Rory Gallagher

Rory Gallagher

I know he’s not trad, but he’s Irish. I hadn’t ever heard if him, until a few months ago. And I was definitely around in the ’60s. Hendrix and Clapton, it is said, claimed Gallagher to be the best guitarist. I wonder why he never made it in the States. He is pretty darn good. I’m partial to Clapton, just so ya know. Thoughts?

http://youtu.be/CL80jFkLzQ0

Re: Rory Gallagher

Thanks, Johnny. Great tune! I will have to try to find it at iTunes. After I heard the Hendrix and Clapton claims, I watched a documentary about him on YouTube. I was amazed. My oldest son, aged 42, who plays guitar, said he had heard of him, but that’s all he could say. I know The Stones asked him to join them. Wish he had, but he’s more bluesy.

Thanks, Peter. Wish I was there. He was quite revered, I’d say.

Nice guitar solo. I just don’t get why he didn’t make it here, he was obviously gifted, he had the energy, he had the looks. Maybe he didn’t want to sell out. With bands like Zeppilin around, he should have fitted in nicely.

Rory was a fantastic live performer (with both Taste and his own bands).

He appears of Davy Spillane’s ‘Out of the Air’ album, and his own posthumous release, the all-acoustic ‘Wheels Within Wheels’, features collaborations with musicians such as Martin Carthy, Máire Ní Chathasaigh and Chris Newman, Juan Martin, Bert Jansch, The Dubliners, Bela Fleck and even Lonnie Donegan.

Here’s how good he was on the acoustic guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zFLGLFCb3w

Rory’s repertoire was huge, not least because of his parents’ traditional music background, but also because he served his time in showbands before forming Taste.

I play his albums regularly (they’re great for long drives) and wish he was still around making music. His brother Dónal has done a magnificent job in keeping our memories of Rory and ensuring that his huge musical legacy has not been forgotten.

Posted by .

"The festival is on this weekend"

Daughter (19) went up to Ballyshannon a few days ago for it. Beginning to feel old :(

Mind you, I always associate Cork more with Rory G.

Posted .

Son (also 19) hinted at it (needed a driver I suppose). Same feeling here.

Posted .

I think the first gig I ever went to was to see Paul Brady, but I’m pretty sure the second was Rory Gallagher. It would’ve been around 1986 or so, in Cork’s city hall.

It was great (although I had to miss the end of it to catch the last train back to Cobh) and boy, what a crowd: it felt like a real homecoming gig.

As an aside: being a teenager in Ireland in the ’80s was made easier on Sunday afternoons thanks to the TV show "MT USA" that used the intro from Rory Gallagher’s "Follow Me" as its title music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUZq0xIVWns

I had the pleasure of seeing him live in Leeds mid 1970’s - fantastic live act - long, value for money set when some groups barely gave you 40 mins -acoustic section in middle of gig - full of energy - he climbed up into the balcony to talk to a girl - and he changed a string on his guitar with one hand while continuing to play - mesmerising

Yup, Rory was the man. Luckily, my inclination to search out "characters" to talk to paid off one day whilst living in Madison. Lived there during my college days. A homeless guy named "radar Dan" living at a shelter, and known locally, and sadly, for his mental illnesses, gave me a copied cd of yer man. What a find.

"I wonder why he never made it in the States. He is pretty darn good. I’m partial to Clapton, just so ya know. Thoughts?"

He was afraid of flying so he didn’t tour over here (in the U.S.) much. One of my favorites; was introduced to him by a good FM radio station in the early 70’s.

Well, that explains it. I can relate to the fear of flying. Last flight 2003 to England. Next flight to Ireland, not sure when. Then that’s it. :) Too bad I missed Rory back in the day. Thanks for the memories!

Rory always had a bee in his bonnet about rock star fame and playing stadiums. He always saw himself as a working bluesman in checked shirt and jeans playing small venues. I saw him play many times and one gig I remember from 1980, long after he had become famous, was in a tiny GAA hall to no more than 100 people. He didn’t want the stretch limos and private jets. He just wanted to be a working musician on the road.
Anyone that hasn’t heard it should listen to his version of "Out on the Western Plains".

I saw him once at the Paradise, in Boston, MA around 1982-84, just spellbinding and loud.
Great show.