Holy Smokes! I know an All-Ireland Champion!

Holy Smokes! I know an All-Ireland Champion!

THIS JUST IN…NICE GUYS DON’T NECESSARILY ALWAYS FINISH LAST! Friend and fellow New Englander Torrin Ryan of Attleboro, Massachusetts just took 1st place in the Uilleann Pipes Slow airs competition at Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann 2013 in Derry. He also took 3rd in the Uilleann Pipes competition (dance tunes). Hearty congratulations from all your friends in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and beyond, Torrin! It couldn’t have happened to a finer musician, but more importantly, a more decent human being. Huzzah!

Re: Holy Smokes! I know an All-Ireland Champion!

get. over i know five and my teachers all won the all ireland plus my grandad is an all ireland champion

All-Ireland Champions are overrated

Some of the best musicians out there have competed and lost.Id rather not win to be honest .its like a curse

But!

I do happen to know one of the fiddlers from the winning ceili band

Congratulations to your friend Torrin. Sounds like a good guy, with good friends.

Torrin is a good guy. When I spoke to him 10 days before the competition (he was in four), he hadn’t decided what he was going to play, and didn’t seem the least bit concerned about it. He said that the half hour or so that he’d be playing in competition was just a tiny part of his two week trip to Ireland and he wasn’t going to let it become a distraction. My impression is that, in contrast, many competitors plan their pieces months and months in advance, work hard with their teachers to come up with what they think will impress the judges, and put lots of pressure on themselves in advance of their performance. It’s really nice to see a case where that approach doesn’t beat out a more easygoing attitude.

Thanks for the boasting marktyler, just what this discussion needed.

Congratulations to your friend jay!

Yeah, Mark Tyler, very impressive, but what have YOU done lately? ;o)

Holy Smokes! THIS JUST IN…Huzzah!

Congratulations to your friend, what an achievement!

Posted by .

I always give credit where credit is due. Certainly congratulations are in order.

But it is a moment in time, so everyone get on with it.

Hey. WE were sitting next to the World Champion Spoons Player at the Traditional Night Out at Whitby Folk Festival last week.
WORLD Champion I said.
My wife got his autograph on a beer mat.