Girvan Folk Festival

Girvan Folk Festival

Six of us from our session in Co antrim (Cleneghans) are heading over this year. Anyone out there going.
johnny1

Re: Girvan Folk Festival

Yes, great festival. For those who haven’t been, good Irish sessions in the Ailsa Craig (till all hours) and Harbour Bar. More Scottish in the Westcliffe and good singing in the Southfield. Also sessions in the Royal and Queens Hotels and, quite possibly, almost everywhere else. Something for everyone.

Brilliant! I’d forgotten all about the Girvan festy. Went once about 10 years back and really enjoyed it. Slept in the back of our van and watched Gannets dive bombing fish off Ailsa Craig, whilst eating fried egg sandwiches for breakfast. Definitely be there this year. Thanks for the reminder.

Jim w

when is it ?????

Friday 30th April until Sunday 2nd May, officially. The sessions continue until at least the Monday afternoon, though.

They usually have a good concert bill too but many people just come for the sessions alone.

By the way, "The Ailsa Craig* (The rock not the pub) is known by the Irish as "Paddy’s milestone".

John

What’s the accommodation situation? Is Ayr accessible if none to be found in Girvan? Any facilities on the campsite?

Plenty of B and B type accomodation but I’d start enquiring now. It’s a popular festival and there’s not quite as many guest houses/hotels as before. It used to be a popular seaside resort but it has gone into decline in recent years. You can still get a great "fish tea" though.

http://www.welcome.to/girvan

The camp site is free but the facilities are fairly limited. There are toilets and washing/sinks but no showers. However, I always used to go to the swimming pool instead.

John

I’d certainly recommend it - this is my 6th year on the trot and every one has been brilliant.

it’s really great to meet up with old firends and to make a few new ones. The standard of the music is generally very good [with the odd crappy session as you migth expect] but overall great music and great craic altogether.

On the accommodation front - know of people who arrived on spec and were able to get somewhere on the day.

this link might be helpful http://web.ukonline.co.uk/members/beau.rhann/contents.htm this is the home page of the Festival Organisers.
It includes some contact details for accom or try ringing the Girvan tourist info centre on Girvan 01465 714950

hi breandan,
hopefully we`ll meet up for a tune (Cleneghans crowd) brendan flute, stevie fiddle, stevie banjo, johnny fiddle, brian connely banjo, and kirten button accordian.

Any other good festivals this summer in South Scotland or North England??