Mobile Phones

Mobile Phones

I was in a pub, listening to Irish music, one of the performers kept looking at their mobile phone between tunes, it seemed as if she was more interested in the phone than the audience.
What do you reckon is it rude? or am I just old fashioned.

Posted .

Re: Mobile Phones

Set list on the phone?

Was it a gig or a session?

Posted by .

People are using mobiles for everything from tuning to finding out what tune is being played. Also, you can text people and not disrupt a session. What irritates me is when people are on their phone instead of playing, or trying to do both. It’s like anything else… use common sense. But mobiles are a fixture now in sessions regardless.

All my tunes are on my phone so use it regularly in sessions for memory jogging etc.

Rude and tacky, IMO, if we’re talking about the context of a performance. Looking at the phone is one thing, and if it was for tuning it would be obvious that that was what was going on. I used to use a smart phone for tuning occasionally during designated breaks~ amazing how nice some tuning apps are~ the audience wouldn’t have known from where I was sitting whether it was a phone or tuner I was consulting. Set list is a possibility, but if that was the case I think it’s still ridiculous. The fact that the audience *could* construe checking a phone during a performance as rude and inconsiderate is reason enough to use an old-fashioned piece of paper, besides the paper being larger and easier to see. Save checking FaceBook, texts, email, or any of the myriad apps on smart phones for before/after gigs, or off stage during breaks.

Re: Mobile Phones ~ Staying Alive?

http://vimeo.com/31310064

Martin Cooper; "We always put an on/off button on the phone. The phone is supposed to be your slave. You are not supposed to the slave of your phone."

Posted by .

It’s a cultural thing. Attitudes will change; the technology is here forever.
People probably thought reading books was rude when they first came out.

People do notice others who look at their phones. I don’t wear a watch when playing so sometimes get my phone out to check the time and get disapproving looks from some. Usually the same people each time.

It was a gig.
Would a player get a book out and read between sets?
Looking at a mobile phone is the same sort of carry on, imo It is completely out of order if it is a paid gig.
I mean you wouldnae expect it at a concert.

Posted .

A gig eh… well that’s weird. Well maybe this could become a discussion about mobiles at sessions?

Another possibility is that they might have been recording. If this is the case, I’d hope they would make it known before doing so, though. Well, in a session, anyway. For a performance, I suppose it’s a different story.

Regardless, I think when people are spending time with others they should leave the phones off, unless it’s being used for something that assists with what they are doing with others ,such as some of the reasons mentioned here, relating to playing the music. That being said, people have played the music without the assistance of smartphones for quite some time now.

How was the music..?

Posted by .

She was probably texting her girlfriends about all the hot talent in the audience :)

"OMG. There is this guy here playing this circular drum with a stick~ so hot~ he is like a musical genius. You gotta come down and see."

No, she wouldn’t have been texting that^….

The very fact that you were niggled enough to report it here indicates that it is a social faux-pas. It is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears when someone is talking to you. The solution is ‘something that bangs’ from a previous thread.
And plenty ammo.

Posted by .

Sometimes it is necessary; for example our babysitters calling with news of a domestic emergency - does happen… That was a session though.

And I know; in the past, we did without that… But our babysitters today seem to expect us to be reachable as far as possible:-(

(Not helped by bad reception requiring an awful lot of attention on the phone to actually get a message through.)

it is considered unprofessional to check your phone on stage at a gig—step off or to the side. in contrast, it is bad etiquette to check your phone constantly at a session. it is also not worth your time as an audience member getting in a huff about it, though, ;-).

Posted by .

I deliberately and ostentatiously get my iPhone out whenever the lads fall to the temptation of playing rubbishy American tunes. :-D

Maybe they were checking that their set was running to time and they were using it as a watch. Was it a quick glance or was she actually typing on it?

Checking the time? People don’t wear watches anymore. Would it be rude to check a pocketwatch on stage?

Funniest thing I’ve seen at a session…
The group begun playing a reel that I nor the guy next to me knew how to play so he takes out his phone and uses tunepal to get the name of the tune. He then takes out his iPad (from his back pocket like… lol) and finds the notes for the tune before sitting it on his lap. Subsequently, both him and I are able to play the tune when it came to the second repeat, modern technology utilized at it’s best… :D

Maybe they were just bored by the lethargic audience…?
("… uh, still 20 minutes to play if we want to get paid…")

I’ve seen singers reading their lyrics from an iPhone, scrolling down as they’re singing.

Not made my mind up about it yet but, "If it works for you…" 8))

David

"I’ve seen singers reading their lyrics from an iPhone, scrolling down as they’re singing.

Not made my mind up about it yet but, "If it works for you…" 8))"

Iarla O Lionaird in the Gloaming used a tablet.

"I was in a pub, listening to Irish music, one of the performers kept looking at their mobile phone between tunes, it seemed as if she was more interested in the phone than the audience…"

Perhaps she found the audience repulsive. Perhaps she didn’t want to catch the eye of anyone in it who might follow her home.

Never forget: the generation that most upbraids the young for their pathetic enslavement to consumer goods is the one that is busiest flogging them the things :-):-):-)!

Yours Faithfully, disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.
What next? someone picking their Snotter on stage?

Posted .

