Downloading ABCs

Downloading ABCs

I am having difficulty downloading an ABC associated with a tune. I am a member and am logged in when I go through the process.

What will happen is, after I have found a tune, I click on the download tab, which takes me to a page where I can choose to download the ABC file. Then for some reason my computer downloads it with a .php extension and my photo software wants to open it. I then try to manually open it with ABC2Win which tells me there is an error in initialization file. I’d appreciate any help in cracking the code. Thanks.

Re: Downloading ABCs

I never use the download function for ABC — I just copy and paste the thing… very low tech of me, I know… ๐Ÿ™‚

Sean,

Is your system asking whether you want open or save? I always save first and open later. If your system is assigning the .php extension (?), rename the file with the .abc extension manually.

Hope this helps!

Deb.

Zina, copy & paste technology maybe considered low tech, but it sure works like a charm!

Sean, there is indeed something odd going if your computer is renaming the .abc extension to .php. That shouldn’t happen. Are you getting any similar misbehaviour with other file extensions?

I’d be inclined to run Norton SystemWorks (or a similar product) on your system to see if it reports anything strange. If it does, it will probably correct it. I’d also run an up-to-date antivirus checker; some viruses change file extensions.
Trevor

Oddly, I tried simply opening a browser that was separate from my ISP browser and, eureka, ABC file. I’ll be filing a suit against Qwest.

Sean, this wouldn’t happen to be a tune we played last night that you’re looking for? Ya know, there’s a handy abc source right here in your home town….
๐Ÿ™‚

Last night’s session was fun—great to hear the pipes (and not groaning from underneath our usual avalanche of fiddles either).

Posted .

Also, the "error in initialization…" thing can happen to ABC2Win under several circumstances. Like using WinXP, for example. It doesn’t appear to affect its functionality.

Posted by .

Prudence dictates visiting the well sparingly lest it run dry. Actually the sought after tunes were some from last night and some beginner tunes you’d mentioned in a previous post.

Just let me know which ones. I can email them to you pronto. And since when has playing uillean pipes every qualified anyone as being ‘prudent’ ?!?!? ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted .