fiddle container for cabin baggage

fiddle container for cabin baggage

Does anyone know of a container that is the cabin baggage size of 55 x 40 x 20 cm made for a fiddle? The measurements should work for a full size fiddle, and I just wondered whether anyone knew of who might make one?

Re: fiddle container for cabin baggage

Looks good, but is 26in (66cm) high, so too tall for Ryan air. Thanks anyways.

The basic problem is that the length of the case is determined by the size of the bow, which is considerably longer than the violin. A solution I have seen is a case designed just for the size of the violin by itself, together with a separate cylindrical case for the bow. Even so, you may need a shorter bow.

Aren’t you supposed to be allowed to take your musical instruments on to planes now ?
Of course, if you will fly by Ryanair then you only have yourself to blame.
Is your journey really necessary ? Don’t you know anyone the other end who could lend you a bow ? Or even a whole fiddle set-up ?
Just think how long the journey would have taken before aircraft.
Or before the steam engine.
And be grateful.

Well Guernsey Pete, no thank you to your comments. Some of us do not have money to travel on more expensive airlines, or any one to borrow a bow from. I trust you have both of these in plenty and if so, be grateful for that!

On the much-longed for last trip to the US of A I took my bouzouki in a banjo case on to the plane every time, and played dumb when one of the cabin crew offered to take it from me. That’s longer than a fiddle case anyway. No, it wasn’t RyanAir. No, we can’t afford to do that every year.
Question; what is the purpose of the trip ? If it’s to play music, for free or whatever, check your priorities. RyanAir isn’t really either cheap or convenient most of the time anyway, if you add up the incidentals.
Why not take a mandolin instead ?

I had a flight case custom made for one of my instruments back when I was playing professionally. If you are going to travel more than once, these things will last you the rest of your life. So like the first fella suggested, it’s really worth looking into if you travel. Even if its only once a year.

another thing I’ve done is packed an instrument and shipped it UPS to where I was headed. Sometimes even hotels will take delivery if you work it out with them before hand

another thing I’ve done is to find a music shop in the town you are headed to and call them to see if they can rent you an instrument while you are there.

unfortunately, this is one of those problems that is best solved by throwing money at it. If by any chance your destination is the backwoods of Pennsylvania, you can borrow one of mine while you’re here if that’s any good to you :)

Well, Nate, such a kind offer. If ever I am in the States and especially Pennsylvania, I shall take you up on your offer. In the meantime, I think I am a bit strapped. Here in the East Anglia in the UK, we don’t have a great deal of choice of airlines to Ireland, which is where I am headed. Maybe I have to think of the ferry instead.