DADGAD-Guitar tuning

DADGAD-Guitar tuning

How many of ye play guitar tuned to dadgad?? Or who plays standard tuning or who plays both??

I’d like to bring up some pros and cons about the tuning.

I’ve just recorded an album on which I play dadgad. It will hopefully be released in May. There will soon be some samples to listen to on www.brianhaitz.de.vu.

So, tell us what you think about the tuning.

Cheers Brian

Re: DADGAD-Guitar tuning

I use dadgad, and find it nice and bassy. My greatest envy goes out to those who can play a dadgad tuned guitar like a bouzouki, or for that sake, can place the same chord in more than one position. But then again, I am a fiddle player……..

Snorre
We tune ‘coz we care

I generally like the tuning. There are alot of nice bass runs and things you can do. I seem to go between it and Drop D. One thing that i dont like about is that some of the changes tend to get all washed up in the open droning strings. But i guess thats just a matter of more practice and learning more chord voicings.

anton

Posted by .

Hi Brian,

I play DADGAD, mainly. As to advantages and disadvantages… Actually, browse the discussions and you’ll find some worthy material.

In short:
1. Easy
2. Bassy
3. helps understand harmonics (theory of music) for guitar
4. Everything under fingers
5. Nice change after classical tuning
6. Challenging when trying to play Villa-Lobos
7. Keeps party-punters wannabe-rockstars away from your guitar (at least around my place)
8. uhm, forgot…

Take care

Janek

well, thanks for replying.

I agree mainly to what you say except that many people say its the easier tuning. This simply depends on how deep you go into it. I do agree that its more logical but before I say a lot more I’m preparing a short sample of my album where you can hear my dadgad playing.

http://home.arcor.de/alfonso16/07vcd.mp3

Hey, Al Fonso, like your DADGAD playing. Spot on!

Jim

If you want you can also visit my website. www.brianhaitz.de.vu , there you can now also listen to this sample.

Cheers

Alfonso

I occasionally play dropped d, but mostly standard tuning. I am interested in DADGAD, but have been to absorbed in whistle and banjo to really get around to trying it. I play the tune melody’s mostly on the guitar, not so much the chords, I should attempt to learn some tunes in DADGAD. Is it easier or harder to play the tunes, in general using DADGAD?

P

I find DADGAD to be impossible for picking the tunes. It can be done, but you have to train yourself to skip from the D to the A or from the G to the D, depending on where the tune goes, and that’s really tough to get used to. Standard and Drop-D seem to me much better for flatpicking.
Either DADGAD or Drop-D is fine for rhythm work. When I’m playing, I like the voicings of Drop-D more, but I love to listen to a good player in either tuning.

Well, its true that melody playing is very hard on DADGAD because you have to go quite high up the fret. Still, I play melody on DADGAD and I’m used to it now. I generally think if you want to become a really good DADGAD guitarists you have to focuse only on the DADGAD tuning. I think its worth it, especially for people who only play ITM.

PS: Allthough the man I have learned everything from, Patrick Duboue, plays a lot of blues and jazz on DADGAD. So, you’re not stuck to ITM with DADGAD guitar.

Cheers

I can’t agree completely with focus thing. You see, what I found the most useful in DADGAD is that suddenly, after years of standard tuning, I realised that there is another way to use your guitar. And I found out it enriched my understanding and my playing in standard mode, because it showed me new horizons. Knowing two tunings evoked curiosity, pushed me towards experimentation and trying out certain tunes on both. For sure, it’s better to pick one tuning as the main one, but learning other ones helps a lot, indirectly. What is really important, IMHO, is technique, good feel of music (call it a talent, if you wish) and good knowledge of "mechanics" - learning new tunings is so easy then. Really good guitarists are able to learn new things fast.

DADGAD for backing is just indecently easy, in basic options - but gives a myriad of possibilities, up to really vitruoso stuff. You can achieve remarkable results with not much sweat (but with a lot of brains nevertheless) - see guitar backing on Kate Rusby’s album ‘10’. For melody - hell, I find it easier than standard, except that low G is difficult to reach in first position. But that’s for me - I think everyone should try many things out and find the most suitable for themselves.

"I think everyone should try many things out and find the most suitable for themselves."

I use standard tuning to accompany trad tunes, but use DADGAD occasionally for songs (mostly Dylan). I do a slow fingerpicked version of "All Along The Watch Tower" in Em (Capo on 2), which has many different voicings of the basic chords.
Dylan used a lot of dropped tunings even E down to C (Desolation row, It’s all over now Baby blue)
TTFN
PP

Does anyone know of any decent sites where I can get the chord shapes for DADGAD. I have had a guitar for ages but never really got round to using it much but partner now interested and it would be great to see various shapes. I know a few of the very basic ones but would like to develop a bit more. Any help appreciated!

Go to the "Advanced Guitar Room" at http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/

For any tuning, this site is invaluable. Pick your tuning or create one (all the "strings" are independently configurable), select a chord or scale, and ALL the applicable fret positions will appear on the simulated "neck." That way you can see to create different voicings for chords and to recognize the patterns moving up the neck. It also allows you to label the frets as "notes" or "intervals"… the latter is nice to easily remove the "third" of the chords to give your playing a more "open" sound.

This site has given me immeasureable help in breaking away from the first position chords.

Schy

Posted by .

Hi folks,

I am learning Dadgad tuning and I know all the basic chords, can anyone advise me on any websites or tutors in the belfast area to take me a step further? My knowledge of tunes is not great- advise on where to get most popular session tunes to start to off? disaster i know!

Pee

Posted by .

This might not fit so much in the trad world,but DADGAD is a great tuning for electric power chords,example, just barre all the strings and use your ring finger on string 5, 2 frets up and then slide up to that position, it sounds like a change made out of mountains ,nothing standard tuning has to offer can match this. not to mention the many other positions that I haven’t detailed. It’s great you can also quickly change to a open drone position giving powerful chords even more expression.. So long lame 1/5 schlock and say hello to powerful chords the way great composers heard them …music is wonderful ,Tralgo