Would care to open a proper Irish Pub in Porto, Portugal?

Would care to open a proper Irish Pub in Porto, Portugal?

Dear sessioners,

Even though Porto has had a boom in tourism the last 7 years due to the arrival of Ryanair to its airport (i.e. : http://www.portugaldailyview.com/whats-new/porto-hike-in-citys-tourism-numbers-more-than-met-by-hotel-capacity) and the little know fact that the locals appreciate Irish culture quite a lot (i.e. Four Men and a Dog will be here next month playing in a town square), the local "Irish" pub has managed to become a no go area where only some brave Germans stop to see soccer matches. Sessions and gigs ceased to exist after years of happy coexistence. It seems the only connection to Ireland is the beer price. So, in a desperate attempt to bring things back to life, is there a brave souls who might as well make some good money and come to Porto with a business plan in their mind? We need you!

A very unhappy sessioner.

Re: Would care to open a proper Irish Pub in Porto, Portugal?

I was in Porto for a few months in 2005-2006. It’s a shame we didn’t meet then. I don’t know about opening a pub, but I’m always ready for a few tunes.

Interesting….

More pubs are shutting down than opening up, in UK, Ireland and I suspect Portugal, I guess despite the tourism upsurge, as you allege. The only exception seems to the Ivy House, Nunhead, London, and that’s a special case:
http://www.ivyhousenunhead.com/
Maybe try following their example!

Hello to everyone!

I’m going to reply to the 3 messages in the order of arrival :
- "Creator", where are you now? We need people in our sessions! And what do you play?
- "Gaitasdefora", where’s your business plan? I know that somwhere in your Irish veins there’s a dream of runing a Pub! I can help you drawing one from the hostel experience.
- "Maniac Lad", you have a point, but I have another, so it would be interesting to keep discussing this. First, the Pub you gave the link is a quite an interesting project. Do you know the place? Second, there’s no connection between UK and Ireland’s reality. Numbers first. Porto has 1.500.000 people (with suburbs) and a single Irish Pub that many in town know but almost no one goes cause it sucks. As far as my frequent trips to Ireland revealed the ratio of Pub per Irishman is amazing. While I think a Pub in porto would still be less than enough, the 3 pubs you see in any 500 - 800 heads town in IE seems to be a crazy number! What’s your opinion? More, many tourists seem to see the Pub as a meeting point when lost in translation. I see tourists heading to the pub only to find it’s a grim place. And then there’s the bunch of people who lived in the UK or Ireland and would like to keep a bit of the lifestyle. Numbers seem to add a bit. But what’s your experience on this? Where do you live?

To make myself clear(er), I’m not looking for a business partner here! I just want a home to play after work.

Ummm…..
How outrageous that the only Irish Pub in Porto is so bad and un-Irish!!!! Sounds like time for a bit of anarchy to me! Time for a ‘flash mob’ of Irish musicians to descend! I’m in - anyone else?! Set a date Joao!! 😀

Other than that - surely there must be a ‘day-cent’ (‘decent’) 😉 Irish (or Irish lovin’) landlord out there in need of a pub, and a move to more to sunnier clims!

Good luck in you quest Porto!
Karen

Joao - I’m in Wales now. That’s a bit too far for a weekly commitment, but I’d like to visit Portugal again some day and, if you do manage to get a session up and running in Porto, I’ll certainly put in an appearance. The only Irish ‘session’ (that is, it was listed here in the Sessions database) I found in Portugal was in a pub in Cascais, near Lisbon. The pub had changed its name, it was on a different night and it turned out to be more of a two-man gig - two Irish singer-guitarists, one of which was the manager and the other of which was also a banjo player. They were more than happy for me to sit in with them and supplied me with all the orange juice I could drink - and they were good at what they did - but it was hardly the kind of session I was looking for.

By the way, the ‘creadur’ part of my name is Welsh for ‘creature’. I would certainly never dub myself ‘creator’.
….although the two words are, of course, etymologically linked (like sculpture and sculptor), and I suppose ‘creadur’ is quite similar to Portuguese ‘criador’, so it’s an easy mistake to make.

Hi Creadur !

I’m at work now but I wanted to reply you as quick as possible. I don’t know if there’s a hidden function in this website but I don’t seem to receive any mail warning me about incoming mails. I shall read the settings again, it might be a faulty eye!

This weekend would be the perfect time to come. There will be a "celtic" music festival and Four Men and a Dog are coming to play. We’ll throw a session after the gig and see what happens.

About the regular sessions. Right now we’re only a handful playing, 3 to 5 people, which is very frustrating for me, I grew up playing Irish music in packed sessions in France. But this weekend Karen, who posted the message before yours is actually visiting and she happens to bring her flutes (which she plays very well) so we’ll surely have a good session somewhere in town. It’s unusually warm now, around 40 º C, it won’t be the usual session in a cosy pub but rather a cold beer somewhere outside …

I’m leaving you my mail and we’ll keep talking through there I suppose, this topic seems to be going somewhere else and I still believe one brave soul will read it and decide for a life change. I wish Danny MacKay, who wrote a short but interesting post, would reply!

PS - Sorry for the calling you the wrong name. And a small curiosity, the third post from this discussion is from an Irishman who hosts a small radio program in Portugal, you might find amusing the trad mix he does : http://gaitasdefora.wordpress.com/

I could be interested in creating a pub in the Faro-vicinity. I am currently in Hawaii and planning to visit Portugal when this pandemic is under control (praying it happens soon); anticipating being there in early February 2021.
I consider myself a fair mandola,tenor banjo player, (former guitar player like almost everybody), and learning the Anglo and English concertinas, . I have no experience in running a pub, but do have some in running businesses, and have spent a few hours in pubs over the years, so….
Why Faro? Well, I’m big into sailing, and think it might be a decent adventure sailing to Africa now and then,
and I’ve lived in warm climates most of my life.
If nothing else from this posting I’m hoping to get contacts with some Celtic musicians in Portugal before I head there. Mike Griffin dcapn@hotmail.com