Cost of Violin Lessons?

Cost of Violin Lessons?

I’ve recently been bitten by the ITM bug and have been learning the tin whistle, utilizing free online schools. I have been playing the great highland bagpipes for 12 years and for most of that time I had weekly lessons with a tutor. Now that I’ve decided to jump in with both feet and finally learn the violin (something I’ve always wanted to do!) I’ve had a bit of a surprise when contacting local tutors and finding what they charge for lessons.

This led me to wondering if this is a local problem of mine or if it’s more widespread. Knowing that The Session is a global site I thought to post this message and ask what do people pay for violin lessons? I’m not trying to slam tutors in any way, shape or form. I’m just curious what the going rate is for a beginning violin student around the world? I’m looking at having to pay twice my own hourly wage for a 55 minute lesson.

Re: Cost of Violin Lessons?

In the US you could pay anywhere from probably $30 to $70 for an hour of violin instruction. Substantially less for a group class, but with that much less personal attention…

why is it such a problem that you have to fork out good money for lessons on something as technically challenging as a violin?

Posted .

D.J.F. Sorry I wasn’t clear, but it’s NOT a problem for me to fork out good money for lessons on something as technically challenging as a violin. I was asking what the going rate is for tuition, nothing more, nothing less, because I was surprised at the prices I was finding where I live.

Again, I’m not slamming tutors and their prices in any way, shape, or form.

Violin teacher here! I charge $60/hr for private lessons and $25/90m for group lessons

But if you take from me, you get 2 free recitals/year, all the various jam sessions and other group playing opportunities, discounts on supplies and strings from my shop and other perks

I paid $20 for half hour lessons from a classical teacher. The instructor wasn’t very experienced, though.

In Melbourne, about $70 for one hour. I charge $60 for banjo lessons but I think you were referring to music lessons!

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the information.

You could do worse than this site— I know the people who run it and they are lovely and dedicated. I’d like to see them do well. Other than that I have no financial connection with them: http://www.oaim.ie/
"Top Quality Lessons from World Class Tutors Make Learning Irish Music Fun, Fast & Easy"
And the offer a 7 Day Free Trial

Just out of curiosity, what were you paying for you GHB lessons? Most GHB teachers in the Albany, NY and Western New England area charge $60-$80 for a 1 hour lesson; which is right in same upper range being quoted for violin lessons here. The exception to that is pipe bands. If you’re willing to join the band in you can get your lessons for free.

Dan, part of my astonishment at the prices I was finding for violin lessons is because I paid $20 / hr for bagpipe lessons from a professional level piper.
I began my tuition when I joined a local band and as you say they provided an hour before band rehearsal for teaching the newbies. Those lessons were good to get me going but not really designed to shape me as a player to the degree I wanted, so I asked around and was referred to my teacher.
I was fortunate to find him and I now realize just what an exceptional opportunity I had to learn from him. He only maintained 5 to 6 students at a time and didn’t rely on the tuition for his living but said he wanted to do what he could to pass the music along.
🙂

David, I’ve been using the OAIM for learning the tin whistle and will surely continue with them for the violin. I really like their approach and have learned a lot from the whistle lessons. I’m sure the violin lessons will be similar and I plan to use them in conjunction with a tutor.
Thanks 🙂

Here in the UK mainland it’s between £25 and £30 per hour, less if you make a commitment for several lessons. More expensive in London, of course.

Jonathan, you could try http://fiddleforum.com … another global site. There are quite a few teachers there.

A few things come to mind:

Where are you? Location can make a difference.
Why are you referring to "violin" lessons as opposed to "fiddle" lessons? While you want to find someone who is solid on technique, an instructor who teaches classical technique, and who doesn’t understand traditional music, will most likely not set you up well for traditional music.
What is your specific interest in traditional music? Scottish? Irish? There are subtle but profound differences in bowing, ornamentation, tempo, etc.

I think you need to give the entire proposition some more detailed thought, and therefore ask yourself and others more questions, prior to worrying about the cost of lessons.

