Opinions on “Rochelle” concertina for young girl as a learning instrument

Opinions on “Rochelle” concertina for young girl as a learning instrument

My 10 yr old daughter is showing interest in the concertina, but she can be a bit mercurial and rough on things. After some research I’ve decided the ‘rochelle’ model concertina from the concertina connection might be a decent choice - but, I’ve heard they are a bit large and stiff.

We are going to take a trip to the button box in Massachusetts to check one out before we purchase but would like some input from the ‘mustard troops’

PS Before I get crucified for not spending a mint, I’d like to point out that I could get a very nice old wheatstone into her hands, but I just want to see if her interest holds and wouldn’t want to see that old gem get mistreated while she learns the proper care and feeding of a concertina.

Thanks

Re: Opinions on “Rochelle” concertina for young girl as a learning instrument

They are large but not heavy. The bellows are a bit stiff, but
loosen up a little. The buttons also take a little time to loosen
up but when they do they are very responsive. Mine comes from
the Button Box and seems to be beautifully in tune. I think they
go over them before selling them.

Give her the Wheatstone and teach her to treat it right.

I’ve always said how much fun I’ve had with mine. They are solid built, too. I’ve had mine for 5 years now, played it alot, and absolutely no mechanical problems. You don’t have to worry about it being cheap built junk at all.

The Button Box had a couple of used Rochelles.

B. Maloney,

My daughter was in the video above, at the time she had only been playing for about 4 months. She started on that rochelle( which is currently for sale at the button box). It was a great investment. Very easy to learn on. Not any mechanical issues the entire Time we had it. Traded it to the button box for the Morse she is playing below. Got 70% of the value back(they tuned it up abit as you might imagine). It was the best thing I have ever done for my little girl. This is her now, a few months later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uGS3N4MHZQ

Like I said, I am very proud. Rochelle! Great buy!

Séamusín, you have every right to be proud, that girl is going to be a BEAST if she keeps it up!

Yes, I agree. She looks so relaxed and profficient. I reckon she must be a natural.

Posted by .

buy the rochelle and immediately start saving for an upgrade. i teach children, and i’d say that it can get a child through about 3-6 months of learning before it starts really holding them back. children are very resilient, and you’d be amazed at how they just take what i view as a difficult instrument (rochelle) and just squeeze hard and plow along.

i’d say skip the wheatstone for now. go to a hybrid, which may be expensive but is easily replaceable and more durable. one of my students is 9 years old and has a beautiful old jones. sure, it’s no wheatstone or jeffries, but it’s an antique nonetheless. she has absolutely decimated the poor bellows. i have watched her struggle with her own mistakes, because her instrument is now leaky and the air is unmanageable. her father has fixed it some, but for months she was an instrument that couldn’t sustain a full measure of a reel in one direction.

this happened because she is quite mercurial, to use your word. of course i taught her to treat the instrument correctly, but i cannot watch her when she is not in front of me. she is not allowed to put it anywhere but in the case, and she is not allowed slide it around on her leg. she’s been trained that way since she was six years old. however, she still managed to destroy the bellows by sliding it on her leg as well as on and off of beds and couches when she is picking it up.

get her a rochelle and save up for a nice hybrid. please don’t give a child that is known for breaking things a beautiful and historically meaningful antique. i was raised to take care of instruments, but i still managed to destroy my first flute. from a young age my uncle taught me to never put my flute on a chair or a bed and always clean it out after playing. i remember taking good care of this flute, but if you look at it today it is held together with rubber bands, which consequently destroyed the nickel plating/finish. you see, he never told me not to put rubber bands on it!

Posted by .

Thanks for all the input