Tune posting étiquette - guidance please

Tune posting étiquette - guidance please

A comment I posted some days ago in the Tunes section, under The Old Road to Garry (https://thesession.org/tunes/3671#comment690167) has been greeted with deafening silence, so I ask the question again here.

I vaguely recall reading something years ago to the effect that it wasn’t the done thing to copy settings out of books and post them on the custard - sorry, mustard - board.

The tune in question, a Paddy O’Brien composition, has four parts and is in C, but all the settings posted so far have only two. A friend of mine asked where he could get dots for the original four-part composition. I have the Paddy O’Brien definitive collection, and it’s clear from comments posted above mine that other contributors do too, and could therefore easily have posted the full tune.

I have transcribed it into ABC for my friend. Should I post it? Your thoughts please - particularly if you are Jeremy or one of the old guard who have posted hundreds of settings over the past decade. Thanks!

Re: Tune posting étiquette - guidance please

Since there doesn’t seem to have been any problem with various settings of the tune as a 3-part reel being here since it was posted 8 years ago, by the same token, I can’t see why there should be a problem with the full, original 4-part tune being posted.

Posted by .

Opinions will vary, no doubt. My 2p: go ahead and post the setting taken straight out of the book, but be clear about where it comes from and give enough info that someone could look it up on the internets if they wanted to buy it. I don’t think you’ll be taking bread out of Paddy o’Brien’s mouth.

In my copy of ‘The Compositions of Paddy O’Brien’, on every page where a tune is printed, there’s a copyright notice for ‘JDC publications Ltd, Troon, Ayrshire, Scotland’, so that’s one criteria to consider.

" I don’t think you’ll be taking bread out of Paddy o’Brien’s mouth"

He died in 1991, so obviously not.
However, until 70 years have lapsed since his death, his compositions are protected by copyright.
Perhaps the best thing to do would be to contact Eileen O’Brien, his daughter, and co-publisher of "The Definitive Collection":

http://www.paddyobrienbook.com/contact.html

I’d definitely check for permission to copy from the book first as this tune is under copyright. Most of the time, although not always, copyright owners are prepared to permit publication if there’s no money changing hands and if correct attribution is made, but I would definitely contact either JDC or Eileenn O’Brien .
The settings posted in the tunes section here may have been from a recording of the tune played as a 2 part reel, and in D instead of the original C. I got my version from Martin Connolly’s "Fort Of Kincora", a classic of button accordeon. Incidentally I recorded a version of Paddy O’Brien’s "Ormond Sound" but when I listed composer as Paddy O’Brien with APRA/AMCOS it was’nt registered yet the printed sheet music for the tune is registered.

Jeeve, you’ll never satisfy everyone. Do what you think is best & give credit where credit is due. Screw the bloody étiquette; there’s usually vague consistency, I’d say possibly worse when you go out of your way (as you *obviously* seem to be doing). Simply document your source as thoroughly as you can (doesn’t always satisfy everyone) & *absolutely* include any & all commentary about your own interpretation of the setting.

Sorry I didn’t comment about copyright. I trust you’ll get that sorted properly since you seem good about following through on this.

Posted by .

Hello Jeeve. Talk about copyright here is almost laughable because strictly speaking thesession.org breaks copyright on a daily basis. However, I think there is a justification, at least in our own heads. A lot of what I do is research into tunes and how they spread, and I feel that many of the settings posted here are for research/comparison/discussion/discographical/biographical purposes, and it is fair use. That’s my justification anyway, and I’m sticking to it!!

I always prefer transcriptions from recordings or live players, but sometimes a book version is what’s required.

Thank you everybody. I confess I wasn’t worried about copyright. I think what is not to be copied is the printed book. I wouldn’t scan it or copy it and hand it around to my friends. (Well, not more than a page or two, anyway 😉 )

I was more concerned about transgressing an unwritten rule that contributing a setting from a book was contrary to the spirit of thesession - instead of doing the work of transcribing it yourself from a recorded version or one in your head.

The reason copyright didn’t enter my head is that - surely - Paddy O’Brien wanted his tunes to be played by as many musicians as possible - and I would say such a wish puts them in the public domain. I’m be surprised if anybody is getting royalties for any of the hundreds of recordings of his tunes anyway!

I’ll let the matter stew for a while before either posting the tune or, just possibly, contacting Eileen O’Brien. More of your thoughts are welcome though. Cheers, Steve.

I would have thought that the tune database here contains many entries that have been lifted straight from books - particularly older collections. It may be deemed ‘contrary to the spirit’ but it’s well established.

Posted .