John Sindt - Update on Acquiring Whistles

John Sindt - Update on Acquiring Whistles

I’m interested in acquiring of Sindt’s whistle, as I’m not from the U.S. I sent him an e-mail. But I read some old posts about him and was wondering, is his receiving new orders? Does he answer the e-mail: sindtwhistle@aol.com? If not, how can I contact him? How big is his waiting list today? I would be very grateful if anyone could help.

Re: John Sindt - Update on Acquiring Whistles

I guess the best way to get these questions would be to contact him. He is a nice guy, and I am sure he will help answer any questions you have. Also, C&F might have more info on him than here. I think that is his email, or it might be sindtwhistles… not too sure. Sorry if my comment did not help out.

The email address that you have sindtwhistle@aol.com was still active in April 2012 and John was responding. At that time, I received whistles that I waited 15 months for but he commented that he had temporarily stopped taking orders for whistles because he had so many orders to fill. His whistles are great and worth waiting for if he is able to take your order. Keep trying. Good luck.

Yes, he hasn’t been taking orders for quite some time now. As mentioned above ^ the people on his current waiting list are also waiting quite some time for theirs. There are a lot of people out looking for them, so they oftentimes go for over double the price they would cost new. I am glad I got mine when I did, as I’ve seen them go for over 400USD more recently.

Even though they don’t come up used so often, and when they do they are usually expensive, I would still say your best bet is to try to find a used one. His list isn’t open, so I’d recommend just keeping an eye on the usual websites where such things come up used. If you keep your eyes open in the right places, you will get lucky eventually. Not much else one can do to get one at this time.

On the other hand, there are several exceptional whistles available that are more easily obtainable and with little wait. While the Sindts are amongst my favourites, I must say that there are equally good whistles out there right now, which are easier to obtain, at that.

Good luck, in any case!

Thank you all for the help. As it seems its very hard to obtain one of Sindt’s Whistle. What interested me in the Sindt’s whistles is that it is described as having both the quality of a high-end whistle and the unique rough sound of a inexpensive whistle, so could someone recommend other high-end whistles that has this characteristic?

I’d recommend the Bluebird whistle from Jerry Freeman, as I feel it retains a lot of the character of the even cheaper whistles, while having a higher standard of quality.

It’s not very expensive, at around 30USD, but I consider it to be well worth a try, at very least. Despite having Sindts on hand, I still play it most every day. It is cheaper, and not so pretty, but beyond that I think it’s of a very high quality of sound and playability, for me. Your opinion may or may not differ.

When it comes down to it, the player is what matters most, anyway. Look at what so many fine players are able to get out of those cheaper whistles. Most any whistle can sound good or terrible, depending on who is playing it. To be honest, I’m not sure what is meant by "high-end" , and whether that refers to actual quality, or rather price.

That’s kind of the thing, isn’t it? I know I’ve played on a number of $100+ whistles that could not even begin to compete with my Freeman Blackbird…

Im a convert to Olivier Bouchard’s hand made whistles, I tried a freeman but was not impressed . M Burkes whistles are also top notch. I laugh when people talk about the price of a high end whistle, they are still super cheap when compared to fiddles, guitars pipes etc etc. Good luck in yr search.

I contacted him around a month ago and he said there’s a waiting period of almost 18 months. I still have enqueued my order :D

Meanwhile, I got a set of Syn D, Bb, C whistles (Erle Barlett from Australia) and am generally pleased with those. Not much experienced in this area though, it’s the first time I ordered a relatively expensive whistle!

" I laugh when people talk about the price of a high end whistle"

Well, I wasn’t speaking so much about the overall expense of a high-end whistle, which you are right is not much in comparison to other instruments. I was rather mentioning that the price isn’t necessarily what distinguishes something as being "high-end" . Not to mention, while 400$ is still cheap for any instrument, I am not so sure the price reflects a 100-300$ difference in quality, but rather is just a result of inavailibility. After all, they are going for twice the price they are sold for by the maker. Don’t get me wrong, Sindts are worth that price, and I cherish mine greatly, but there are other things around that are cheaper and no worse. My response might also be the result of seeing people pleading in a Sindt frenzy, thinking they absolutely require one (for competitions, etc), on a number of occasions. Anyway, just wanting to clarify as to why I brought up the point of price.

If you are willing to try something outside of the realm of having the same types of qualities as the cheaper whistles, I’d highly recommend the whistles that Marc Löfgren in Sweden makes. He makes a brass/blackwood one that I consider almost like a more robust Sindt in some ways, but really rather unique overall, and it’s my favourite D whistle. He also makes some all-aluminium alloy whistles that are somewhat goldie-esque in ways. Altogether both are very different. He’s not a well-known maker and doesn’t have a website, but I heavily recommend giving them a try. They are around 100 USD, I believe.

<<I was rather mentioning that the price isn’t necessarily what distinguishes something as being "high-end">> I agree, I wasn’t referring to yr post in particular, just a general comment.

been looking at the Lofgren whistles, they look seriously good and great reviews. If I was looking for another whistle id give his brass and blackwood a shot. thanks for the heads up. I prefer a wood fipple and brass bodied whistle so they look very tidy.
http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89901&start=30

Actually i consider the Löfgren brass/blackwood D "a Sindt with more ‘body’" (pun intended, as it is quite a heavy whistle, with thicker grade brass tubing than most.
I own both, but i’d say the Löfgren is every bit at least the Sindt’s equal. It also has a good oxxooo C-nat as opposed to the way sharp C-nat on the Sindt.

I have three Sindts, and I like them very much and play them all. If you are looking for other options though considering an 18 month waitlist, because they haven’t been mentioned yet, I would suggest considering Humphrey and Impempe. When I was moving into more high end whistles I was looking for those that still had some of the trad sound but were more reliable than the cheap ones; settled on Sindt and Humphrey (I have a D+ and C set from Humphrey) and don’t regret either….different, but both great. The Impempe came along later and I love it too; more pure, maybe more like a Burke, but just a great whistle. All three of those guys, John Sindt, Gary Humphrey, and Ian Turnbull of Impempe are fine people to deal with. As far as Freeman’s, I have heard great things but never seen or played one, and haven’t seen the need as I’m happy with the ‘highish’ whistles I have….will add a couple of lower ones to my MacNeil someday. Re: cheap whistles versus ‘high end’…..I have lots of cheapies, and I play a lot better than when I first started buying whistles so I can make them work, but I have never regretted for a minute putting some money into better whistles. My family seems happy too, although my daughter has taken over one of my old Feadogs when she gets tired of fiddle.

Selling my Lofgren D/C combo at 150 eu , brass and blackwood. Brilliant whistle, seriously loud and clear but i just play the Bouchard so its up for grabs.