The Sidh

The Sidh

Folks,

Not sure if any here have heard of an Italian band called The Sidh. They are a new Genre of Irish Music, I’d be tempted to call it Electro/Folk or even Dance music. They don’t seem to have broken into the UK market yet and that is a crying shame as they are very, very good.

Now, before the ‘Trad’ fanatics start screaming, let me say one thing - they are NOT trad, they play many so called Trad tunes but in a new way. Iain Marr, the whistle player/piper is very good at what he does, as are the rest of the band.

They play music that appeals to younger musicians/fans (heaven knows why I’m listening to it then).

You might want to check out their latest single release - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wieACidHuNM&list=FLt0uHCQ8sZMwnJGsXwzdSKw&index=1.

I just thought I’d let you know about this great band from Italy, sorry if it doesn’t appeal to you. But take time to listen and I’m sure you’ll love them.

Rich

Re: The Sidh

Surprisingly decent whistle player, tho he has played with the likes of Carlos Nunez. Surprised there’s not been more attempts at this particular kind of stuff. Still feels a little bit like ‘dumbing down’ of irish music if i’m being honest.

At least he’s wearing a traditional caipín! Traditional for da Bronx ennaway-Dan

I wouldn’t say ‘dumbing down’. It’s just a new and different way of playing the whistle. It’s music evolving to suit the new and younger generations.

If music didn’t evolve then we’d be listening to people banging sticks on tree trunks as per stone age music!!!!!!

Music changes, new ways of doing things come around. The old way remains but the new takes it a bit further or branches off (I’d consider this to be a BIG branch off from Trad). Like I said in the original post, it’s not supposed to be considered Trad, it’s new and I find it really exciting, even though I’m a 47 year old, balding, fat person (I don’t think I’d fit in at one of their gigs!!!!!!!!!! 😉) .

Rich

Don’t get me started on that hideous hat… 😉
Sounds kinda Flook-ish to me. And before you think these kids invented funky whistle playing, google search kwela or pennywhistle jive—if you liked this, you will find the African approach to whistle playing a lot of fun also.

Ah, the hat…… 😉

Thanks for the heads up on Kwela, I’ll check them out.

Rich

These kids today with their rock & roll music and their bell bottomed trousers.
Back in my day bass guitars had only 4 strings, and we were happy to have 4.
Bah, humbug. And get off my lawn!

But seriously folks. At the very least, Sidh is introducing a traditional instrument to the scene. Who knows, they may inspire kids to buy whistles.

Jethro Tull didn’t inspire a rash of rock foutists (sp), did he? And he, Ian Anderson, was and still is very good. This too shall pass. Love the hat. Have 2, and several t’s. Wearing one now.

So the best of luck to them with their music, but I don’t think that they’re "a new Genre of Irish Music". I could also mention "Kila", or "The Afro-Celt Sound System". There are several others.

Posted by .

I’ve listened through to their CD on Spotify now, so to my further comments I’ll add the following -
There’s a lot (and i mean a LOT) of brian finnegan tunes on there. I mean, 3 in a set…. (‘300 km’)
Whistle player’s timing’s quite hit and miss. And some of the arrangements don’t work.

@ Kenny, I’m sorry but you miss the point regarding new and fresh music. Both Croft No.5 (and I have a few of Misha’s whistles and really like the band - oh, and they don’t exist anymore!) and the Peatbog’s (I have tickets for their shows in Bromsgrove and Keswick - love them and Peter is a brilliant whistle player) are not the same type of music. It’s like drawing a comparison between Slayer and Bon Jovi! They are both considered Rock but are nothing alike. Same for Afro-Celt, Salsa Celtica, Treacherous Orchestra etc. All brilliant in their own right (I have all albums of each band) - but are nothing alike and nothing like The Sidh.

I like most of the music mentioned, but this is something different. Dance/Electro music with a whistle as the lead instrument, something for the young - which is why I expect that some people just don’t ‘Get’ it. But I suppose it’s horses for courses and we can’t all like the same thing. Life would be very boring if we did.

Yep there are a few Mr Finnegan tunes on the CD (only 2 in 300km - the other is Michael McGoldrick’s Homer’s Reel), but they are new arrangements. Oh, and how can you can say his timing is hit and miss is beyond me!

I like them, and if this post gets a couple of more people interested in the band then it’s done it’s job.

Rich

@Rich Nicholls - I must admit, I have very mixed feelings on listening to them. Kind of like a ‘guilty pleasure’ :P I’m not much of a purist, i do know what’s what however, I was surprised I’d not heard of him until recently.. As a whistle player i think he’s very good but not quite at the level of a mcgoldrick or brian finnegan or Tyler Duncan. Just bits of consistency and phrasing. I’ve been listening to the Olllam recently as well, compare the two, the olllam is just as technical and far more poised playing.

@THC (thehappcamper is too long to type - damn, I just did!) I think that there are very few as good as those you mentioned. Iain from The Sidh has taken some lessons this year from Brian! The album is 2 years old!!!!!!

I’m not one for technical expertise, I like the feel and the sound of the music. If it sounds good to my ears then I like it. I can’t really comment (and shouldn’t have on my previous reply) about timing etc as mine is rubbish (being a new player).

I enjoy a huge range of music, except reggae and mowtown, and I’m a former punk (from my misspent youth). What I do require in the music I listen too is something different, something not done before. This band ticks that box for me (as do Treacherous Orchestra et al). There is something that I find exciting about what these guys do, I only found them earlier this year -I was pointed to them by this chap - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yONNOslivGw&list=FLt0uHCQ8sZMwnJGsXwzdSKw&index=12

Since finding them I’ve become friends with Iain (the whistle player) and he’s giving me lessons. Like I said, I don’t go for technical, I go on feel. This music made me sit up and listen and it made me want more of the same.

Oh, and I’m not sponsored by them and they haven’t asked me to post anything. I just feel that they need more exposure.

Rich

A bit of fun, and I got a smile out of it and I value smiles… 😉