Stagi Concertinas?

Stagi Concertinas?

What’s everyone’s opinion on the Stagi concertina? I have one and to b.. honest I can’t stand the thing, can’t wait to get a new one

Re: Stagi Concertinas?

You are a very discerning person and shoild follow your instincts…

Posted by .

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought they were budget instruments produced using accordion reeds.
Which is why they neither feel nor sound right.

Buttonbox.com reworks them, but they are still not a quality product. Your best bet is to move to a Morse ceili, or concertina connection clover, either of which start at $2200. If you can trade the stagi might get you $800 depending on the quality.

If you can’t move up than I say sure get it reworked, but you’re probably going to plateau on the stagi.

It would help to know what stage you are at in terms of your skill level.

Cag, I’m thirteen and can’t just go out and buy one can I?

Mollie,

Sorry to hear you are stuck in the classic concertina dilemma, knowing your cheap concertina is not up to your needs and not being able to replace it. You can learn a lot on a Stagi, just don’t try to play faster and louder than it wants to and one day when you can get something better you will find your speed will lift up immediately. Even though they are not much by concertina standards a lot of good music has been played on them.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by .

to answer the thread title’s question—No.

I agree that the Stagi is not a great instrument, but check out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYf5mOC4-1Q

It can be played. And, this is one of those sort of fake sailor’s instruments which is even cheaper than some of the other Stagis.

I had one (EC) but could never get it to play this way…. :(

Nice comment Chris, all to easy to diss the basic instruments but there’s music to be made on them and far better to play what you’ve got.

That clip is remarkable cboody. Hard not to be a wee bit suspicious at first but the tone is right with that fluty sound those boxes make and his other videos are impressive. That clip made me look and realise that Bucks can have no c’s at all and so be playable on a C/G concertina.

"That clip made me look and realise that Bucks can have no c’s at all and so be playable on a C/G concertina."

He does play a few C#s actually, in the 4th part. Is he playing a G/D?

Hmm, yes, thanks CMO. I checked and what I play for Bucks includes some C#s. I’d be surprised if it’s a G/D. Perhaps a custom layout. When I was playing a 20 button Lachenal C/G I put a reed for the crucial mid-range C# at the very the top end of the G row. Worked quite well, played with my little finger and replaced a duplicated and very rarely used bat-squeak reed.

It looks like he’s playing the D chord at the end on the press, which wouldn’t be possible on a two row C/G.

Definitely G/D. If you look at the other videos on his YouTube channel, there’s one where he says it in the comments.

Glad you’ve figured out G/D, but remember the main point is it is a Stagi.

Well, Molly, learn to play as well as you can on what you have.
At some point you will move up to a better instrument.
Often enough, when you are ready, the right instrument will find you.
Don’t know why, but it happens that way.

Posted by .

cboody I know somebody with those fake concertinas and they are so hard to play.

I tried to start learning on a Stagi. Dreadful! Didn’t completely object to the sound, or action. The worst aspect was the ergonomics. This made it unplayable for me. Why didn’t they simply copy the the button locations /spacing/strap bar location from classic concertinas. Within minutes my hands got cramp. The straps were stiff and uncomfortable against the knuckles. The buttons were too close to the straps; generally not well placed, and I either ended up trying to play with tips of fingers, or moving hands back so straps over back of fingers = very restricting and can’t reach air button properly. Its just possible it may better suite a child’s hand - maybe the intended market?
I tried modifying strap location, and considered moving air button -but instrument wasn’t worth the effort. Complete waste of money. Would have been better putting money towards the better secondhand vintage instrument I eventually bought.

This is the Stagi I had
http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/products/GR4703/Stagi-W15E-30-Key-Concertina/
Terrible to think they are still being sold, and for £439.00 !

I wonder if this ‘new’ chinese made /italian reeded model will prove to be much better. Certainly looks more the part, and at £449.00 virtually same price.
http://www.hobgoblin.com/local/products/GR4716/30Key-Anglo-CG-Italian-Reed/

If you are considering learning on a ‘cheap’ concertina, I would suggest at least making sure the instrument sits comfortably in your hands, the buttons fall naturally under your fingers, the air button is easily reachable, and the action is not too hard /stiff.
Definitely ‘try before you buy’. Don’t worry that you can’t play any tunes /don’t know what notes you are playing! Just make sure you can reasonably comfortably push it in and out, while pressing the full range of buttons including air button. This alone would have stopped me buying the Stagi (foolishly bought in ignorance and mail order!)

Col Arco,
I have exactly the same one, I hate it!

Why all the negatives on Stagi concertinas? The M/5 was my first instrument that I learned on. After years of practice I finally could afford a Rochelle but I wouldn’t have, if I hadn’t began on my Stagi. Now I want a Jeffries but can’t afford it yet. Stagi is WELL worth the money in my opinion. I had a 125cc motorbike and eventually rose to a 600cc for the same reasons. If you want more power and speed, be prepared to pay for it. The 125cc and the Stagi M/5 will still get you there! Good luck….and grab one if you can for around £250 second-hand. Perfect for learning on.