Open sessions in Dublin this weekend?

Open sessions in Dublin this weekend?

Hi,

I’ll go to Dublin this weekend for 3 nights and hope to play some music, warming up for the Ennis trad festival!
What sessions would you recommend to go to on Saturday, Sunday and Monday?

Also, if there are any closed sessions/gigs that you’d recommend to go to just to listen to the music, that would of course be of interest too!

Thanks!
/Mattias

Re: Open sessions in Dublin this weekend?

A few months ago i went to a session in O’Donoghues (the home of The Dubliners) check out http://www.odonoghues.ie/music.htm
There was a session going and i waited with my instrument until i was asked to join, the session was a high standard musically but not so fast to make it impossible to keep up if you know the tune i’d recommend a visit.

Thanks!

How welcoming to visiting musicians are the regular players at O’Donoghue’s, Hughe’s and Cobblestone?
At what hours should I be there? Do they have both afternoon and evening sessions?

I’ve been to The Cobblestone a few times. There is a different set of musicians there each night of the week, all of a very high calibre. How welcoming they are will depend on who they are, but I have always gone as a listener. There was one occasion (I forget which night of the week, and it was at least 5 years ago, anyway) when Catherine McEvoy and family were playing. I was staying at the Youth Hostel and, not wanting to leave my instrument behind unattended, took it with me to the pub and hid it under the table. The hostel had, at that time, an 11 or 12 o’clock curfew, so I had to leave before the end of the session. Catherine McEvoy spotted me heading for the door carrying my mandolin and I heard her say, "Would you look at that! He’s an instrument with him and he never even took it out of its case!", then, turning towards me, "You’re very bold!".