Gallo Language?

Gallo Language?

This isn’t exactly session related but I am highly learning the Gallo language as I speak French and want to learn some Yann Dour songs from his Bal Gallo album. I can learn most of the lyrics with my knowledge of French but certain words don’t make sense to me. I have searched the internet a bit and haven’t found any great resources for learning Gallo. A comprehensive dictionary of verbs and conjugations would be extremely helpful if such a thing exists. Specifically I am interested in the song Derrière Chez Moi. Anyway I figured I might ask here as it is sort of considered a celtic language. I read that somewhere but it resembles French more closely than Gaelic in my opinion.

Re: Gallo Language?

Here is what I have for the first verse. The rest is pretty rough, I seem to have lost the version my French instructor helped me with years ago but even that I still disagree with some of her suggestions.

Derrière chez moi I’l y’a-t-un jardin

On faire l’amour, on boire le vin

Dans une main je tiens un verre

et dans l’autre ma bien aimée

Ma belle le verre c’est boire (e is pronounced)

C’est la pleur de l’eau vendri (vendri is not an actual word I might be hearing this wrong or it might be Gallo)

"as it is sort of considered a celtic language"

Erm, no, it isn’t. It descends directly from Latin. A Gallo-Romance language, further divided as one of the "oil languages" (langues d’oïl).

You might find a French-Gallo translation dictionary.

G’day Earl!

I left school at 18, a long time ago, 1972 to be precise, but there is nothing odd about your lyrics that is beyond schoolboy French. Seriously! Without resorting to a dictionary a rough translation with a bit of nuance because it is such an evocative lyric it goes something like this:

Derrière chez moi I’l y’a-t-un jardin
Behind my place there is a garden where

On faire l’amour, on boire le vin
You can make love, have a glass of wine

Dans une main je tiens un verre
In one hand I hold a glass

et dans l’autre ma bien aimée
And in the other, my true love

Ma belle le verre c’est boire (e is pronounced) [suggests past participle]
I have drunk the wineglass of my love

C’est la pleur de l’eau vendri
(vendri is not an actual word I might be hearing this wrong or it might be Gallo) [PLEUR might be PLUS meaning BEST; actually VENDRE is the verb to sell, VENDRI p.p.=SOLD]
It’s the best water ever sold to me [maybe more romantically one might say "the best water/drink I ever bought]

I’m sure there are many readers here who might do a better job of translation, but I hope these basics help.

All the best

Brian x

Could the last words be ‘vend rit’ or a similar expression? It seems to fit with the general tenor. ‘Pleur de l’eau’ means tears, so it might be something like ‘tears of laughter’. Probably not.

Posted by .

Perhaps that should be "Ma belle le verre _sait_ boire" (my love knows how/is able to drink a glass)

Yes, you’re wanting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallo_language

BTW, anybody trying to help Earl Cameron without access to the source recording is going to have a lot of trouble, since the first verse actually ends:

?quand ma belle verse à boire
when my beauty[/love] pours me a drink

c’est la fleur de l’oranger
it’s orange blossom [flavored?]

Posted by .

"I may be confusing with "Gallo-Britonic" ? Is that a different language altogether?"

That link is confusing the issue. "Gallo-Brittonic", or "Gallo-Brythonic" is a hypothetical sub-grouping of Celtic (P-Celtic) languages - Breton, Welsh, Cornish, etc, along with Gaulish and other Continental forms. "Gallo" in this respect refers to the grouping of Brythonic languages with those of those of the people from "Gaul" who spoke a Celtic tongue. "Gallo" on its own refers to a language spoken by "Gallo-Roman" people. "Gallo" originating as an adjective pertaining to things connected with "Gaul".

"That Gallo seems to be a different language than the French dialect."

"Gallo" was never a French dialect.
The language developed alongside French, from those Latin dudes.

Tirno do you know the rest of the lyrics?

Oh my bad you are the one I sent the mp3 to. I can’t believe it is "l’oranger" as I just don’t hear that, but my french instructor actually would agree with you so I guess that’s it.

Gallo is I have been told is the Language of the east of Brittany parts of Normandy.
During and after the French revolution it was decided that effectivly Parisian French would be the standard and imposed countrywide . So the various Dialects , hybrids and other languages would be stomped on so Gallo along with Oc ,Breton, Basque were nearly wiped out .

David
Angers