Herself has a question.

Herself has a question.

Maeve Binchy’s book ‘A Week in Winter’ apparently has several sequences where things occur in Sessiuns. A tune "Brendan’s Journey" (so the story says brings people to tears). is played often.

Been through our Tunes as well as C and F’s. No luck. Does anyone have any idea which tune is being referred to.

I play "The Navigator" aka St. Brendan’s which is a hornpipe. I can imagine my play of late would make people cry, though not moved by the tune 😉

Any assistance most Appreciated
D.

Re: Herself has a question.

I was certainly moved to tears by that, RtS.

Maeve was a very funny person and a great observer of the little things that make up human relationships in a way that only a woman could perceive. Can’t say I’ve read a lot of her work (the Lilac Bus sticks in my head and bits of others & newspaper columns), bit too much towards chicklit/ mills & boon for my taste but heard her interviewed several times. I could be wrong but I never heard or read anything that would suggest she was a fan of Irish trad music - so my guess would be that she simply made it up..

Posted .

Between David50 and the artiste formerly known as the hussar you have it. While not a trad aficionado, Maeve had a great love for the Brendan theme from Shaun Davey’s "The Brendan Voyage" suite as played by Liam. It was her favorite among her Desert Island Discs and was played, at her request, at her funeral mass. God be good to her.

Posted .

I played a private party for a screening of the film made from her book, "A Circle of Friends." As we were setting up for the gig, a female guest came into the room and I asked her if she had seen the film and if it was any good. She liked it well enough and we chatted for a bit and then each of us tended to our own business. Later that evening, she was introduced to the other guests as - you guessed it - Maeve Binchy.

Posted by .

Thanks for the info. Sorry to be on radar silence for a few days. Busy travel time and tough to do anything.

I will pass along.

Thanks
D.

reed….

The poor box. Or it it performance art?

Michael would could retire bringing that one back into shape LOL