Minidisc vs. MP3

Minidisc vs. MP3

I am 15 years old and am looking to replace my old delapidated CD walkman with a new high-tech mod-con. However, I don’t want to spend over

Re: Minidisc vs. MP3

Oh Andrew,
I remember when I bought my first CD walkman about 16 years ago and was accused of being a yuppie. :>)) In those days, the batteries didn’t last as long but it was (and still is) a great way to listen to music. Mini disc recorders are great for recording tunes at sessions etc though.

I do believe the Ipods are the way to go these days for downloading MP3s, recording etc. However, I’m not quite ready to splash out on this technology yet—it’s still expensive and I’m fairly happy with what I’ve got, although I still play old vinyl, 78’s and reel to reel tape from time to time!!! Shows you just how old I am.

There was a discussion about Ipods fairly recently. Perhaps that might help.

https://thesession.org/discussions/2945/comments#comment58039

John

Bite the bullet and splash out on an MP3 player! I’m currently transferring my CD collection onto my Creative Zen jukebox. Worth every penny. For ITM fans a really useful feature is that you can create your own genres. I classify each track as jigs, reels, hornpipes etc. I use "medley" to classify combinations such as jig followed by reel.

Hi Andrew!

It’s great that you’ve approached a site which is so involved with "played" music! The answers you have received already contain sound advice.

However, can I ask you if, when you hear a tune, can you remember how it goes? If you can, there is another option.

The reason being that through circumstance, and the lack of a regular job, I never had the money to get something like a Walkman, but by getting round to sessions, and playing, managed to get in excess of 2K tunes, because I was sitting with people who took the time to share, which, in the long term meant no problem playing anywhere. And even if I might have lost a tune or two, accessing music this way is only how the music was passed down in the first instance.

Since those early days, when I’ve taught, or run traditional workshops, I’ve never knocked taping or learning from the dots, but have always said that if you can learn from another musician, you’ve not only learned a tune, but also gained a friend!

I wish I had time to write down the tunes I’ve learnt over the years, but like when people asked why I’d never done a recording before, until recently, my answer was always that I was too busy playing anyway!

I do hope you enjoy your playing, and whatever you do, that you will always find joy, comfort and friendship through your playing.

Brianx

You might look into products like the PoGo! Products RipFlash DX 128MB Digital Voice Recorder and MP3/WMA Player; it’s a little more than 150UK (I’ve seen prices around 220US, 250UK) but it can record directly to MP3 and play like any other player out there.

The prices on these kinds of units is falling, too … there might be even better products for less $$$ than the PoGo!

(I don’t own one, I just found it on the internet)

Wait until the new Sony MD recorder that can upload to a computer faster than real time. Apparently it will work only with tracks recorded using mic input. Should be coming out here in the US in April-that’s the rumor anyway. I use my mp3 player (iPod) a lot since there is no real music played on the radio anymore during my drive in to work. I have an older MD recorder that uploads at real time, so its a slight pain trying to transcribe a lesson or a live session you want to keep.

Posted by .

Seems obvious but it depends on what you want it for
If you need to record live in the field the MD is the way to go
If it is just to listen - MP3 is best
Sadly, you really need both so you can record on MD, transfer to PC, convert to MP3 and then download to MP3 player
Realtime MD upload has been a long time coming, but would make the above a breeze

Posted by .