Irish Trad Collection #

Irish Trad Collection #

Well someone gave me those collections recently (it’s called Irish Trad Collection #1 #2 and so on…) and it is worth a listen ! At least 14 hours of mighty sessions and tunes are generally played only twice at an astonishing speed. I am not sure if it’s a commercial recording and if I can share it but I am doing it anyway as it’s really a gem. If someone complain I will remove the link. So I was wondering if someone knew about those collections. I didn’t find them in the recordings database of thesession and I guess it’s a kind of private recording. I think i can recognize the playing of matt moloy, im not sure and someone were talking about willie clancy sessions during the recording, could be some clues… So I am uploading right now those recordings on my google drive here is the link :

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B66_RhK3jA3rYzk1OXZ0d1dxRDg&usp=sharing

for the moment I just finished uploading #1 #4 and #5 the rest is coming up.

So please let me know if you know something about those collections. About the players, the tunes, location etc… Naming the tunes would be really helpful. Hope you’ll like it. Hope I am not doing something wrong sharing these mp3 !

Posted by .

Re: Irish Trad Collection #

I’m having a bit of trouble downloading— not seeing a "download" button. Any clue how I can find one?

use firefox and install the ‘download them all’ plugin

You can add it to your drive, and then download it from there!

Yes Ralex naming of the tunes/sets would be very useful. Thanks for posting. Always a little nervous of virus attacks and legality whenever I download - but I took a leap of faith.

Wow amazing Collection thanks. I just listened to a couple tracks for now, just random picks from #6, great stuff.

I think the first tune on #6.1 is The Wise Maid, and the first tune on #6.3 is The College Groves.

At work so can’t listen to much more right now, but I can’t wait to listen to them all.

Incidentally #9 tends to indicate that they are a recording of a live stream/radio show perhaps. There seems to be a presenter and some details of the musicians in that particular collection.

You r welcome! I understand ppl are scared about virus etc.. but it has been a while since i registered on thesession so i think u can trust me 🙂.

About naming the sets i could give privileges to u drbodhran or mikiemax but i would just need ur email. Send me a private message and i will activate editing names privileges.

By the way i have tons of recording like that. So if anyone interested i have more. I find them very useful for learning tunes as the musicians tend to play only standards and tunes which are usually not often played on commercial recordings. There is no recent compositions on those tapes only but pure drop.

Posted by .

This looks great but I can’t download them. If I try, I get either a text file containing code, or a url. If I try to play one, I get a message saying my browser (chrome) won’t play the files; then it promptly proceeds to play it. Also it seems to think the files are in German, and helpfully offers to translate them. Any help would be appreciated, as what little I have heard sounds great. I could play each file individually and record it internally; but that would take hours. Thanks anyway, Ralex. I’ll find some workaround.

Posted by .

I thought about making a youtube playlist with those but maybe its a bad idea as i think ppl prefer to download the mp3 right away. If more ppl have trouble downloading the files i will switch to dropbox or another solution..

Posted by .

Looks great but I cannot get it to play or download

Can’t download, either. I don’t plan on signing up for Google + either, so that may effect accessibility.

Ok ok i will find another way

Posted by .

I looked first on my mobile, and the folder was empty. I thought maybe the mp3 censors had caught it. But I switched to my desktop, and everything was there. I was able to download it. (Using Chrome and Drive, fwiw.)

All of Collection #7 is a fabulous recording of an Altan session, dunno the date but it sounds as though Frankie Kennedy is playing

And would I be right in saying that the fiddle player in Collection #5 is Siobhan Peoples? (possibly Murty Ryan on box?)

Posted .

So now ppl can edit files name in the folders. So if someone is motivated enough to put names it would be great 🙂

Posted by .

I can’t figure out how to download:( Names on the tunes and files would be great 🙂 It helps me in finding tunes I want to learn, but, the recordings sound great (from what has been said on the thread), can’t wait to listen to them🙂 thanks.

—sorry, double-post

These are great. Thanks.

These look great however I don’t seem to be able to grab files in Chrome or Firefox by any of the usual ways.. :(

i am currently uploading everything on dropbox so I hope it will work for everyone. Just be patient

Posted by .

