Earworms

Earworms

As “trad” musicians, we tend to learn the vast majority of our tunes by ear. Because of this ability to hear a phrase and transfer it to our instrument/mind, do you think that make us more susceptible to earworms than the average person? I know I almost always have a tune or something of the like inching through my head… 🙂

Re: Earworms

A further thought: Maybe we are no more susceptible to them than the average person, but we know better how to interpret what we are “hearing” in our head. What do you think?

I can’t walk away from a session without having some tune stuck in my head

That’s why I hate piped muzak in buildings and ‘background’ music on videos and radio programmes – I always have my own internal music going through my head, and it causes interference.

Posted by .

Gam, what happens when you try to go see a band? 😛

I always have a tune, or a song, or something going on… it’s just natural to me but people I’m with complain about me constantly drumming or tapping my foot…

Possibly, we are average people who have just chosen to partake in music sessions.

Not just trad. I have always had ear worms regardless of the music type. Now that trad is one of my two primary music genres I always walk out with some tune particulary “stuck”.

Where it is annoying is when I leave a session that was loud because of high background noise. I often get in the car and shut off the radio/cd/ipod aux in music just to decompress and enjoy the silence. Then comes the tune…loud and clear

I think anyone who enjoys any type of music will get earworms. I also get scraps of quotations etc, and particularly songs. I love the way the unconscious mind works. e.g. you look at a fruit stall and two minutes later your mind breaks into ‘YES - we have no bananas!’ One of the most poignant examples of this was after my father died suddenly (in 1969). He was a Scot & brought us up with Scots songs and all that week my little sister found herself singing, ‘O there’s nae luck aboot the hoose … there’s little pleasure in the hoose noo our gudeman’s awa’!’

If you get an earworm of a song/tune you hate, just over-ride it with one you like. Works for me!

Love the crawly earworms that wiggle into my ears for tunes I’m learning.

A trick that I learned for scary, bad pop, etc … music that tries to attach to my ears is to humor sing the old Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” …

“One pill makes you larger

And one pill makes you small.
And the one Mother gives you don’t do anything at all.“

The invasive tune will vanish

I take no responsibility for what happens to anyone who tries this. It works for me.

Another example of the games one’s unconscious plays: today, as I was driving along Lowestoft seafront on the way to my fiddle lesson, I saw Billy Smart’s big top. Two minutes later I burst out into: ‘Goodbye, cruel world, I’m off to join the circus!’ - Which, given the way the lesson went, I probably should. 🙂