Favorite Tunes

Favorite Tunes

so forget about easy beginner tunes, and lets not even think about essential session tunes.
What I want to know is: what are your favorite tunes to play, on what instruments, and why?

(yeah, this has kinda been asked before, like, five years ago. I figured it would be ok to ask again so some new people can get in on the act of waxing rhapsodic about their favorite tunes.)

Great Tunes…

I created a set today with great tunes.. try play the hornpipes Blue-Eyed Rascal/Belfast and then Ross’s Reel.. Nice combination. I play it on tin whistle.

Re: Favorite Tunes

Any tune that I’ve just learned and gotten into my fingers to play well. Also, any tune that I know well but forgot about until I hear someone play it. Sorry, I know you’re looking for names, but it’s more a function of not having played it too often too recently, so it changes as I learn. The real challenge is keeping up with the other people in the session—-if someone learns a nice tune and starts playing it, I want to learn it fast enough so that I can play along before they stop playing it so much. Hope that makes sense.

My answer changes with the week. I agree with everything kennedy just said, but if you’re looking for specifics… For playing solo at home (on tenor banjo) I like twisty tunes like Choice Wife, and Trip to Nenagh, and Dr. Gilbert’s. But there’s something about simpler tunes like Dunmore Lasses and Silver Spear when everyone in the session gets up under them and drives them, that really moves me, too.

Let’s see, Roscommon, Maudabawn Chapel, the Paddy Fahey tunes, Hole in the Hedge, slipjigs in general, tons of tunes I don’t know the names of…and lately, it’s more unnamed tunes than anything.

At the moment it’s Diplodocus and A Smile for Sile — on the fiddle — because they each in their own way provide a lovely little comfort bubble of music that I can inhabit and savour from the inside, closely followed by Mouse in the Attic which is more of a fairground ride.

Posted by .

It varies. On my accordion I always play Doorus Mill, Palmer’s Gate, Sporting Paddy, Drag Her Round the Road…. Poor Man’s Fortune, Bunker Hill, Girls at Martinfield, Surely Wee Och Aye, Caracena and what not.

kennedy - that’s perfect, I don’t mind not having names, I really curious about what everybody likes and why, what about the tunes move you, etc.

gam - that is some beautiful imagery! now I have to go give those a listen.

Lately I really like playing this one hornpipe, I think it’s called Eamonn McGivvney’s, but I’m not real sure. I learned it from a record I have of Paddy O’Brien. He plays it in a set after the Rights of Man. But I love to play it on all my instruments, concertina, fiddle, whistle, banjo, …heck, I’d like this tune on the kazoo. Its the one tune right now that is a favorite on any instrument I pick up.

Another is Gallant Tipparary on concertina played in the key of C. Again, Paddy O’Brien records is where I learned that one, but the variations he plays just got in my ears and I have a great time with that tune.

Gordan duncans ramnee ceilidh on whistle , it makes everyone go hup jaysis at a session

"I like twisty tunes like Choice Wife, and Trip to Nenagh, and Dr. Gilbert’s."

Oooh, Dr. Gilberts! Love that tune! My favorite set right now is Bouncing Kate into Splendid Isolation, on fiddle. The first is Scottish and the second one I guess is Irish. In case you’re interested, bouncing kate is the first tune here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlji9V0883w

I like tunes that feature key changes like Jig of Slurs and The Gravel Walk. I also like tunes that have three or more parts like Lark in the Morning, Farewell to Ireland, Over the Moors to Maggie and Langstrom’s Pony. I like tuneful hornpipes like Flowers of Edinburgh and O’Mahoney’s Hornpipe. I like tunes that jump octaves like The Mason’s Apron and Jenny’s Chickens. I like set dances like The King of the Faeries and The Orange Rogue because they are a little different from the jigs and reels. I like polkas like Maggie in the Woods because they are lively without being in reel time. My favorite jig is The Monaghan Jig. My instrument is flute.

Posted by .

Out on the Ocean. I love the way it just flows along. It is great on the BC box, because you can start the tune with a nice DB double stop. And I love the way most of us play the B part different the first time around, while other folks play the B part the same both times around. (And if you listen on that Malloy/Peoples/Brady album, both settings are played together, and they actually work that way.) And I love the way it has no Cs, so it can be played quite nicely on a D harmonica, which means that you can put it in a set with D tunes or Bminor or E dorian tunes in a set without having to swap off. And it lays real well under the fingers on the whistle.

I tend to favor minory tunes. Apples in Winter, Gallagher’s Frolics, Castletown Connors, Cornelius Curtin’s Big Balloon (in Emi)…you get the drift. Also love the Dervish (I think) version of Swallowtail Reel, Up to Your Knees in Sand, Mouth of the Tobique. Working on Pedaling Patterns and Bracken’s right now. These are all on whistle. Am starting to learn mandolin and all time fave mando tune is Sgt Early’s Dream.

Posted by .

tinwhistler71 - it does sound quite lively! and I liked your turn of phrase there.

AlBrown - "And it lays real well under the fingers on the whistle" I really get this, how a tune can just feel perfect to your fingers while playing, not necessarily easy, but it just…fits.

a lot of people are mentioning that they like how their favorite tunes fit into sets, and flow into other tunes, and of course it makes sense how well tunes work when played together with other instruments and I love that people take the group dynamic into mind. I mean, yea, a lot of ITM is about the session, but its really cool to see how much consideration it gets when all I asked was an individuals favorite tune.

Farewell to Whalley Range on whistle just feels great on the fingers and it feels like your your jumping and rolling around like Neo in the Matrix. It also has that ‘jazz flute’ Anchorman feel without a doubt!

Donegal Lass is also a great ‘stretch’ for the fingers - and plenty of space for easy ad lib.

I find that Pressed For Time by GD is just the unbeatable tune with a lovely troop of players too!

Opinionated Box Player. I try to play them but never get them as well as the folks I am emulating.

Collier’s reel- Particularly Billy McComiskey’s arrangement
Hills of New Zealand- Joanie Madden
The Faerie Queen- Sharron Shannon’s arrangement
Timmy Cliffords- John Williams playing with Solas

Forgot my absolute favorite

Miss Hamilton- John Williams and Dean McGraw