Low D whistle suggestions

Low D whistle suggestions

I’ve been considering getting a low D whistle and I am looking for some advice/recomendations.

I have never blown into a low D. I’ve handled a couple but never one that I was invited to try out. (among the musicans I know playing someone elses whistle isn’t a biggie, after all Guinness kills germs you know, it’s just they don’t have low whistles) I did like the feel of the Chieftain, but have been told by a reliable source that they are shite.

My hands are hammy and I’m concerned about the stretch, even my Susato B flat cramps me if I play for an extended period, am I asking for carpal tunnel?

I don’t want to shell out for say a Copeland and I don’t like the plastic whistle sound, like say Susato (though they are nice and loud for outdoor playing and they play okay when they are cold)

Lastly, I wan’t to make the right decision and not have to buy two or three to find the right one. (my spouse can only take so much of my "instrument aquisition syndrome.")

Any thing usefull for my situation would be appreciated.

Thanks in avance.

P

Re: Low D whistle suggestions

hi chef,
well, i’m not that well versed in the low d whistle world. i suggest you submit your inquiry to the chiff and fipple whistle forum (http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewforum.php?f=1) You’ll get a bucket load of feedback there.

Now the reason i’m not well versed is that i have a copeland low d. got it a few years back before it costed an arm *and* a leg. It is a dream. i love it. If you’re serious, i’d say save up and shell out the cash for copeland ($475, ouch!). but i’m sure there are some other decent and less expensive choices out there.

No, if you’re playing the low whistle right, you should have no problems with the stretch. and fatter the fingers the better. It takes about six months to lock in; but after your hands get it, it’s no problemo. i can play the low d all evening without a flinch, and my hands aren’t particularly big.

that’s my two cents. good luck.

PS. low whistes should NOT be mistaken for fancy culinary equipment ;)

The low whistle I have is plastic (some sort of polymer) but does not have the "plastic sound" it has a rather flute like tone it is a Merlin (www.merlin-music.com) they are about $120 depending on the exchange rate that day. Dixon’s I know are excellent I highly recomend any Dixon whistle/flute I have a Dixon high whistle I carry it in my ALL the time.

I have never played on a Copeland (but I am planing to try one) so I can’t tell you how they compare personely I would buy few find the one I like the most but you don’t want to do that so I don’t know what to say.

Posted by .

I’ve just been playing whistle for 1 year but have a Chieftan Low D - despite the critiques I’d heard about them. I have to admit, the tone is smooth, not too airy and quite consistent on the the top hand as well as the bottom. For a whistle in the 100 USD range, I’m very pleased with mine.

Overton. No question about it. Stable, in tune and sound nice and loud. And about the stretch thing, it’s just tecnique. I’ve seen 12 year old gils with hands the size of a 12 year old girl play them.

Posted .

Re: Tuner fish practising scales

"12 year old gils" - something fishy?

It’s not a low D but I find that my Shaw low A works nicely in Key of D, and I have several notes below the D. It’s one of four whistles I take to sessions, I like the tone. I had a Howard low D that was a bear to fill up and I seldom had occasion to use it so I gave it to a friend , who also seldom plays it.

I have a Tony Dixon high D that I LOVE, and have just ordered a low D, my first, from his website. I did a lot of research, here, at Chiff & Fipple, and any other place I could find, and the Dixon comes highly recommended as a first low D for the price ($70 shipped to USA). Can’t wait to get my little fingers on it, just hope i can make it sing!

I’m very fond of my Dixon high D - it’s the one with the tuning slide. It’s really very lovely to play, but it would be remiss of me not to mention that it’s not really loud enough for a proper session, unless there aren’t any other flutes and whistles playing.

Posted by .

Whistle Bare: Sorry, but what do you mean by "I had a Howard low D that ‘was a bear to fill up’ ? New to the group so perhaps haven’t learned allthe cross cultural lingo yet.

I’m looking into a Howard low D and have heard good things about them. Could yiou elaborate on what you didn’t like? I also have hands of a "12 year old girl".

Thanks to all who replied!

That Dixon may be the way to go for me.

I’d guess the "was a bear to fill up" remark was refering to the amount of air it takes to play.

Chef P

Dixons are great that is an excellent way to go.

Posted by .

Mad What I meant was, it takes a lot of wind power to sustain the flow of air through a long phrase. I’m a very large person with hands big enough to palm a basketball. Maybe I didn’t give it a fair enough trial, but it was harder to play than my flute. It’s also very HEAVY, which makes it uncomfortable after a short while. Small hands may also be a liability for ease of playing. You could defend yourself with it though, like a nightstick. Good luck!

I have been playing a Howard for about 3 years and I love it. It takes a little while to get used to ‘the spread’ .I have never had to do any tuning to it other than the very first time I tweaked the fipple to tune to a fiddle at 440.I have listened to sound bites of various Low D’s and still like the howard the best.I have also found other Low D’s Harder to play due to the wall thickness.The Howard Low D is made from brass and is super thin.I also have a Susato Low D which is louder,but being plastic,has much thicker walls which are not quite as forgiving as the Howard.Hope this helps.
Paul

Why do all the people on the telly play overtons?

Posted .

Aye! Michael, because they are damn fine whistles. I should probably just get one and be done with it then!

Besides….. Michael, the fact you referred to "a twelve year old girl" without it occuring to you that someone would jump on the opportunity to give you a hard time about it only means you must have a daughter, and be a man of character, being a parent of a young lady myself, It would never have occured to me either! 🙂

Overton it is!!!