Playing Andy de Jarlis

Playing Andy de Jarlis

I am a fairly new fiddler and downloaded Andy de Jarlis which is in E major, and want to ask if most of you play the recurring B note by stretching for it on the D string, instead of on the A string.

Thanks
John

Re: Playing Andy de Jarlis

While I can’t speak for most of us, I’d be surprised if _anybody_ did. Is it fear of crossing a string for one note that is causing you to opt for left-hand contortion instead?

I prefer to hold down both A an D strings at the same time with my index finger to play the E an B notes and play G# with my third finger.

Thanks for both for the comments.

I tried stretching for the B because I was having difficulty crossing the strings with any consistency and/or speed. I took a lesson recently and the teacher said whenever possible stay on the same string, and I have long fingers so the stretch seemed like a possibility.

I’ll try stoneboy2’s suggestions about holding both strings down with one finger and see how that feels.

Sounds like your lesson was from a classical teacher! Not always applicable to trad - for one thing we stay in the first position (that’s 97% of us, 98% of the time).

For another, while using the fourth finger to save crossing a string is a handy thing to have in your bag of tricks, you won’t use it to stay on a string "whenever possible". We tend to like the sound of an open string.

At any rate stretching to reach B in that tune is, well, stretching things. Holding down E and B at the same time, as mentioned by stoneboy2, is standard practice - so standard it didn’t occur to me to mention it in my first post, but I should have done.
Cheers and good luck.

Thanks Jeeve, I too like the sound of open strings, and am interested in the traditional approach, so later today I’ll try holding them both down together.

John

To be fair, holding the first finger down on D and A strings and crossing strings for the B would be standard in both trad playing and classical. I think you’ve just misunderstood your teacher’s instructions.

Posted by .

And talking about open strings, most people would play the A in Bar 4 and the top Es in Bar 8 as open strings, maybe doubling the Es with a 4th finger, slid up to the note. Great, typical fiddle effect. :-)

Posted by .

Thanks Ben I’ll try that
John

I had a look at the tune here :

https://thesession.org/tunes/838

Just to more or less echo what every one else has said, possibly reinforced by the fact that you need to play a C right after the B (eg in bar 2) … which would get really messy if you tried to play an ascending E-G-B-C on the one string.

A little diversion - an exception would be something like Paganini Caprice # 5. An extremely fast one, where the pattern is similar (A-C-E-C, starting on the bottom string), but at high speed, it’s actually easier to ‘dance’ up and down a single string, rather than cross a string, then cross back. Advanced technique, but still based on very simple and effective mechanics.

Q: What has Paganini Caprice # 5 got to do with the OP ?

A: Feck-all.

…Jeez.

[*What has Paganini Caprice # 5 got to do with the OP ?*]

I’ve explained why one might want to play a pattern on one string, where the most common way to play it would be across two strings. That’s the relevance to the OP.

Back to the tune for a moment. I like Altan’s version and can hear all the ornamentation which is great, but trying to figure it all out is a bit of a challenge. Can anyone point me to a site where the sheet music would have more ornamentation for traditional tunes like this.

Thanks
John

Far better to use your ears and "fiddle about" until the sound you make resembles the sound they make. Or even better, get a fiddle player to show you. Even if you could find a site with the appropriate sheet music, correctly interpreting ornamentation written on sheet music is quite tricky if you don’t have an understanding of it to begin with.