How do I teach a guitar player to play a tune with me?

So I’m a fiddle player and I’m lucky to play at lots of sessions with great musicians, many of them Irish. I also have friends who play guitar and don’t know anything about Irish music, and from time to time they want to sit down and play a couple of tunes with me, and I don’t know enough about playing guitar to help them understand what chords to play and how to play them. Just recently I found some sheet music for the Kesh and Silver Spear that had chords written in, and figured these would be nice easy tunes, but that wasn’t too successful either. Explanations about theory are way too in-depth for this kind of situation because its just a casual sit-down for an hour at most. I know some really good players who can tell the guitar players what chords to play as the tune is in progress, and I’m thinking that’s probably what’s needed, but my guitar knowledge isn’t that great. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: How do I teach a guitar player to play a tune with me?

hold a shotgun in one hand and your Bible in the other and just stand over them until they get the message. No, wait, that’s what to do when a young fella wants to date your daughter… For a guitar picker, find some tunes that are three chord tricks and then just tell them its D,G and A and let their ears pull them to where they need to be. Then keep playing the tune, trainwrecks and all, until they start to get the feel of when they need to change. The first tune will be like wrestling alligators, but then they’ll start to get an ear for it

Yes -unfortunately, there are no real shortcuts. Putting sheet music and chord symbols in front of someone is only really of use if they can read music, since you can only tell where in the tune to change chord if you can follow the notation. Ultimately, to play any music half decently, the ear has to be the guide. Some people manage very well by ear alone; others may be helped along by some basic music theory (it really needn’t be any more than *basic*). But, short of employing someone to hold up flashcards to cue the changes, the only way is to learn to ‘hear’ the chords in the tune, and to find out, through bitter experience, what works and what doesn’t.

Kennedy, unless you play guitar yourself it would probably help them to learn some introduction from someone who has been playing the tunes on guitar for several years. But it all comes down to their interest & a willingness to listen to the tunes.

Posted by .

A lot of Dorian tunes can be accompanied with just two chords e.g. Cooley’s can be played with just E minor and D Major or, say, Behind the Bush in the Garden could be played with just A minor and G Major. That’s not to say you couldn’t add other chords,but in many cases just two will do. If the guitarist can’t hear where those changes go,don’t even bother,it’s hopeless-unless maybe the shotgun/Bible trick will work.

Apparently even the Chord Hat is not foolproof-at 1:08 it shows a G chord where A is correct.

Haha, the chord hat would work. 🙂 I do like the tune suggestions,though. Any more specific tunes that are three chord tricks? The sheet music definitely didn’t work. These particular friends were trained musicians and were totally locked into the page and not really listening to the sound of the tune. I’d rather trip to get them to listen to what’s going on—-plus I can have more eye contact that way.

Just like melody players, your friends will have to do some listening on their own to get to know the music in general (and specifically how chordal accompaniment can sound in this music). Sometimes the issue isn’t so much which chords new guitar players use, but how they’re strumming or picking them.

If you go to a couple sessions that already have some good backers, maybe invite your friends along to listen for a night? Or give them a stack of CDs with good examples.

They may be trained but they’re not musicians. Musicians listen.

Re: 3 chord trick in Minor, Mixoldian, Dorian?
"If three, even two chords are played tastefully (as in, you must remember the backer is not necessary to the music, does not need to cover the music by being too loud, does not need to "drive the melody" but a good one can add another very interesting dimension), played in good timing, and in the right progression for each individual tune, that’s ok…. it can work. I’d just find it terribly boring somehow, you might have more fun learning the ins and outs and twists and turns of each tune, and being really with them at each step."

Posted by irisnevins on January 17th, 2010

https://thesession.org/discussions/23610#comment490664

Posted by .

"(sorry, couldn’t resist it)
David50

No need to be sorry, the old ones are best

They might be very fine musicians when playing in a style they know, but itm can be very different. I played guitar for much of my life, then discovered Irish music and the fiddle—and pretty much put down the guitar. When I do pick the guitar up from time to time, I’m always struck with how damn difficult it is to back Irish music properly. Here are some thoughts:

• Try starting out playing half speed.

