Help improve the sessions section

Help improve the sessions section

Hey everyone, I’d like to enlist your help if I may. It’s about the sessions section of this site:
https://thesession.org/sessions

It has been going strong for many years now, but a lot of people have been complaining about how out-of-date the information is. To try to rectify that, I made a change a while back that allows *anyone* to edit the details of a session (not just the person who originally submitted the session).

So I was thinking: if everybody took a little time to check the sessions near them and updated any details that needed updating, then it would make an enormous difference to the usefulness of that part of the site.

The quickest way to see which sessions are listed near you is to go to your member profile, add your location (if you haven’t already) and click on the "nearby sessions" link under your map. Alternatively you can simply do a search for your town or area from the sessions section:
https://thesession.org/sessions/search

Here’s the important bit: how to remove a session that is no longer running…

Please *don’t* edit the name or address of the venue in an attempt to remove it. Instead simply deselect whichever day or days are currently selected. Once you do that, the session will be marked as defunct and will no longer appear in search results.

And, of course, if you know of a session near you that isn’t already listed, please feel free to add it:
https://thesession.org/sessions/add
(but be sure to do a search first to make sure it isn’t already listed).

I understand why people are so frustrated with the out-of-date information in the sessions section. In hindsight, it was a mistake to have sessions only be editable by the person who submitted it for all those years. But now that the site is working more along the lines of the Wikipedia model, I think there’s a real opportunity to make the sessions section much more useful.

So…

If you see a session with the wrong days listed, click "edit session details" and update the schedule.

If you see a session with the wrong or incomplete address, click "edit session details" and update the details.

If you see a session that you know is no longer running, click "edit session details" and deselect whichever days are currently selected in the schedule.

If you have any further information to offer about a session, please leave a comment.

One of my goals with running this site is to help people get together and play music together face-to-face …not just computer-to-computer. 😉 I’d really appreciate your help with this.

Re: Help improve the sessions section

Excellent suggestion.
Will make time later today to check through ones I’m aware of current status.

Thanks for the heads up, Jeremy. I’ll have a look at the sessions in my area.

How do I alter my original posting? My weekly session has now become twice a month..

OK. I’ll to try to make some actualization of the sessions in my region (when I’ll to know the details about it). I say, that information about Tawerna Pod Kilem in Poland (Wroclaw) is 3 Y. old 🙂 I know, that the sessions in this pub in the present time are planed in the different Monday’s and my band will to play in this pub too (I think in the July or August). I’ll tray to speak with the chef of this pub to inform me about all sessions planed for his pub.
Just now we are searching a place of our regular sessions in the South-West Poland or North-West Czech Rep. (in the old Celtic center), just on the Polish-Czech border. I think in the next Months we can to add a new session place. I hope to successfully do it 🙂
Best regards - Chris, The Green IRISH Team, Poland
(p.s. Sorry for my English language quality.)

Hi Jeremy,
Will do. Great site, has been so useful and fun!Pandora

peakfiddler asked:
"How do I alter my original posting? My weekly session has now become twice a month.."

You can simply add a comment to that effect. There’s a lot of session listings like that: the comments will say "first Sunday of the month" or "third Tuesday of the month".

Good idea!
I have removed the one at Jamesons’s (Cologne, Germany).
Will check later and correct the one in Aachen to reflect new location and time as comemnted by Toby already.

Well done, there are some session listings (on other sites) that are many years defunct. Mind you, it’s difficult to keep track of developments even in ones own area, what with changes of management, pub closures, pubs turning into resturants and lost interest by musos.

I just want to say I really appreciate your site and compliment you on our hard work to keep it going.

Posted by .

Thanks Jeremy. I try to keep the ones I am aware of updated. I will have another look.

Sorry I’m not much help. I’ve never been to any of the sessions that are listed as "close by" for me because they’re quite a distance away by my standards. The only relevant session for me, Witten, has never been noted here and I have no idea if they are still running. Nevertheless the update will be helpful on my travels. Thanks everybody.

Posted by .

I have edited a couple of sessions now thanks to your advice on how to amend! I totally agree with Suew’s comment above and also very much appreciate this site and the hard work that goes into managing it. It’s a great resource!

@Jeremy

A question concerning the address data of sessions in my area (Bristol, England). Some of these are listed as being in the county of of Somerset and some are listed as being in the county of Gloucestershire.

Neither is correct, as Bristol is not just a city, but a county in its own right - having been accorded that status by Royal charter in 1373. True, Bristol lost its county status in 1974 when it was assigned to the new county of Avon, but following the demise of Avon in 1995 it went back to being a county again and has retained that status since.

It doesn’t make sense having Bristol sessions listed in two different counties, but I’ve had no luck trying to change it.

On another matter, session.org lists a session at the Vaynol Arms as follows:

Nant Peris, Caernarfon LL55 4UF, Nant Peris, Pembrokeshire, Wales

https://thesession.org/sessions/742

As it happens, I do know this pub (although I’ve no idea whether the session is active or not). What I do know for sure is that the pub is in the county of Gwynedd (North Wales) and not in the county of Pembrokeshire (West Wales). Again, I’ve tried to correct this - but to no avail!

Yeah, the way that English counties change ever few years is extremely frustrating. 😏

I’ll unify them all under Somerset (even though, as you point out, that isn’t strictly true anymore).

Can you point me to the Bristol sessions that aren’t listed for Somerset? (I can’t seem to find any)

Hear, hear. All set for Florida, or ‘Floriduh’ if spoken in the correct regional accent.

Jeremy: "Can you point me to the Bristol sessions that aren’t listed for Somerset? (I can’t seem to find any)"

There certainly *were* some sessions listed as being in "Bristol, Gloucestershire" - but I too have just searched without finding them. Maybe they are defunct sessions, no longer searchable in the sessions DB. My apologies if I misinformed you on that specific point.

But why not "unify" them as being in the county of "Bristol", for that is where they are?

P.S. Did you manage to find out why Nant Peris is being listed as being in Pembrokeshire?

I deleted a local session that died a few months ago. I put in a comment when things ended, but it has finally become apparent that it is gone for good. Sessions are like music, I guess, here with us for a few lovely moments, but then, except for the memories, gone drifting on the wind…

Thank you 🙂