Exercises for learning the keys on a keyed Irish flute?

Exercises for learning the keys on a keyed Irish flute?

I was wondering if any one had developed any exercises for learning the keys on a keyed Irish flute? I seem to encounter various common Middle Eastern themes that I’m vaguely familiar with, but, amongst other things, still seem to either lose hole coverage somewhere on the high hand (G - A - B) or loose embouchure so I definitely need the practice.

Any idea as to the names of those themes most likely to be encountered while tooling around and any examples from ITM for approaching this process would be helpful.

Thanks.

Re: Exercises for learning the keys on a keyed Irish flute?

I would suggest taking easy tunes you know well in Emin and playing them in Dmin or Gmin. That covers the Fnat keys (both of them, often because of arpegiating on the Dmin triad), and the Bb key and possibly the Eb key if it is true minor, not dorian in Gmin.

Then play Gmaj tunes in Amaj for the G# key.

I’m not sure where middle eastern tunes fit into these suggestions, but the idea is to not just play tunes that have a few accidentals (even if that’s the end goal), but to play tunes in whole keys that you are unused to. I can play pretty reliably in Dmin and Ddor now and it really helps find those accidentals when I need them.

Posted by .

Re: Exercises for learning the keys on a keyed Irish flute?

Thanks for the ideas and the link - I thought I had scanned through that somewhere!