• Decent chords are important, of course, but I think it’s the left hand that trips people up when they’re not used to playing Irish music (assuming right handed musicians)

• Tunes with more downbeat emphasis, like a polka or a hornpipe, might be easier for them to follow and hear the beat

• Reels can be slippery creatures and the beat might not be as sharply defined as it is in a lot of mass market music— it might help if they kept in mind a rhythmic mnemonic like "black-and-DECKer black-and-DECKer…"

• You might want to steer clear of time sigs outside of 4/4, 2/4 or 2/2. No jigs or (yikes) slip jigs!

darn it— I meant to say that it’s the right hand, the strumming hand, that trips people up…

I might be unleashing my inner Gill here,but I would repeat: real musicians listen. In any style and especially when backing on an unfamiliar tune and/or unfamiliar style. Over the years I’ve come to realize that making music is 90% listening and 10% playing. Listen more,play less,and you won’t get into trouble. I would add that personally I would not back up a tune a didn’t know,but that doesn’t exactly help the OP

The hard ones first, eh ?

I’ve been in touch with Toad of Toad Hall. Turns out you can’t teach them, but you can learn’em.

Even if they use the chords by their chord names, it would do no harm to knock out the 3rds. All of them 🙂

‘—and whack ‘em, and whack ‘em, and whack ‘em!’ cried the Toad in
ecstasy, running round and round the room, and jumping over the chairs.

When my guitarist friend showed an interest in playing, we sat down together and went through a couple of tunes. First thing was to establish the key and a starting chord. Of course he started out playing the chord until he expected a change, then immediately go to what he thought would come next, which would invariably be wrong. Eventually I managed to get him to play the same chord throughout the tune. He didn’t like it one bit; but he began to realise that the tune would ‘come back’ into the chord if he held it; and it gave him a sort of feel for the overall shape.
After that it was a matter of finding a chord that he could play where the first one was absolutely wrong, which would take a bit of working out as his ideas weren’t always the same as mine; but eventually we would sort something out. If there were still places where he found himself grimacing, we would repeat the process; but only where the chords sounded wrong, and never to ‘fill out’ or ‘modify’ what I was playing.
One of the hardest things for him to get was that the chords don’t change according to the bars — sometimes you can play the same thing practically all the way through, then have six different chords for the last six notes.
That was years ago, and now he just watches my fingers and can play more or less on the fly. It helps a bit that he plays a bit mandolin and I play guitar, so we can shout at each other and nod or pull faces and more or less communicate our intentions.
It’s still a relief when he puts down the guitar, though, and picks up the mandolin. Bliss.

Posted by .

A good guitar accompanist is worth his/her weight in gold. You never really hear them in sessions but by heck you miss them when a player of lesser standard sits in - and you do hear them!
As some above have alluded to I think the real issue is of musical ability as opposed to musical skill. A good muso will feel what’s happening in the music and move accordingly, irrespective of ability. It’s not necessarily something that can be taught albeit there are plenty guitarists out there who know all the fancy chords but yet don’t seem to be able to use them appropriately!
Your friends would be best to learn rhythm first - that’s probably key to keep the tunes trucking along - even using straight forward CAGED chords it will sound good for session purposes. Keep them at it though 🙂

Yeah, the rhythm was tough to explain, too. I played through jigs a couple of times & exaggerated the rhythm a little, but that didn’t help them figure out how to strum, which I don’t know how to explain. Kind of the blind leading the blind, there. Suggestions for that are also welcome.

Point him to some good guitar players and some resources. It’s not technically difficult to execute on the guitar. Most of it is extremely easy. Much easier than classical guitar.

If the player is willing to listen, it will come to them quickly. If they aren’t willing to listen on their own time, then I wouldn’t waste time trying to teach them anything and just play solo, or switch to a style they do understand. You can be a very fine guitarist and not be able to play Irish trad.

Incidentally, John Doyle did a pretty good video a while back for Acoustic Guitar magazine. They youtubed about a minute of it, but the actual vid is much longer and available on their website. You may need to get a subscription.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-g9DwgwleQ

There’s the short version, with Doyle going over his chordal approach to The Wind that Shakes the Barley. You could start with that. I can’t find the long version on the Acoustic Guitar Magazine website. I was able to watch it online a couple of years ago and I thought it was very useful.

As an average guitar player since 1960, who is just getting interested in ITM, I can tell you, it is not the chords that are the problem, it is the rhythms or strums. 3/4 and 4/4 OK, maybe 6/8 but 9/8 for slip jig like The Foxhunter? OMG. Up-down-down three times per bar? I Googled "guitar strums for Irish traditional music." Got LOTS of hits, this is the first one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIUlhE-tQ20. What a guitar player could do, besides listening a lot, which should without saying, is get some basics from the YouTubes by accomplished players.

