She’s playing pipes on the concertina!

Re: She’s playing pipes on the concertina!

You don’t listen to much concertina music do you? j/k this sounds like pretty typical use of chords for concertina. Of course they are both reeds so they have a similar voice. Concertina players can only chord when particular opportunities arise in the tune. A bass tone or chord tone must be available in the same bellows direction as whatever notes are required for the melody. I don’t think pipers suffer this limitation, but they may only have a few chords or bass tones to choose from? This would mean that both would use chords somewhat sparingly, but still possibly a bit more often than string instrument players would.

Noel Hill used this style a lot. I’ve heard that he wanted the pipes but couldn’t afford them and got a concertina instead. I’ve heard the same about Tony MacMahon though and have no idea if there’s any truth in either.

Here’s a video where he uses the regulator like effect throughout the set. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWosPa3SuNM

Actually, I have been told that dropping bass notes and chords here and there amongst your accordion playing, as opposed to the continual left hand accompaniment that you sometimes hear, is known as piping style of using basses, since it emulates the use of regulators. So this is far from a rare practice in the world of free reeds.

Beautiful playing, piping or not. Actually, I can hear echoes of piping in her playing - not entirely surprising, given that her sister is a fine piper - and more than a hint of Noel Hill as well.

That’s why I chose to learn concertina from Noel.

And Noel has recently developed a concertina that includes a low D drone (D below middle C) in both directions.