The Encyclopaedia of Music in Ireland

Re: The Encyclopaedia of Music in Ireland

Frankly, I’m amazed that this book has finally been published. I was asked to contribute several sections some six years ago, but refused because no payment was on offer for my work.

As far as I recall, the traditional music sections were being coordinated by Adrian Scahill (brother of Enda) - http://music.nuim.ie/staff/dradrianscahill.

Posted by .

At €100+ cost, there won’t be too many reaching for their credit cards! Mind you, given size and that it’s in two volumes, probably a very fair price and subsidised at that. I must see if the local library gets a copy and have a look through. Could be interesting but depends on the slant of the editors I guess, which maybe more towards ‘art music’ etc.

Posted .

It’s $107 (€78.81) pre-order price with free shipping in Amazon. I don’t know whether free shipping applies outside the US. Amazon UK has it for €85, and some if their affiliate discounters for around €65. I think the intended market is university libraries, however. For a massive book of this sort, it seems almost reasonable, especially compared to the appalling prices of similar sized textbooks.

Looks interesting. I’ll have to nudge my neighborhood university library to get a copy or two.

That’s the book publishing & selling industry for you. If you follow the first link I gave, you’ll see the actual publishers have it at a discounted price of €112.50 + €25 delivery! Still, nowhere near production cost I’d suspect.

Posted .