What 5stringfool said:
"That’s not to say you couldn’t add other chords,but in many cases just two will do. If the guitarist can’t hear where those changes go,don’t even bother"

I’ve played with a few so-called backers who couldn’t even figure out when to change chords, in simple two-chord tunes.

The trial-and-error approach as suggested by many is a good one, and basically the only way there is, unless you have somebody explain it all for you. To kennedy, the original poster - when do you guitar playing friends want to (be able to) join you? Next session? Next month? In three months? I’m not suggesting that a guitarist has to learn the melody of every tune he/she is going to back, but being able to hear "where the melody goes" is a prerequisite.

Good luck.

I play basic guitar, have hobby level musicianship, and have a little understanding of what is going on in a session. If there is no other rythm player that I would clash with I play the 3 basic chords of the key of the tune. If the tune is in D, then I will play a D chord for the first three measures and usually every fourth measure play either the fourth or fifth chord (G or A) depending on how the tune sounds and adjust the next time around if I’m wrong. So basically the key chord acts as a drone, which lends itself to celtic music anyway. If you have guitar players that just want to sit with you from time to time without the commitment, then this is the best they can do. Otherwise they probably need to learn the tunes as much as you.

I find a cattle prod works wonders. "Not that chord!" *zap* They soon learn.

You have my deepest sympathy and commiserations.

Simple fact is if it’s someone’s first time accompanying traditional Irish tunes it’s not easy. It’s easier to learn a few tunes than it is to play good accompaniment. Yes, there are some simple tricks & they can work nicely. But whenever I’ve seen a newbie guitarist using the tricks of the trade they usually get bored before too long. The good one’s learn to listen & make progress on their own motivation. The less ambitious ones continue using their tricks & stay at the same level. If you want good guitarists have them learn the tricks but it’s just the tip of the iceberg for anyone who plans to be good at accompanying tunes.
It may be simple; doesn’t mean it’s quick or easy.

Posted by .

kennedy, If you click on my user name and look at my profile, there is a little article on accompanying Irish music that I prepared for cases like what you are experiencing. It is designed to give a guitarist who has never played this music before enough information to get started. I collected this information from a variety of helpful sources when I was learning, and collected it in an effort to pass that kindness along. Maybe it can help your friend in getting his or her foot in the door.
I am not surprised that you folks are finding it difficult. Often, the chords that are attached to tunes in books are a bit more complicated than they need to be, and actually complicate the task for the beginner. Those who are new to this music can find jig rhythms difficult at first. Reels move along at a brisker pace than typical songs, and require fast strumming that requires a bit of practice to get the hang of. Like fidkid says above, slow the pace down—that’s how me and my wife did it when she was learning fiddle and I was learning to accompany her.
Good luck, and enjoy!

I’ve noticed not only beginners on trad backing having problems with jig rhythm but even some who can accompany reels, hornpipes & polkas (intermediate & advanced players) having problems backing jigs. Yet if I teach someone their first tunes (melody) I always begin with jigs & they get the rhythm. Usually even better than they do with hornpipes or polkas to begin.
So why is it strummers have difficulty with the rhythm of jigs?

Posted by .

Most guitar players are used to playing exclusively in 4/4 time,unless they played in a Jethro Tull tribute band.

Don’t forget waltzes. Guitarists know lots of waltzes.
I can almost guarantee; show me a guitarist who just finished playing a waltz & she or he can sing the waltz. They may not know the words, but they know the tune.
Now, try that with your average strummer who just finished backing a jig. Sing the tune? It’s completely different story.

Posted by .

The DUD DUD strumming pattern, especially when playing jigs at full speed, can trip people up. Another alternative, DUD UDU, does not require two downstrokes in a row, but some folks have trouble putting the proper emphasis on an upstroke.
It is not necessarily the best way to accompany a jig, but a humpty dumpty DU DU strum, kind of a slow single jig pattern, seems to be the easiest entry point for the uninitiated.
Another hint that I got early on from Robbie O’Connell is that you should not feel like you have to strum across all the strings all the time. Strumming across just two or three can speed things up considerably, and gives you a nice light sound.

I love a nice light sound with jigs.

Posted by .

I’m off to buy turkey basters, tubing and blowey party favors. Seriously!

?

Is there some connection Mz WhiteBread?

Posted by .

Na eisc—see first YouTube link. All will be revealed, and then you will be off to buy turkey basters and blowey party favors. 🙂

Teach them the actual tunes so they can go home and work out the chords. If they know the tune well enough, even if they couldn’t play it at full speed, it’s easier to work out suitable chords. That way they wouldn’t wreck what you were doing or clash with each other.