Oh, sweet🙂 that’s awesome

Ah, downloaded them🙂

Got it now ,great stuff. Thanks "Ralex" for the bother you went to.

Do the players on # 1 resemble this list?
1)James Cullinane (f) Carol Talty (p) PJ Crotty (fl)
2) PJ Crotty (f) Carol Talty (p)
3) James Kelly (f)
4) Joe Burke (Acc.) Frankie Gavin (f) +?
5) Claire Keville (cnta)
6) Dermy Diamond (f) Tara Bingham (fl)
7) Teresa Ni Cheannarhain - + Niall Kiernan, Terry Crehan
8) Niall Kiernan, Terry Crehan Frankie Gavin
9) Flute player from Danu (name?)
10) Sean Talty (pipes) Frankie Gavin
11) Paul Bradley Brendan McGlinchey (f)
12) Junior + Kevin Crehan (f)
13) Paddy Canny (f) Frankie Gavin
14) Tony McMahon(Acc) Noel Hill (cnta)
15) same
16) Sharon Shannon (Acc) Brendan Begley (Acc)
17) Mary Shannon (bjo) Eoin O’Neill (bzki)Sharon Shannon
18) Mary Custy (f) Stephen O’Flaherty (g)
19) Padraig Rynne (cnta)
20) Sharon + Mary Shannon
21) MS (mnd), SS, EO’N, MC, SF, PR + Kevin Griffin (bjo)
22) s/a
23) s/a
24) Charlie McGettigan, Patsy Hanly (f) Tommy Guignan Seamus Thompson
(f) Paul Wynne, Brendan Farrelly, Brendan Emmett
25) Patsy Hanly
26) Seamus Thompson

Posted by .

This may be an inaccurate listing of players and venues for #4
Music at Matt Molloy’s Wesport, Co. Mayo
M. Molloy, Jimmy Moray, Noel O’Grady, Terry Crehan, Maria Lynn-McHugh, Padraig Morrell, Peter Gallagher, Pat Egan, Becky Kehoe, Jimmy Murphy, Peter Horan

The Welcome Inn, Forkhill, C. Galway
Martin McAllister, Liza/Patrick Conway, Paul O’Flynn, Brenda Smyth, Garry O’Briain, Orla Fee, Thomas Smyth, Claire/Elaine Byrne Kevin Glackin, James Byrne, Packie Manus Byrne, Frank McCloskey, Sean Lee, Brian Mullin, Tommy Finn,
Vincent Campbell, Michael O’Hanlon, Paula McNells Manus McGuire, Paddy Glackin Emer Maycock (f) w/ Donall Siggons (mandocello)
Sean Carroll (acc), Gavin Collins (f) Joe & Anne Burke (acc/gtr), Conor Tully (f), John Cunningham (f)

Posted by .

and perhaps #5
McGann’s Pub, Doolin, Co. Clare, 1984 (?)
Dermot Lernihan (acc) Seamus McMahon (f) Cyril O’Donoghue (bzki)
Fisherstreet
Niall Sheedy (gtr) Aidan O’Conner (fl) Ted McCormick (f)

Posted by .

These are great !! Thanks for uploading them, I was able to get them from the Google site, I had a much listening to catch up on before, now I am just overwhelmed ! LOL

Tommy & Siobhan Peoples (fds) w/ Garry O’Briain (bzki) 7/15/88
Failte Bar, Limerick (gig)

Posted by .

Session; 1984, Gortahork, C. Donegal
Dermot Byrne, Mairead Ni Mhaoinaigh, Frankie Kennedy, Ciaran Curran
misc. others.

Posted by .

What a beautiful Christmas present! Many thanks for sharing this and making sure we could all download the files. I hope Santa is as good to you as you’ve been to us!

Cheers!

Posted by .

Thanks Ralex!

Thanks🙂 just started listening to some of the tracks, I really like them🙂

Thanks Ralex

Oh the Dropbox share is SO much better. Just one click -> "Copy to my Dropbox" and it was done. Many thanks!

One question though, what happened to folders 2, 3, 10, & 12?

