Seagull Guitars - advice sought

Seagull Guitars - advice sought

I finally managed to collect together some money and decided to buy myself a decent guitar (which is not to say my old one is indecent, but it grows old). The choice around my place is not great - I’ve searched the town through and found only two instruments of interest to me; one is Spanish, of a brand that I know well, but the other one is Seagull, model S - I’ve never heard of this company before. Did anyone have any experience with Seagull guitars? If so, was it bad or good? The model I’m talking about is second hand but almost unused, ‘plugable’ acoustic, costs about 800 USD.

Any hints appreciated.

Janek

Re: Seagull Guitars - advice sought

Got my daughter a "parlour size" seagull a few christmas’ ago. Nice guitar, I think it was mahagoney body with a spruce top. Nice tone and great action for such a small body size. I think I paid $300 The guitar shop I bought it from was very up front with the quality ( good) and the sound/action.

Posted by .

I’ve played several acoustic-electric Seagull guitars in stores. They’re a good company from Canada and the make reliable, good quality guitars in $300 to $800 range.

If you intend to play through a PA, they have great electronics and sound as good as any acoustics with pickups through a PA. If you like the look, and it feels good in your hands, go for it. They’re in the same league (sound wise) as Ovation and Takamine because they have excellant pickups and pre-amps built right into the guitars. These are perfect guitars for playing in bars or in a session.

Here’s their web site: http://www.lasido.com/

I’ve read many reviews by owners of Seagulls who just love the guitar, so you should be in good shape if you go for it.

Thank you all, it certainly clears the picture a lot to me. We don’t get too much Canadian stuff over here, so it’s hard to get a first-hand opinion.

I’ve checked the Seagull website before, learned about all the technical aspects, but as to the reviews, I wouldn’t expect a company who builds them wirte "it’s a worthless piece of junk, gonna fall apart after three years anyway" in their product’s profile, so I decided to ask the consumers.

Looks like it’s going to be a Seagull for me. Thank you all again.

If you have a chance to try a Furch, do so!

Snorre

My fiddler attempts to play low-whistle - as has been said before, they are great for scaffolding, whale noises and hanging curtains. He is a dab hand at making seagull noises and the shower scene music from Psycho on it. Pity he can’t play airs on it.

I have a Seagull S12+, so I can’t say much about six-string version. My guitar has very warm and beautiful harp-like sound. Sustain is extremely good, actually far too good for backing reels or jigs. Anyway, I think Seagull has very reasonable price/quality.

Posted by .

I just bought the Seagull S6+Cedar guitar, it is absolutely fantastic in sound and fun to play. Thanks everyone for your help.

Snorre, I heard there is one place around my city where I could get my hands on Furch guitars, however, prices fo those sold in that shop are far above my meagre investment capabilities. Still, I will find the place soon and try them out, just for pure pleasure - I’ve heard a lot of good things about them.

Geoffwright - airs are for sissies - soon enough your fiddler will find out that when you put the other end of the flute in the water while playing, you can get some interesting results. That’s what they call progress.

HI
I’m looking at a used S-10 12 Stringbut can’t find any info online.

Maybe it is a precursor to the S-12

ty

NEVER MIND it’s s-12