Posted by .

Thanks Michele. I should have seen that one coming.
Mz WhiteBread here are some jigs to try out your new hat - - >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0JgsX4T7N4

Tony McManus ~ Muireann’s

Have fun!

Who’s the fluter?

Posted by .

I used to struggle with the same question kennedy. I occasionally find myself in a similar situation, but it’s always a campfire sort of setting, not a professional one. I finally realized that since there’s no money on the line, who cares if it doesn’t sound as good as it can, as long as people enjoy themselves? So I say "accompanying Irish music is different than accompanying what you’re familiar with, but that’s all I know about accompanying Irish music. Here are the keys the tunes I’m about to play are in, and I’ll signal the key change. Knock yourselves out." Sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it doesn’t, but nobody demands their money back, so close enough.

But there are limits. I was recently at a campout playing the fiddle when three other campers pulled out djembes or dumbeks or whatever those things are. After the tune was done, one of them grinned and said "have you ever been accompanied by a dumbek before?" I replied "not well!"

I might be kind of a jerk.

get him to sing the tune then tell him to go away work out and practise the chords.

Posted .

If you want to teach a guitarist to play a tune with you, teach the guitarist to play a tune — a melody.

If you want to teach a guitarist to accompany you, to back you up with chords, teach the guitarist to play a tune — a melody.

It is the responsibility of the guitarist to learn to play some basic chords, to learn to play basic chord changes, and to learn to match chords to melody notes, measures and phrases by ear. If your guitarist does not already know these basics without prompting, expecting them to learn on the fly how to back you up will not work. If the guitarist plans to play or accompany Irish traditional tunes or songs, the guitarist is also responsible for listening to Irish traditional music — on recordings, on the Internet, live at concerts and sessions. With respect to sessions, the operative word is "listen." Flailing around or noodling aimlessly in a session prevents learning and annoys musicians and listeners.

The basics — learning to play (or at least hum) melodies, learning chords, changes and backup to specific tunes and practicing the same — should be done in private, with teachers, in classes and workshops — but not at sessions.

I play jigs like D D UDU.

Actually I put the strongest emphasis on the second down stroke, might sound weird but in practice it seems to sound good, nobody has complained yet.

That’s a pattern I’ve never seen anyone using Earl, I’ll have to give it a try!

Ah, I was very vague … apologies …. as I was in such a rush to go shopping for turkey basters …. I was referring to David50’s stellar video posted above. When my daughter visits, she attempts to play guitar while I pluck out the melody on the mandolin. I’ve tried everything: notation with chords, shouting out notes, slowing down …. she’s just not there yet.
===================================================================
I’m off to buy turkey basters, tubing and blowey party favors. Seriously!
# Posted by Mz WhiteBread 23 hours ago.
?

Is there some connection Mz WhiteBread?
# Posted by Na éisc 23 hours ago.

TONY MACMANUS Muireann’s jig …. lovely! Thanks Na éisc for posting. Reckon it’s gonna take more than 3 basters and party favors for that one.

Tried getting my husband to play along with some jigs on his acoustic and it just got to the point where I had him strumming once per 3 quarter notes. Just for something, anything! Haha He is just so used to 4/4 time.

That’s grand, Mz WhiteBread, I’ve seen the bit so many times before I didn’t bother to click on it this time around. I’m up to speed now so all is fair in love, tubing, & blowey party favours.
Have you tried having her play a tune on D whistle first & from there to the harmony bits w/guitar?

Posted by .

BTW, does anyone have the turkey basters for young Muireann’s Jig?
Just kidding, but I would appreciate it if anyone knows who the fluter is playing w/Tony McManus.

Ben

Posted by .

IMNSHO anyone who strums all six quavers to the bar for a jig deserves to have their ears boxed. They’re assuming, for a start, that they can keep in time with whoever is playing ( that’s a big question for one ) PLUS where are the holes for the music to come through ?
But for a beginner in accompanying jigs ( typed JUGS first time ) try getting them to chant "Diddle-ee, diddle-ee" over and over again till they understand the rhythm.

In My No Shite Honest Opinion?

Re: IMNSHO?

Irish Music Needs Some Holes, Obviously?

Posted by .