It would help a lot to know where you live, could give more specific cost for certain areas. It’s VERY true that there’s a big difference in technique between classical and ITM, you may want to seek out a teacher that is specific to the type of music you want to learn. You may be able to add bluegrass to ITM without too much trouble.

dont bother with teaches they are overrated :D im coming on great with a nice hunched up posture and ‘collapsed wrist’ to boot! :P

Thanks for the links to other online resources, they are much appreciated. I am one to find little nuggets of wisdom wherever I can to help me improve.

Matt, I’m not worried about the cost of lessons but was simply asking what violin lessons go for around the world. When I posted the thread I imagined people may chime in to say where they are and what lessons go for there. I wanted to compare that with what I have found where I live. That’s all. Just curious.

I have found an instructor not too far away who plays and teaches Irish Traditional Music, which is what I’m interested in learning on the violin. I am clear on my desires and understand the difference in idioms being involved with Scottish pipeband and solo competitions for 12 years. I have fallen in love with Irish Traditional Music (having always enjoyed American bluegrass) and am going for it, no holds barred.

Its about 4
$40 per hour here in WI

Jonathan -

With respect, I think what was confusing to some us was your use of the word "violin". It’s an odd, and misleading, term to use when talking about traditional music. There are differences in cost in "fiddle" instructors and "violin" instructors. With perhaps a few exceptions, "violin" instructors who claim to know a thing or two about serious ITM are well worth steering clear of.

I, too, competed with a successful Grade III GHB band for many years. As you probably well know, competition GHB is, in so many ways, an idiom unto itself, and many folks would argue that one should take care in equating competition piping with Scottish traditional music in general. Hence my point. Perhaps you’ve hit the jackpot - I’m very fortunate to have very fine ITM fiddle instructor
close by. But I still think you might want to be asking a few more questions than just cost before investing in an instructor. Many say they teach "Irish", but not all really know the real deal.

Many violin/fiddle/music-in-general teachers are self-employed and rely on teaching for a significant part, or perhaps even all, of their income. In order to arrive at a reasonable charging rate for lessons they have to factor in such things as making a net profit in order to support themselves and possibly a family, insurance and personal pension arrangements, cost of running a studio, and (certainly not least if they are a good teacher) necessary background work and expenses outside the lessons. Not only that, of course, but the pupil should expect to be paying for a good teacher’s many years of experience and expertise.

The OP remarked that he is paying his teacher twice his own hourly wage. If someone is an employee the chances are that it costs his employer about as much again as his wages to employ him.

I agree with Trevor. For anyone self employed, what you actually earn is generally half what you charge or less.

To judge the value of your violin lessons forget about your wage, compare what your teacher is charging per hour with what a plumber would charge you for the same time. And remember that the musician will have put in many, many more hours of training and practice.

The going rate in Colorado is between 40 to 90 bucks/hr. currently depending upon the area. When I was actively teaching, I charged a flexible rate based somewhat upon the musical experience the player had starting out. If I had to spend more time teaching theory, I charged a higher rate than I would to someone that already had a grasp of the basics of theory. Then we could spend the time learning technique and other skills. I also avoided children ( I hated taking little Johnnie or Julie’s parents hard earned cash when their kids really had no grasp, talent or ear for learning music).

I agree with Chuck on all his points. I’ll just add that teaching children (sub-teens) is a specialized skill in its own right.

The cost of fiddle/violin lessons I have seen are quite ridiculous especially when a well known irish fiddler charges a significant amount less than a slew of unknowns claiming to be instructors.

I am currently paying £45 per week for one and a half hours, two teachers, folk/baroque the one and the other classical / grade 3, and it is worth every penny. It keeps me motivated and it keeps me progressing; I don’t go clubbing & I buy my clothes from charity shops. Compared with so many pursuits & hobbies & gym membership, it is cheap at the price. Music teachers do much good in the world, and they have to live. Power to their bowing elbow! 🙂
Mollie

Sorry - should have said £40.
Even out over the 45 years that I didn’t play, and it’s practically nothing. 🙂

Mollie, your hourly rate is quite close to what I pay. I have an hour’s lesson once a fortnight.

I had my first lesson today with my instructor and I’m still abuzz.. What an awesome instrument, what fun music..

🙂