Song about 2 brothers

Song about 2 brothers

I’m looking for information about a song about 2 brothers who fought against each other in the irish civil war. any help appreciated.

Re: Song about 2 brothers

Sorry, couldn’t find a song, but the trope shows up in other work.

Sounds like the plot of the (fictional) film
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_That_Shakes_the_Barley_%28film%29

““The Wind That Shakes the Barley” Two brothers join forces during the Irish War of Independence (1919-21) but find themselves on opposite sides during the ensuing Irish Civil War (1922-23) in this hard-hitting drama. Cillian Murphy, Padraic Delaney.”

“Hoping to avoid executing his brother, Teddy pleads with Damien to reveal where the IRA is hiding the stolen rifles, offering him full amnesty, a vision of Ireland at peace, and a life with Sinéad.”

“At dawn, Damien is marched before a firing squad. As both brothers fight back tears, Teddy gives the order, the squad fires, and Damien crumples to the ground.”

Similar to the scene in Dave Cousin’s/The Strawbs “Hangman and the Papist”, about a different time.

There’s also a book with a similar theme, brother against brother, The Soldier’s Farewell by Alan Monaghan (Pan Macmillan, 2012)
“Dublin, 1921. The Irish War of Independence comes to a head, in a conflict that will pit Irishman against Irishman, brother against brother . . . Stephen Ryan, an Irishman who fought for the British in the trenches, is sent to London where negotiations are beginning. He leaves behind his brother, Joe, who has been jailed for his actions in the IRA.”

And a short story:
The Sniper by Liam O’Flaherty (1897-1984)
http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/sniper.html

thanks all; just heard that it might be titled “Joe O’Connor”, but that didn’t reveal anything on mudcat.

I grew up in (and still live in) a house where the story goes that two brothers also grew up who subsequently emigrated from England to America and fought on opposite sides in the American Civil War.

As the house was only built in 1857 and the Civil War started in 1861, they must have grown up rather quickly. But then, people did in them days🙂🙂🙂.

Whether either or both survived the war, or met during or after it, we are not informed. Perhaps the whole tale is merely another piece of pie-eyed local mythlore, of which there is much.

In all events, I doubt if they confronted each other in climactic single combat while the Battle of Gettysburg stopped for a tea-break and bets on the winner.

There was a soapy pop-y folkie song called Two Brothers from the late ‘50s’, early ‘60s’, sentimental and crap, I’m afraid. I knew it, but I wouldn’t have sung it in public. I had too much sense, amazing in one so young…..
……ah, now I remember, AMERICAN civil war, wrong one.
Ooooops !

I wanted to clarify that I only searched for references to songs of the Civil War after the Irish War of Independence. There were plenty of other search results for the American Civil War, with brothers, Irish & otherwise. That was not what the original poster was seeking - wrong war, wrong time period, wrong location.

Whoops nevermind - wrong war (I was looking for Mick Ryan’s Lament)