…esp as that’s a reel rhythm 🙂

Well, Na éisc, I have a coupla whistles, next time she comes to visit …. I’ll suggest playing a tune on one…. I think I know what she’ll do and the face she’ll make. I’ll keep you posted. 🙂

But for a beginner in accompanying jigs ( typed JUGS first time ) try getting them to chant "Diddle-ee, diddle-ee" over and over again till they understand the rhythm.
that is ok, but i prefer bass string only once for two quavers, treble string pluck one quaver .gives more of a feeling of long short that in my opinion is what jig rythym is all about, diiddle ..ee didle ..ee, is ok mixed up with bass played once for 2 quavers, and strum for one quaver, dependent on where the holes are in the tune

Posted .

with jigs, if you tell then to pick DUD-DUD-DUD..etc that actually works. The thing that you have to understand as a melody player is that if they have never used that picking pattern before, they probably are not going to be able to do it smoothly right then and there. If they are a friend of yours, have some patience and give them some time to get practiced up.

for reels, tell them to just keep 1234-1234-1234-1234 going and use the palm of thier hand to sort of mute the strings. Its amazing how fast can help a jangly guitar strummer

but if all else fails, just remember…Bible in one hand, shotgun in the other. that’ll teach them guitar pickers!

Thank you, Mz WhiteBread. I doubt it will help if she doesn’t want to play whistle. Might be better to stick with your original plan so she doesn’t need to make faces.

Posted by .

Jim Dorans, If you think "Diddle-ee, diddle-ee" is a reel rhythm, you must pronounce the words much differently than I do.

[*Jim Dorans, If you think "Diddle-ee, diddle-ee" is a reel rhythm, you must pronounce the words much differently than I do.*]

Al, glad you picked up on that one. It was Pete above who used that phrase and I knew exactly what he meant, and (probably) so did everyone else. I was just tormenting him in a friendly way. He used it in the context of a beginner learning accompaniment to jigs. So, a complete novice reading that might have read two hyphenated words, repeated, and think the rhythm was "Diddle-ee, diddle-ee, 1, 2, 3, 4, Diddle-ee, diddle-ee, 1, 2, 3, 4" , which would of course is not a jig rhythm.

If Pete had said "feckity-fackity, feckity-fackity" then that would (or should) unambiguously shout out 6/8 to you, thus avoiding the temptation to box anyone’s ears.

And yes, we do pronounce our words properly this side of the pond 🙂

You’ve probably come across this before.

Just on a side-note here, about musical onomatopoeia (if you can call it that) … in Indian music, if the melody player want to communicate a rhythm to the tabla player, he could say ‘ta-ka-TI-ka-ta-ka-TUM’ … and that’s pretty much what the table player whacks out 🙂

I know in the spirit of propriety I should say something serious and profound. But since clearly many good and thoughtful technique suggestions have been offered and my exercises with trying to find cooperative guitarists have ranged from futile to farcical, I thought I would stick the to reality of the guitar players I’ve worked with.

Provide plenty of beer, pizza and a sweet young thing to sit next to him…..

Hey,
the best advice that I can give you is to KNOW what the chords are to your tunes.
(you don’t have to play the guitar, just so you could play them on your fiddle) and
be able to yell them out when your playing.

Oh and if the guitar player is to much of an idiot to know what the beat is, I what give up on him/her altogether.

Chords are only part of it, you need the right voicings and its almost never what you get from standard open chord shapes.

The quickest road is to drop the low E to D, learn to play the melodies (the chord shapes show themselves, and in the right voicings)

studying uilleann pipe regulator chords wouldn’t hurt either neither would listening to players like Paul Brady or Daithi Sproule etc…

Playing no more than 3 to 4 strings at a time is a biggie too.

You don’t.
I am finding the lengthy explanations somewhat silly. The guitar player needs to learn it themselves, by listening to the tunes, finding a source, and listening some more.
They either have the knack, or they don’t They either have the will to learn it themselves, or they don’t.

Re: How do I not teach a guitar player to play a tune with me?

TEHTN OTD
TEHTW2L OTD

Posted by .

^(I would have thought there was "like" button by now)^

I must be more of a geezer than I thought. I have no idea what TEHTN OTD and TEHTW2L OTD means.

Ben’s lost most of the keys on his keyboard, but the Caps Lock is still there 🙂

(psssst, Nate, read my post just above)

I get it now. I thought is was some sort of new texting speak that’s all the rage these days.

you know, there was a time when I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was

Sorry Nate. I gnu I shouldn’t have used the N for "K"nack. 😉

Posted by .

I somehow don’t think that would have made any difference. My understanding of that sort of thing is knackered to begin with. I was just hoping that whatever it meant, it was something clean because there’s kids on this board 🙂