Date of Session Tunebooks

Date of Session Tunebooks

Does anyone know the publication dates of Sully’s Session Tunes books, or even have a best guess? Their Sunday name is "Irish Traditional Music Session Tunes" by Anthony Sullivan, published by Halshaw Music, and there were three volumes, green, pink and brown.

Re: Date of Session Tunebooks

Interesting that they do not have a publication date on them. I have all three of them, plus ‘Sully’s Irish Music Book’, which has a ‘Copyright Halshaw Music 1979’ statement on the book’s title page. I guess the ‘Session Tunes’ were from around the same time.

I bought them all, around 1985.

Looking at the music notation, it looks as if it was (very well) hand-written (every note and marking is fractionally different).

Quite a change from the consistent typeface that comes out of an ABC mincer!

Thanks, Jim. Your reasoning fits in with my guess, but the perfectionist in me is annoyed that I can’t be definitive!

The piper on the cover is Felix Doran, born c. 1915, died 1972. He looks about mid-fifties there (give or take a decade!), so at a guess the photograph was taken late sixties, early seventies. That’s about the limit of my mathematical deductions, but it might give any Sherlocks a lead.

Posted by .

I recall hearing a banjo player at a session mentioning that Tony Sullivan was working on some books a few years after he won the All-Britain and All-Ireland banjo Championship (1976), so ….

Thanks a doggam bunch Nigel, for reminding me how old I am :)

According to the back page of book 2 the fiddler on the front cover is Andy McGann.

I was selling his books in the mid eighties, but can’t recall when they appeared on the market.

Maybe you can get the info off him.