A christmas gift

A christmas gift

Hi again,

As my first attempt to share my session recordings was a bit sketchy and because it’s almost Christmas, I started from scratch and uploaded everything again on Dropbox.
Everyone should be able to download the files following the link below :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/88ax32sfsz08rhs/s3SgCwMKoH

None of those recordings belongs to any commercial release. It’s not the average stuff you can buy on iTunes or in a store. But in my opinion those recording deserve an audience and should serve educational purposes. It’s difficult to find "session standards" on commercial release nowaday and that is where those tapes become very useful for any player eager to learn the core of ITM.

Here is the list of what you will find on my dropbox account :

Dave McNavin, Sean Smith & Co
Eamonn Coyne, Siobhan Peoples & Co
Hynes Brothers
Joe Molloy JP
Paddy O’brien sessions 1970
Padraic McDonnachda, Conor Tully, Franck Hogan 1&2
Irish Trad Collection
Loughrea 1980 Paddy Carthy & Conor Tully & Paddy Fahy

I think it would be nice if some people could name the tunes.
Enjoy the feed, happy christmas
Ralex

Posted by .

Re: A christmas gift

As a relative beginner, if anybody could help name the tunes, that’d be a great help. I’ve had a little bit of a listen to the collections, but not alot. I really like them, though🙂 thank you for the gift.

"As a relative beginner, if anybody could help name the tunes, that’d be a great help. I’ve had a little bit of a listen to the collections, but not alot. I really like them, though🙂 thank you for the gift."

# Posted by TheBlindBard

Just so you know, I’ve been at this a long time, although I live in the States. I’ve listened to the collection for a few hours (love it!) and find that I don’t know many of the tunes. When I was in Ireland some years back, I think I recognized about three out of four tunes I heard at sessions even if I did not play them. Perhaps someone could tell us what percentage of these tunes are popularly played at sessions. Given the caliber of talent represented, my thinking is that this repertoire may represent more of what these folks do in a band than what is normally played in a pub when no one is recording it.

The Music at Matt Molloy’s CD, which is the closest thing I know of to the collection Ralex uploaded, contains tunes that are mostly familiar to me, so I’m guessing that the fact I don’t live in Ireland doesn’t mean I am too far out of the loop, but I could be all wet on that point.

Posted by .

Thanks Ralex !

It’s really funny, I opened the 1st track of the Irish trad collection #1 and it is from my a neighbor, James Cullinan with his wife Carol and flutist PJ Crotty (RIP)

Here is the link to the original video it was take from :

http://youtu.be/i4s5YuUj-iA

Cheers for that and Happy Christmas to you !

I’ve now spent a good six hours or so trying to identify tunes in Folders 1, 4, and 7 of the first collection posted. I’ve done most of 1 and about half of 4 and 7. It’s a huge, huge task. It would be a great help if anyone who wants titles could identify exactly which tracks they are particularly interested in.

Here’s what I’ve got (not repeating what I posted yesterday to the previous discussion, which I hope someone will enter into the file names or meta-data of the original files):
Irish Trad Collection #4
1. The last reel is The Mountain Road
2. Coen’s Memories, Glen of Aherlow, Otter’s Holt
3. Music in the Glen is the first reel
4. names are given in the file name
5. Tell Her I Am is the first jig
6. Queen of the Fair
7. Trip to Durrow is the second reel
9. Spellan’s Fiddle is the hornpipe and the reel is The Shaskeen
10. Banks of the Ilen and Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel
11. Hunter’s House
12. Health to the Ladies and Rambling Pitchfork

I’ve heard all of the ones I could find names for quite commonly in sessions except Spellan’s Fiddle.