Re: Irish Trad Collection #9

A program called "Ceili House" from 6/26/99 hosted by Kieran Hanrahan
of Stockton’s Wing fame. Vincent Campbell, James Byrne and others in
Donegal playing hardcore Donegal fiddle music. Also "Airnean " hosted
by Peter Browne from 5/25/90 interviewing Dermot McLoughlin on the
history and playing of Donegal music. Excerpts from another Ceili
House of 11/11/95 with "The Sanctuary Band" from Cruise’s Pub in
Ennis, Co. Clare, great session music and a filler cut with Anton
McGowan playing "The Millenium Reel".

Posted by .

Re: Irish Trad Collection #11

A 1984 radio broadcast of Kinvarra playing at the Wheatland Music
Festival w/ J. Daly, Dolores Keane, John Faulkner and James Kelly.

Posted by .

Re: Irish Trad Collection #14

Session in Queally’s Pub, Miltown Malbay w/ J. Daly, Padraig MacMathuna (bjo) and others not named. 1985. Part 1 of 2.

Posted by .

Re: Irish Trad Collection #13

Tommy Peoples with unknown flute/whistle/guitar. circa 1981

Posted by .

um… are the collections the things that you mentioned above? a bit confused:D

The Blind Bard Not sure who your question is aimed at but my posts provide some sketchy background information to the collections which Ralex has put up on his Dropbox site

Posted by .

That’s got it, thanks Ralex. Merry Christmas.

Posted by .

Thanks Ralex-great stuff

Many thanks Ralex! Go raibh maith agat

Not sure how to edit track titles (or even if that’s what you want), but here are some from Folder #1:
Track 3 first jig is The Luck Penny
Track 4 second reel is Ballinasloe Fair
Track 5 the jigs are Paddy Fahy’s and My Brother Tom
Track 8 the reels are Maids of Mount Cisco and The Chicago
Track 9 the first slip jig is The Butterfly
Track 10 the jig is The Gander In The Pratie Hole
Track 11 the reels are Martin Wynne’s #1 and 2
Track 12 the first reel is Farewell to Miltown Malbay
Track 13 the second reel is The Glen of Aherlow
Track 14 the jigs are (I think) two parts of Frieze Britches, Na Ceannabhain Bhana, and The Hag With The Money
Track 15 the reels are Sporting Nell and The Morning Dew
That’s as far as I’ve gotten. TunePal isn’t doing well with this, and quite a few of the tracks are played on E flat instruments, which means switching the fundamental back and forth in the settings.

Track 16 the slides are Denis Murphy’s and The Brosna
Track 18 the jigs are Terry Bingham’s and Stan Chapman’s (identified as Alasdair Fraser’s by the host)
Track 19 the second reel is The Sister’s and the third is The Black-haired Lass
Track 20 the first reel is Miss Monaghan’s
Track 21 the first reel is The Coast of Austria
Track 22 the jigs are Seamus Cooley’s and The Mooncoin

A bunch of these tracks are from an episode of Geantrai featuring Sharon Shannon, Mary Shannon, Mary Custy, Kevin Griffin, Padraig Rynne, Eoin O’Neill, and Stephen Flaherty.

The Geantrai program is from 1996, hosted by Brendan Begley. The two tracks on which a 16 year old Padraig Rynne plays can be viewed on Rynne’s youtube channel.

Thanks Ralex. Love it.

@deeor

"Session in Queally’s Pub, Miltown Malbay w/ J. Daly, Padraig MacMathuna (bjo) and others not named. 1985. Part 1 of 2."

The banjo player was Mick O’Connor. Fiddles were Mairead ni Mhaonaigh and Paul O Shaughnessy, flute Frankie Kennedy, bouzouki Eoin O’Neill. I know because I was there and the clips match recordings of the session that I have. 🙂

Hmm,

If the first part of #4 is really ‘Music at Matt Molloy’s’, then you should delete it from your downloads, Ralex, as it’s still commercially available, albeit only as Mp3 files.

Deeor, The Welcome Inn is in County Armagh, not Galway.

I’m not going to download any of these files until someone can verify that they’re all in the public domain.

Posted by .