Clareen Banjo Case

Clareen Banjo Case

Hi,

I’m looking at the Clareen tenor banjo case listed on Tom’s website for use as a good case for my Paramount Style A banjo.

Any opinions on what this case is like? Would it be suitable for flying? I had a look at other discussions here and it seems that these cases fit Paramount banjos well but I need to make sure the cases are sturdy enough for checking in when flying. Also, are they very heavy for carrying round?

Any help would be great, here’s the link if you want to have a look: http://www.banjo.ie/shop/Accessories_Extras_5

Cheers - Cam

Re: Clareen Banjo Case

Give Tom a bell, and ask him.

Tom himself has a Calton case for his banjo and that’s the case I’ll be getting when I get my new Clareen. Whatever case you decide upon if you are flying you need to pack the inside of the case with foam rubber. Your question about whether cases are sturdy enough for checking in when flying implies a high degree of optimism . I’ve only had one occasion that I’ve been unable to take one instrument on board(guitar or banjo), but if you’re carrying two you might have problems. Flashing my union card sometimes helps.

Yes Tony the Calton does look good, but very dear… I’ve been using an SKB which has survived for a good while but getting back to Sydney a few weeks back, the lid had been bent in transit and the case now leaks… so no good anymore unfortunately so I’d really rather get a tenor size one this time too. I’ve never had any luck getting the banjo on board unfortunately, domestically or internationally - they said I could if it was in a soft case but no way would I risk that!

I’ve sent Tom an email, but just was looking for a few opinions from those who use one of these cases as well

Tom sent my Clareen banjo and case to Australia without any problems. The case is very sturdy and well balanced to carry. I have not yet tried taking it on a plane though. Tom would be the best person to advise about fit for non-Clareen banjos. He’s very approachable and knowledgable. If email doesn’t suit you can phone/Skype him and have a chat.