Material of Generation’s Head

Material of Generation’s Head

I’m tweaking my two new C-Generation which play near to C# ;-((

The Joanie Madden shuttle method worked well to remove the plastic heah, but one of the whistles has some slight cracks near the low end from other methods I tried before.
I would like to repair those cracks and I’m wondering now what kind of plastic is used for these heads - I could glue it or weld it with a Leister heater fan if somebody can state the material.

Thanks for any information

Re: Material of Generation’s Head

I had similar cracks in my Generation whistle. Fixed them with super glue.

I’m not sure exactly what a Leister heater fan is, but I think that if you apply any heat hot enough to weld the plastic, you are in danger of softening the whole head and distorting it. The same applies if you dip it in very hot water to soften the glue.

Superglue ought to work, so long as the crack is clean and dry; once the crack has been open for a while, it accumulates saliva residues and dust, and is very difficult to clean out.

Cracking is a perennial problem with Generation/Feadog/Waltons-type whistle heads - the plastic used is rather brittle and they are put under considerable stress when moved, owing to the tight fit to the barrel. I have recently bought a Dixon whistle, with Alloy barrel and plastic head. The head-to-barrel fit is somewhat looser, with a view to making it tunable; also, the head is more robustly built and is made from a slightly rubberised plastic, making it (I hope) more resistant to cracking.

I will try with a broken head to weld the plastic. A Leister fan is a professional tool to weld plastics, it looks like a hair dryer, but the temeprature is adjustable (+/_ a few degree) and there are a lot of add-on blast pipes to control the air flow.

I have a couple that I glued with the ordinary ‘Airfix’, or ‘Revell’ plastic cement used for making models. It seems to have worked OK. A bit of red insulation tape wrapped round the cylindrical bit also keeps it secure and is barely noticeable.

Posted by .

*MY* Generation!