s great to have all these tunes in my head ~ wonder how I managed without all this music in my brain.