Irish Trad Collection #7
1. College Groves and Humours of Scarriff
2. Road to Durham
3. Track list says High Road to Linton, which is a reel, but the tunes are jigs
5. The Piper’s Son and Trip to Durrow
7. The first jig is the Tenpenny Bit
8. Pigtown Fling
9. Mill Na Maidi
11. The second reel is The Heathery Cruach
12. 2nd Victory and Paddy Taylor’s

I’d say that College Groves, Humours of Scarriff, Trip to Durrow, Tenpenny Bit, Pigtown Fling, Mill Na Maidi, Heathery Cruach, and Paddy Taylor’s are fairly common.

Thank you, I added those to my dropbox. That is a very nice collection of tunes!

you welcome ! Thx Gary for naming the tunes, I hope someone else will help too !
Hynes brother recording is very interesting for flute players, amazing duo !!

Posted by .

Here’s the rest of what I can get for Irish Trad Collection #7:
7. Tenpenny Bit, The Ballykeale, Sporting Pitchfork
13. Tempest & Love at the Endings
14. Tommy Peoples’, Monaghan Twig, High Road To Linton
15. Eddy Kelly’s, Austin Tierney’s, Five-Mile Chase
16. Mullingar Races & Pigeon on the Gate
19. Four Courts

No luck finding titles for Tracks 3, 10, 17, and I’m confused by Track 11. I think there are two (maybe three) tunes there, at least one of which is The Heathery Cruach, but TunePal has that as the top hit for at least two of them.

ok i am changing the name right now. I found the reel after Music in the glen its McFadden favourite (collection #4, Fred Finn & Horan set I think). There are lots of tunes to identify :D

Posted by .

I got all but four tune titles from the Carty/Tully/Fahy recording, thanks to TunePal.

1. Flax in Bloom/Belles of Tipperary
2. Come West Along The Road/Five-Mile Chase
3. Paddy Kelly’s/King of the Clans
4. Broken Pledge/Red Tom of the Hills
5. Coen’s Memories/Sean Sa Cheo
6. Lady Ann Montgomery/St. Anne’s
7. Stoney Steps/Maud Millar
8. Green Groves of Erin/Flowers of Red Hill
9. Duke of Leinster/New Copperplate/Old Copperplate
10. Bank of Ireland
11. Liffey Banks
12. Paddy Fahy’s/Whistler of Rosslea
13. Harvest Moon/Berehaven
14. Farewell to Leitrim
15. Limestone Rock/Humours of Loughrea
16. ?/Connemara Stockings/St. Anne’s/?
17. Bee’s Wing/Paddy Fahy’s
18. Mills Are Grinding/?
19. The Ceilier’s/Bird In The Bush/Miss MacLeod’s
20. Ambrose Maloney’s/Belles of Tipperary
21. Brian Quinn’s/Trim The Velvet
22. ?/Cashmere Shawl
23. Mick Cooney’s Fancy/Newtown Bridge
24. Rakish Paddy/First House in Connaught
25. Ewe/Morning Mist
26. Frieze Britches

Thanks, Ralex. Fantastic resource. I appreciate you posting them.

Posted by .

You welcome jiml and thx gary

Posted by .

That’s a really nice collection, thanks!

Hi Ralex,

Thank you so much for this!

Pete

How ironic — I am currently in the midst of a project to identify tunes on a friend’s massive collection of miscellaneous Irish trad music, and there seems to be a lot of overlap between your collection and his. Here are the tunes I’ve ID’d so far (with times and performers, if known).

