Mick Moriarty, whistle and flute player on Tyneside in the early seventies.

Mick Moriarty, whistle and flute player on Tyneside in the early seventies.

I wonder if anyone remembers Mick Moriarty who played around Sunderland and Newcastle areas in the early seventies. You can see him playing as a member of the Beggarmen on Tyne Tees TV; there are a few clips on Youtube; http://youtu.be/7QSd1qN8NRA

He was a great inspiration to me to keep on playing the whistle.
Where is he now? Did he ever make any recordings outside the Beggarmen?

Re: Mick Moriarty, whistle and flute player on Tyneside in the early seventies.

I remember him in Newcastle sessions in the late Seventies, in The Cumberland Arms or the (old) Irish Centre or both. I haven’t seen him since. His musicianship and other characteristics made him something of a legend.

I saw him playing flute in a few sessions in London a couple of years ago.

Lovely clip. Mick Moriarty played with Paddy and John Keenan when he was younger, but I don’t know if he ever recorded with them (no doubt unofficial recordings exist somewhere).

He lives in London now - or did when I last saw him, about 8 or 9 years ago. He has been in poor health for the time I have known him and was on kidney dialysis for some years (if I remember rightly, he eventually received a transplant). He was still making the odd appearance at London sessions.

I saw him a couple times at sessions when I was hanging (briefly) around the London scene. That was late 2006 or thereabouts.

Good to hear he’s still playing regularly.

I remember The beggar men playing in the Irish centre in Middlesbrough regularily Tony Corcoran played the fiddle with the band and is still involved in trad music in Newcastle I think he’s the chairman of Newcastle Comhaltas.

A chairde! Greetings all!

Mick did play with Paddy and Johnny Keenan (RIP) in the early years in a group called The Pavies if I’m not mistaken.

We had many a tune regularly up in the Irish Centre, Gallowgate, Newcastle upon Tyne apart from sessions in Co. Durham and Northumberland, from the late 70s to the late 80s.

There were occasions when a group of flute players would get together for a tune on a Monday night; I well remember times when there would be Mick, Patrick Knight, Tommy McElvogue, myself, and another player, whose name escapes me, from South of the River; I remember chatting with Gordon Tyrrell one night, yet another lovely flute player, who suggested a collective noun for a group of fluteplayers could be "a breath of flutes"

The fiddle player in this clip is indeed Tony Corcoran. Did anyone notice that Mick is playing his unique version of Colonel Fraser, not the Swallowtail?

Mick has a brilliant sense of humour and one night we were playing at the Iona Club in Jarrow when someone came up and asked if he could play Annie’s Song, at the time, made very popular by James Galway. Mick replied "I can play any song you want, I have hundreds of tunes!"

I did write to a member here last year enquiring after his health, after seeing that he was on the list of players at a session at Wimbledon, but got no reply. If anyone does find out his whereabouts I’d love to say Hello.

All the best,

Brian x

"Did anyone notice that Mick is playing his unique version of Colonel Fraser, not the Swallowtail?"

I did notice. I just thought he had his own unique name for it.

Hi Brian, If you pm me i can give you a contact no for Mick.

to answer all your questions i was in bad heath with a kidney transplant operation which i am lucky to be alive i have played with the keenan/furey group the pavees we done loads of work for rte balladsheet i was singing with uileann pipes christy moore show tony mcmahons programme ag deanam ceoil ceili house twice one a repeat ciaran mcmatuna was a good friend of mine he said that colone fraser and my love is in america was the best ever heard in his 50 years the best recoding travelling pipers music is exciting they turn the tunes upside down newcastle upon tyne sessions in the seventies were the highlite of my years on tyneside/sunderland i am currently on utube with a biography of my life in dublin i play low whistle sully plays tenor bango in g mick moriarty

if you type in the icon utube put in doctor moriarty you will get a very humourous biography long live geordieland the mighty sessions not much irish music now in tyneside

Michael Moriarty - Good to hear from you

It’s good to hear from you. So glad that you have recovered from your operation. Thanks for the information of about the folk you have been playing with, an impressive list.
I have fond memories of you playing Colonel Fraser in pubs in Newcastle and Sunderland. Thanks for the information about this video on You tube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUDa7akpG2U

Good Luck,

Philip

2 years later - I had some fine old flute tunes with Mick a week past Sunday in "The Harrison" in London, where I believe he plays regularly as one of the session "hosts". Still playing great, love his music.

Posted by .

Yes, Mick is still playing very sweet concert flute and whistle at "The Harrison" sessions in London’s King’s Cross. He also leads a fine traditional band, "Professor Moriarty’s Shamrock Band," (named after Sherlock Holmes’ nemesis) playing the London and South East counties Irish pub and club circuit. He told Rasher he is always available for bookings through email.

"The professor’s" flute style is that of the famous Irish traveller musicians and he used to play regularly with the Furey brothers and the Keenans at the Pavees club at Slatterys pub in Capel Street, Dublin. Two years ago Rasher also saw him talking to the late great travelling singer Pecker Dunne, (composer of the famous song "Sullivan’s John,") at the Puck goat fair in Killorglin, County Kerry.