Pronunciation

Pronunciation

Does anyone know the correct pronunciation of the village “Fenore” in County Clare? Is it just as written - FEN OR? or FUN OR?

Re: Pronunciation

It’s actually spelled fanore and is pronounced as it reads.

Posted by .

fan-OR (stress on second syllable)
The Irish derivation is ‘Fán Óir’ - ‘Golden Slope’. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanore

No doubt, for many that speak English as there first language, the vowel in the first syllable is reduced to a schwa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa - the ‘neutral’ vowel found in the first syllable of ‘potato’ or the second syllable of ‘butter’.

A question for Ceadur, because you seem quite knowledgeable:

Oir has a final slender r. How is this pronounced in Irish?

I took a course in Scottish Gaelic many moons ago and slender r was difficult for English speakers, and had the additional oddity of sometimes being pronounced like English th, in final position in one-syllable words, as in muir “mooth”.

Otherwise slender r was a sort of buzzing sound made with the tongue touching the back of the upper teeth, quite difficult to do for us.

I’m sorry if I seem quite knowledgeable - I really don’t know very much, especially about the finer points of Irish pronunciation. I only know how to pronounce ‘Fanore’ (the Anglophone way) because I’ve heard people say it. As my last post indicates, everything else I know, I learned from the omniscient W.

I always enjoy reading about pronounciations.

Posted by .

‘English as there first language’ 🙂

Posted by .

“‘English as there first language’ 🙂”

I blame the turtles.

How would the vowel in the first syllable in Fanore be pronounced by a gaelic speaker? Is it “fon ore”?

Posted .

‘English as there first language’

what language is this? I can’t read it.

Sorry - I meant “English as there forth language”.

Slender ‘r’ in Irish Gaelic is exactly like the slender ‘r’ in Scots Gaelic only, as far as I know, it is never pronounced as a ‘th’ (either voiced or voiceless). Speakers of most Slavic languages would have no problem with this sound; it’s the ‘soft’ or ‘palatalized’ Russian (insert any East Slavic language here) ‘r’.
Fán, depending on where in Ireland your from will come out either like American English “fawn’” or “fan”.

Posted by .

“Slender ‘r’ in Irish Gaelic is…. the ‘soft’ or ‘palatalized’ Russian (insert any East Slavic language here) ‘r’.”

So, that’s a little bit like ‘r’ followed by a ‘y’, then, but pronounced as a single sound?