Irish Trad Collection #4:
1 Sweeney’s Dream/Mountain Top/Mountain Road 2:14 Matt Molloy, Jimmy Moray, Noel O’Grady, Terry Crehan, Maria Lynn McHugh, Padraig Morrell, Peter Gallagher, Pat Egan, Becky Kehoe, Jimmy Murphy, Peter Horan
2 Cottage in the Grove/Lafferty’s/Otter’s Holt 4:05 Matt Molloy, Jimmy Moray, Noel O’Grady, Terry Crehan, Maria Lynn McHugh, Padraig Morrell, Peter Gallagher, Pat Egan, Becky Kehoe, Jimmy Murphy, Peter Horan
3 Music in the Glen/McFadden’s Favourite 2:29 Matt Molloy, Jimmy Moray, Noel O’Grady, Terry Crehan, Maria Lynn McHugh, Padraig Morrell, Peter Gallagher, Pat Egan, Becky Kehoe, Jimmy Murphy, Peter Horan
4 McHugh’s/Cuz Teahan’s/Old Torn Petticoat 3:40 Matt Molloy, Jimmy Moray, Noel O’Grady, Terry Crehan, Maria Lynn McHugh, Padraig Morrell, Peter Gallagher, Pat Egan, Becky Kehoe, Jimmy Murphy, Peter Horan
5 Tell Her I Am/Brennan’s 1:50 Matt Molloy, Jimmy Moray, Noel O’Grady, Terry Crehan, Maria Lynn McHugh, Padraig Morrell, Peter Gallagher, Pat Egan, Becky Kehoe, Jimmy Murphy, Peter Horan
6 Queen of the Fair 1:33 unknown
7 McKillop’s/Trip to Durrow 2:50 unknown
8 guitar solo/Si Bheag, Si Mhor 3:05 unknown
9 Spellan’s Fiddle/Shaskeen 3:06 unknown
10 Banks of the Ilen/Kiss the Maid Behind the Barrel 2:09 unknown
11 Hunter’s House 1:46 unknown
12 Health to the Ladies/Rambling Pitchfork 1:47 unknown
13 Leitrim Clog Dance/Master Henry’s 2:24 unknown
14 Farrel O’Gara’s/Trim the Velvet 2:49 unknown
15 Gusty’s Frolics 1:30 unknown
16 Belles of Tipperary/Galway Rambler 1:41 unknown
17 Silver Spire/Hand Me Down the Tackle 3:25 unknown
18 Ship in Full Sail/Out On the Ocean 2:05 unknown
19 Sligo Maid/Boys of Ballisodare 1:58 unknown
20 Highest Hill in Sligo/Pride of Rathmore 2:36 unknown
21 Jenny Picking Cockles/Humours of Castlefin 3:01 unknown
22 Price of My Pig/Policeman’s Holiday 2:50 Emer Mayock
23 Old Monaghan Twig/Leg in the Ditch 3:11 Emer Mayock
24 song 2:40 unknown
25 Collier’s Jig/A Visit to Ireland/Tatter Jack Walsh 3:13 unknown
26 Trip to Birmingham/My Love is in America/Lad O’Beirne’s 3:44 unknown
27 Mug of Brown Ale/Rose in the Heather 3:16 unknown
28 Rainy Day/Monastereden Fancy 1:44 unknown
29 Paddy Fahy’s/Lark in the Strand 2:59 unknown
1 Morning Mist/Patsy Touhey’s 3:18 James Byrne, Connie Dross, Mick Brown, Thomas Cunningham, Sean?

Irish Trad Collection #5:

Willie Clancy’s/The Fergus/Clancy’s Fancy 4:21 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Bracken’s/Lost and Found/Setting Sun 4:19 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Crossing the Minch 2:51 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
The Long Strand/Hughie Shortie’s/reel D 3:42 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Brady’s/Loughmountain/Letterkenny Blacksmith 4:52 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Helvic Head/Trip to Killarney 4:22 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
air/waltz 4:52 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Hag’s Purse/jig A/Kinnegad Slashers 4:17 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Sandy Grant/Tailor’s Thimble 2:39 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Ivy Leaf/Fairhaired Mary/Maid Behind the Bar/Monaghan Twig 4:54 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
I’m Waiting For You/Gerry Commane’s 2:55 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Johnny Boyle’s/Joe Burke’s 2:45 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Dapper’s Delight/Take Your Churn/Humours of Tullycrine 4:11 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Iniscealtra/Aggie Whyte’s/Miss Thornton’s 3:55 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Blackberry Blossom/McFadden’s Favourite 2:16 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Matt Peoples’ #1/Matt Peoples’ #2 2:15 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Road to the Glen 1:53 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Maids of Mt. Kisco 2:19 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Scotsman Over the Border/Cordal 2:27 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Belles of Tipperary/Stoney Steps 2:48 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Maudabawn Chapel/Farrell O’Gara’s 2:40 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick
Lord Gordon’s 2:57 Dermot Lernihan, Seamus McMahon, Cyril O’Donoghue, Fisherstreet Niall Sheedy, Aidan O’Conner, Ted McCormick

