Some serious music instruction while in Scotland and Ireland

Some serious music instruction while in Scotland and Ireland

As I mentioned in my last post, my 3 daughters (14, 13 and 11 years) have asked to go to UK and Ireland to play and learn about trad music. They are serious intermediate players who have never actually gotten to jam with others who love and know the music. Our trip runs 5 to 25 June. What a pleasure this should be!

Now, I’m trying to find appropriate sessions in pubs or else where. Help?

But, I’m interested even more in connecting with people outside of the (pub) session environment for serious instruction while we are there.

Finally, it would be especially meaningful if my daughters could connect with kids near their age who love the music and are intermediate players as well.

Any suggestions or connections? Many thanks.

Re: Some serious music instruction while in Scotland and Ireland

Brogan’s in Ennis is a good place for music, and Custy’s music shop just around the corner is the place to find out what’s happening. What instruments do your children play? If you’re at Doolin Folk Festival I suggest you seek out Yvonne Casey or Eoin O’Neill from the Ceilidh Bandits for advice. There’s a place in Ennis called Cois na Abhna which teaches music.

Thanks for the input, Tony. The girls are on fiddle, whistle/flute and guitar while I try to keep up on mandolin.

Where are you intending to go in Scotland ?

Posted by .

There are one or two events at or by the NPU in Dublin that might be worth investigating
http://www.pipers.ie/home/_events.htm

Posted by .

Kenny - asking where we are going in Scotland… We’re going where ever the opportunity to play music is. I think we will be based out of Motherwell because we have affordable accommodations there.

Right now, I think we will have a car for transportation but I’m still working out the details.

This might be an amusing question… with a car, will it be reasonable to commute to events within a 30 to 50 mile radius? I’m originally from Texas where a 30+ mile commute to work wasn’t considered unreasonable. I feel a bit differently about that these days.

"Serious instruction" is difficult, it tends to happen on an ongoing basis, not something you can dip into for a day or two.

Your best bet is probably to look to the festivals - they all have plenty of sessions, most have instrument workshops, and you’ll certainly meet up with plenty of individuals who would be willing to give up a few hours to help the youngsters.

On the Scotland side, Arran and Loanhead festivals are both within your time frame. You could also look into Glasgow Fiddle Workshops - they run regular slow and very slow sessions, and might have short courses that would fit. They could certainly fix you up with individual tuition (but on a commercial basis).

And if you are passing from Scotland to Ireland on the ferry from Cairnryan pm me - I’m sure we could rustle up a session for you as you pass through.

You could get in touch with Frank or Moira and tell them what you are planning. They might be able to arrange something:

http://www.glasgowirishminstrels.com/

Ennis has been mentioned already, with Brogan’s, cois na habhne, Eoin, Yvonne etc. I think you might find that many of the teachers are winding down/stopped for the summer. But… there are always possibilities, ask in Custy’s. Ennis and County Clare will be full music in the period you are talking about, the hostel in Ennis very reasonable and nice. I would have no qualms at all about taking the wee ones to the sessions, particularly Brogan’s. If you were to go then it would not be the first time I’d see children playing in a session there. Last year there was a 16 yo Canadian whistler wandering around the sessions in Ennis largely on his own, also at the late night sessions. He was well looked after by the regulars. I doubt his parents would have let him off the leash as much as they did if they felt uncomfortable. Doolin, Miltown Malbay, Feakle, Lisdoonvarna, Lahinch, Corofin ++++ are all within easy reach of Ennis.
As for Hopefullysoontobeindependent Scotland ….well you might like to get in touch with Nigel Gatherer (Edinburgh). He runs a slow session and teaches the whistle and mandolin. He would probably be able to point you in the right direction

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/

Here is a link with information on folky things in the UK. Most festivals will have workshops

http://www.folkandroots.co.uk/index.html

Have fun 🙂

Seriously,

You’re coming a month too soon.

If you’re trip was the 6th-27th July, you’d be able to take in the Willie Clancy Summer School, the the South Sligo Summer School and the Joe Mooney Summer School. In each of which you’d be able to enrol your daughters in appropriate classes.

Posted by .

I’ll be in Ennis from 20–22 June with my family. If our paths cross I’d be very pleased to have a tune with you and yours.

I live about half an hour from Motherwell. You never know, could always sort out a few tunes. There’s always the Glasgow sessions. The Glasgow fiddle workshop does instruction, as do the local Comhaltas groups, St. Roch’s and St. James. I don’t know if you can link up with them as I don’t have much of a connection to either, but someone on here might.

" I don’t know if you can link up with them as I don’t have much of a connection to either, but someone on here might."

See my post above. "Glasgow Irish Minstrels". That’s the CCE branch based at St Roch’s Academy.

Yes, I know that, Weejie.

OK, so there are contact details on that website.

A lot of the time, I have trouble getting internet access and electricity at the same time - so I’m just able to get back on and see these great responses.

Skreech - by serious instruction, I suppose I meant time with anyone who is more of a "purist" who would want to tell us the "right way" to play the music - perhaps rather than a public setting where people might be friendly and gracious to the girls but not provide much real feedback or suggestions. Does that make sense?

Several of you suggested people to follow up with. Many thanks. I’m following up.

So, for those who have offered to connect with us while we are there, once our schedule firms up in the next week, I’ll pm you and see if you are available. I’m fairly sure we will be in Ireland between 8-16 June. Looks like we will go to the Doolin Festival the 14-16th.

Then we’ll go over to Scotland. The girls love ceilidh dancing - though they’ve never actually been to a dance. However, lots of Scottish kids seem to come here. The girls always make friends with them, ask if they like to dance and we end up hosting them for lots of dinners and dancing evenings.

I’ll be grateful to anyone who will send me some absolute MUST KNOW tunes either here or private message. We have a couple of hours worth of material though not all ITM. We picked up tunes from contra-dance tunebooks also.

By they way, we here are some videos we put up for my parents last May. I should have put some more up by now but we never seem to get around to it. The girls are better now.

I’ll end this book. Thanks!