It’s just the way things are these days. I might be out in the car driving one of the older ones somewhere and I turn to chat to them to find they have the iPod out and the earphones stuck in. Rude? Maybe, maybe not. Or they’re texting away etc. and too busy to answer - just a different culture. Catch them when they’re not thus occupied or when they want to chat and they’re grand.

The people on stage don’t have to sit there looking at you with a silly grin on their faces like Sharon Shannon all the time.. that’s the other extreme.

Phones of any sort have always been a problem, people for the last 50 - 60 years have always jumped up, interrupted what they doing and acted in a slave like fashion whenever a phone has rang, vibrated or flashed, for me this is just primitive animal like reaction to an intrusion….. I probably answer about 30% of my phone calls, depending on whether I believe the intrusion should take priority over what I’m doing at that time… most people look at me in shock and horror when I don’t answer a phone, and all I am doing is showing people present the respect and priority that they deserve.

In about 10 years time, the most efficient way to communicate with a person in the same room, will be to instigate the communication electronically, however the most effective way will always remain face to face.

Perhaps her Twitter was Twittering

I take my iPad to sessions. It has a tuner, Tunepal app, a recording app, plus volumes 1 and 2 of Foinn Seisiún saved on it in pdf format. It helps refresh my mind to certain tunes, and I can learn a tune name without constantly having to ask. It’s a benefit, not a detriment, in my opinion.
Now, a paying gig would be a different matter entirely.
Having said that, it would probably be a bit rude to sit there checking Facebook between tunes all night.

The lead singer in the rock cover band I play with uses a tablet for the words. I hate it-to me it is so unprofessional. What’s worse,he used to use it only at gigs as a fall-back,but now he uses it at rehearsals when we’re learning new tunes. The result is that he never really learns the tune (I mean song) and will often phrase the words in a weird unnatural way. Did I say that I hate it? I mean how hard is it to learn the freaking song? To learn the song I listen to it enough that I end up knowing the words better than he does… Oh well. Sorry for the rant. It’s a money gig,anyway.

No, no no! You should be able to drink your Guinness, pick your nose, cut your toenails, stare at the ceiling, pull the fluff out of your bellybutton, look at your phone or whatever. Just as long as the music keeps going chill out and be happy!

Posted by .

To the people who take your iPads to sessions to remind yourself of the tunes, how about you:

a) use your ears until you get the tune

b) come with something way less intrusive and eye catching like a small notebook with the first 4 bars of each tune written in it

How about you do it the way that works for you, and I’ll do it way it works for me.

I play for a lot of set dances here in SF and when I’m on stage I refer to my phone between every set. I have a sheet of paper I scanned into my phone that has all the bar counts and possible medleys of tunes that go with the sets. I used to look at the piece of paper itself, but I would sometimes misplace it and/or it would become stained and dogeared rendering it illegible. I always have my phone and I can see the sheet very clearly now. Regardless… people are always slagging me for allegedly checking my email and updating facebook while on stage.

Once I saw somebody with a music stand!

Posted by .

Re Thomaston, I’m giving my two cents because people in pubs look daft with an iPad!

I’m ok with looking daft to a Luddite.

I think Ipads are great and really cool and all that, but you don’t have to take them everywhere with you, why not save them to use on a long journey/when you’re bored?

I don’t take it everywhere with me, however for the reasons I’ve already stated I do take it to sessions and will continue to do so. Live and let live.

I actually am by personal preference a bit of a Luddite, and I don’t even own a mobile phone, but I honestly can’t see what all the fuss is about or why it bothers anybody.

Posted by .

I’ll take looking a Luddite to the daft any day. ;-)

Long Live Ludd

All joking aside, PB brings up a good point. I too have had my set notes stained to the point of illegibility from drinks, shoe prints, you name it. I think there is a balance to be struck Maybe an iPad, phone or some sort of technology could be used discretely during a performance to be of no bother to any one and a resource for the performer. If a piece of paper can lay on the floor for quick reference, maybe a dimly lit screen can be set in a way as to be unseen by the audience, but seen by the player? Just throwing it out there. I, however, will continue to use the ol’ noodle and if need be, a sheet of paper ;-)

…. to order a pint ?

I have been asked via texts from across the table at large sessions what tune I just played… and vice versa. I’ve also been asked to start particular tunes in those situations. I also rang the bartender and asked her to switch off the TV. All of this was done when I didn’t know the tune being played at the moment… and no one seemed to notice.

Yes and metronome lovers can even download an app on the iphone for sessions. Too loud to hear your click
track. No worries. Use the option to flash the iphone screen bright red on the beat - no need to hear above the banjo.

I’ve never had a mobile ‘phone.
A pointless piece of junk that everyone was succesfully lured into getting through media pressure!
Their arrival saw to the demise of the pub’ pay ‘phone which used to be my main means of communication when away from home. This was a shame because if you really, really had to make a call…
I think they (mobiles/ cells) rather epitomize everybody’s paranoia about possibly missing something although there is nothing no miss! Certainly no more than the pre-mobile era!
The obsessions with media, trendy material one-up-man-ship and faux importance (‘Oh! Excuse me, I must take this call, it’s from my gardener’) all come together in that perfectly unneccesary and, these days alas, ubiqitous oblong of technology.

I suppose you all have read Orwell, 1984…

Wow! That’s well done. And I thought Nova Scotia was boring! :-D

Posted by .