Using Our Real Names

Using Our Real Names

By request of Himself the J Man I am no longer SWFL Fiddler.

He has kindly asked us to use our real names here. I am certainly all for it.

I would have addressed this sooner however I am such a slacker that I just figured out the new ye olde mustard board has email now. D’oh.

I encourage you to still call me ‘Swiffle’, just don’t call me late for dinner.

Re: Using Our Real Names

meh, my real name is in my profile if someone really wants to know it, but everywhere else on the the internet I’m Alien_Sunset, so that’s what I always put as a screen name.
(seriously, you’ll find out more about me by googling my screen name than if you google my real name, there are bunches of other people with the same real name as mine, but only one alien_sunset.)

(Are we allowed to comment…?) I use my real name on every board I’m on and always have done, with one exception here for a couple of weeks when I said something that, on reflection, I didn’t want to risk someone I knew reading (it was a slightly reckless and uncomplimentary comment about 12-string guitarists…)! I can see reasons why, occasionally, someone would like to be not all over Google under their real name. The Gaughan forum ain’t a bad model, nicknames being allowed for posting but anonymity not permitted. Mind you, I haven’t checked how that works on Google.

Welcome into the light, Ian.

I’ve hybridized my real name with my former on-screen name. Provides a little continuity, and avoids a situation where someone might google my real name and get a bunch of hits where I’m nattering on about hornpipes. Just wouldn’t do, professionally.

Jeremy’s intent is that it will subtly encourage more civil on-screen behavior. I think this is a worthy goal, and while using a real name isn’t a silver bullet, it should help incrementally. It’s easier to dis someone who goes by ‘clever name” (no offense, clever name—I actually do admire it, cuz it’s… clever) than a Joe or Ian.

An alternate solution would be to make us choose names like “Orphan Kitten” or “Lonely Bunny.” I say, what kind of a $#@!face could be rude to “Orphan Kitten”?

Look if I am in any way offensive in what I say, then I expect to be chastised or removed from the site. I have no desire to be in any way offensive and have used my real name, albeit not my first name. If this is really such a problem than I will come off the site.

I choose to use an obscure name by which I’m not instantly recognised because I want to see what other people’s reactions and responses are to what I say - not to who I am. For instance, unless you are Welsh you will not know my gender and the difference in reaction has been quite interesting when people have guessed wrongly in the past. As I’ve just said, if this is not acceptable please could Jeremy let me know.

Yebbut isn’t this about having straightforward discussions with, hopefully, straightforward people? You don’t go down the pub for a natter with a bag over your head so that people won’t guess your gender!

This isn’t the pub though is it?

…and you’d need to place the bag elsewhere than just over the head, to hide one’s gender.

Too true Orphan Kitten have a bowl of cream! Why is it a problem to actually want to put forward a reasonable and polite question or point of view and remain relatively anonymous. If boundaries are approached and/or crossed then the rules should dictate that the poster is chucked off.

@Steve Shaw as far as being straightforward is concerned, surely that is enshrined in what the poster says or not. If everyone has to see their birth certificate before they agree or disagree with their point of view, I don’t think the problem lies with the poster.

eiluned, you don’t *have to* use your real name. You’re free to use whichever username you want.

But I’d *prefer* it if you used your real name.

That’s all there is to it.