Irish Trad Collection #6:

Green Garters/Noisy Curlew/Spindle Shank/Boys of ‘45 4:23 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Across the Fence/Callaghan’s/Golden Eagle 4:43 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
College Groves/Dairymaid/Dowd’s #9 3:52 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Katie’s Fancy/Wishing Well 3:51 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Moving Cloud/Graf Spey 4:09 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Fisher’s Rant/strathspey A/King George IV 3:16 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
air/reel A dor/Boys of Ballisodare 5:23 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Miss Ramsey/Launching the Boat/Wild Irishman 3:47 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Gusty’s Frolics/An Phis Fhliuch 4:09 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Beare Island/Belfast Traveller/Eileen Curran 4:48 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
McCahill’s/McCahill’s 2:52 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Maids of Mullach/Reel With the Beryl/O’Mahoney’s 4:29 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Ard Baithen/Kit O’Mahony 3:38 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Drunken Sailor/Galway Bay 4:43 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Jackson’s/First Day in Spring/Bunker Hill 4:57 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Rí na bPíobairí/Key Of The Convent, The 3:03 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain
Old Mulqueeny/The Japanese/KItty O’Shea’s 5:42 Tommy Peoples, Siobhan Peoples, Garry O’Briain

Irish Trad Collection #8:
(This was broken out into different tracks on my friend’s collection)

Frost is All Over 0:51 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
Julia talking about her family and her start on fiddle 3:14 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
The Ducks and the Oats 1:04 Julia Clifford
How and when Julia met Johnny 5:00 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
She Didn’t Dance and Dance/Denis Murphy’s Slide #3 1:40 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
Popular tunes in Kerry; Padraig O’Keeffe 6:13 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
Maid on the Green 1:26 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
Padraig O’Keeffe; Tom Billy; Danny Ab O’Keeffe 3:44 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
O’Keeffe’s/O’Keeffe’s 1:41 Julia Clifford
Julia’s travels to Scotland, London, Boston (with Paddy Cronin and Seamus Connolly) 8:39 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
Scartaglen/Knockabower 2:44 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
Julia’s life in Norfolk; Johnny plays in Knocknagree 1:08 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
Merrily Kiss the Quaker (Kerry version) 1:48 Julia Clifford and Johnny O’Leary
George White’s Favourite/reel e dor (Hare’s Paw var?)/Teetotaller 3:35 Padraig O’Keeffe
early life 1:55 Padraig O’Keeffe
Johnnie Cope 4:05 Padraig O’Keeffe
how Padraig resigned from teaching 1:32 Padraig O’Keeffe
Humours of Ennistymon/I Will if I Can 3:13 Padraig O’Keeffe
later life 3:28 Padraig O’Keeffe
Munster/Tell Her I Am 2:56 Padraig O’Keeffe
studying with Padraig 3:02 Gerry McCarthy
Sweet in the Moor 1:56 Gerry McCarthy
Tom Billy and Padraig O’Keeffe 6:45 Gerry McCarthy
Tony Lowe’s/Jenny Lind 1:31 Gerry McCarthy
O’Keeffe’s death 0:47 Padraig O’Keeffe
air 3:26 Padraig O’Keeffe

