Jethro Burns Mandolin Lesson Tapes

Jethro Burns Mandolin Lesson Tapes

I had a quick search and was a little surprised to see that this little treasure trove hasn’t been covered on The Session.

I discovered this recently while looking for swing jazz mando lessons. It’s not strictly Irish/Scot trad (closer to country/bluegrass/jazz) but there’s some crossover and i’m sure we’re open minded enough to appreciate how this music holds a lot of affinity with trad music.

A few things that these tapes helped me with was getting out of first position and exploring the untarnished areas of my fretboard. It also gave me a lot of nice new chords, scales and runs to add to my book of tricks.

From the page:
"The celebrated comedian and mandolin virtuoso Kenneth "Jethro" Burns passed away in 1989, but mandolinists can still learn from him through his recordings and instructional materials. Jim Nikora and Mike O’Connell are two players who took private lessons from Jethro, and it’s lucky for us they brought their tape recorders along with them. They’ve graciously agreed to share these amazing recordings with us, and I am happy to provide them here as free MP3 downloads."

http://www.robcoleman.com/jethro/index.html

There are hours of great lessons, hope you get something from them. I did. Have fun! Jethro strikes me as a man and musician with a lot of humour in his playing.

Also, if this isn’t enough or your prefer some tab/notation along with your audio, then I also really recommend The Mel Bay book of Complete Jethro Burns Mandolin. It’s more Bluegrassy than the tapes and more of a polished production.

http://www.melbay.com/Products/94875BCD/complete-jethro-burns-mandolin.aspx

Re: Jethro Burns Mandolin Lesson Tapes

Alistair Chisholm-thanks for that links. Jethro Burns was a mandolin master,often underrated because of the comedy. I’m sure I will find lots of useful stuff here.

Re: Jethro Burns Mandolin Lesson Tapes

Thank you Alistair, its amazing that people are so generous with these resources. Well done for finding them.