And finally…
Irish Trad Collection #9:

hornpipe Ador/Devil’s Dream/Mooney’s 5:57 James Byrne, Connie Dross, Mick Brown, Thomas Cunningham, Sean Con Johnny
Money Musk/High Road to Linton/Keel Row 3:00 Vincent Campbell, Jimmy Campbell & Peter Campbell
Oak Tree 4:10 Vincent Campbell
Neilidh O’Boyle’s Highland/ An Mhallaidh Gharbh 3:07 James Byrne, Donald Ward, Sean Con Johnny
Proncie Turas’s reel 3:37 James Byrne
Swallow’s Tail/John Doherty’s 3:11 Merla, Noel, Derrick
Crooked Road to Dublin/Glory/Gravel Walk 4:45 Pat Byrne, Jim Byrne, Frank McHugh, Clare and Steven Gallagher etc.
Knights of Saint Patrick/Jimmy Lyons’ Highland/Miss McLeod’s/etc 29:18:00 Jimmy Lyons, John Doherty, Frank Cassidy
Geese in the Bog/Rose in the Heather/Slieve Russell 5:06 The Clare Tradition (Mick Coyne, John Rynne, Seamus MacMahon, Liam Lewis, Eamon Coyne, etc.)
Donegal/Wild Irishman/Steampacket 3:04 The Clare Tradition (Mick Coyne, John Rynne, Seamus MacMahon, Liam Lewis, Eamon Coyne, etc.)
Up Leitrim/Munster Buttermilk/Out On the Ocean 4:18 Garlic Mushroom Ceili Band
Congress/Mulqueen’s/Highlandman Who Kissed His Granny 4:37 Garlic Mushroom Ceili Band
Millennium Ceili House Reel 2:48 Aidan Vaughan, John Murphy
Humours of Kilclogher 1:42 unknown

Wow hudge contribution kidonthemountain thx a lot ! 🙂

Posted by .

Does ur friend have the missing part of the collection i uploaded ?

Posted by .

You’re welcome, and thanks for posting these. My friend has the same Paddy Carty recordings, too, and they’ve been among my favorites. (Thanks for the tune IDs, Gary — I don’t know the missing ones either, unfortunately.)

I don’t know if the "missing part" to which you referred (#2, 3, 10 and 12?) are part of my friend’s collection — I only know that the ones you posted were.

Thanks Kid. It was getting kink of lonely! I’ve started on the Paddy O’Brien session, but I’m away from my computer for a few days now.

Thanks for the Collection Ralex.
Here are only a few Tunenames from Irish Trad Collection #1:
Track 1: Wheels of the World, Dan Breen’s
Track 6: Sheehans, The Peeler’s Jacket.

Anyone have names for track #4 in Collection 14? I gather it’s Jackie Daly and others but haven’t seen any names for the tunes. Much appreciated!

Posted by .

I will update the name after christmas 🙂

Posted by .

Thank you!

I only recognize the first of the three jigs in #14-4. It’s the melody that Mark Graham used for his comic song "Jackson and Jane". (I’m not sure if it’s the same tune in the song of the same name that Paul Brady recorded.) The closest match I can find is The Orphan. It’s too hard to be sure with access only via my iPad. The third tune is interesting, as it seems to contain some rather distinctive phrases from other tunes.

The first tune in #14-4 is The Orphan jig.

Thanks for piecing that together!

Posted by .

Thanks for these great recordings Ralex, and thanks to those who were able to put names to the tunes.

Wow! Thanks for that…I’d swear that’s Kevin Griffin on the Eamonn Coyne, Siobhan Peoples & Co recording….

Most of the tunes have been identified above… Glad to see the topic is still active somehow

Posted by .

#14 has an incredible mix of tunes. I can’t stop listening to it.

I know this is an old thread, but I’m looking for a tune ID on #14, track 9, the 3rd tune in the set…

The Primrose Road / The Road to Cashel / Charlie Lennon’s #4