Name that tune

Name that tune

Hey all,

looking for the name of a tune. It’s a reel off of Great Big Sea’s album The Hard and the Easy. They play Newfie music but most of their tunes come from the Irish tradition. They list the title as "Buffett Double" but I can’t find any other reference to a tune by that name. Perhaps it’s an original, but I’ve never heard them play a tune on one of their albums that wasn’t derived from a standard, so I figure this is probably somewhere out there by a different name. It’s a really fun, fast, driving reel in Ador with almost no swing to it. I love the sound of it. Here’s a video of me playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct0JwaDAJpg

Can anybody help me out with this one?

Re: Name that tune

I’ve never heard it. The f# in the fifth bar of the B part stands out. It’s a structurally simple tune, based around two chords, but whether that means that someone composed an "Irish" reel, or it’s a traditional tune - I don’t know.

Yes - it definitely has similarties with The Laurel Tree. A French Canadian setting, perhaps? (*Buffet* is a French name, perhaps anglicised to ‘Buffett’).

Sounds like Totally lost and playing far to fast.

Posted .

Sounds like Totally lost and playing far to fast.

Posted .

Definitely a setting of The Laurel Tree…

"Buffett Double" is the right name for the tune. Great Big Sea probably got it from Newfoundland’s Baxter Wareham, who recorded it on his album "Buffett Double": http://www.donwalsh.com/Recordings/Dadyeen%5Cbaxter.html (Mind you, I’m not saying it didn’t start life as "The Laurel Tree".)

I don’t know anything specific about this tune, but a safe guess is it came from Baxter’s birthplace, Harbour Buffet, Newfoundland. A "double" is a type of Newfoundland tune, and while this tune is nothing like the tunes I think of as doubles, this is the second time that’s happened in the last few months, so there’s probably a subtlety I’m missing here.

O’Donnell’s playing in the above video is if anything slightly slow compared to how Baxter played it.

(Found while researching this, included just for fun:
http://www.mun.ca/mha/resettlement/larger_version.php?img=hrbuffett/pf319_178&galleryID=HB1
)

Okay, just dug out the ABCs I transcribed off that Great Big Sea album years ago.

X:2
T:Buffett Double
O:Baxter Wareham
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:G
d|eAAG Aedc|BGGA BGBd|eAAG Aedc|BGBG A3d|
eAAG Aedc|BGGA BGBd|e2ed efge|dBGB A4:|
|:e2ed efge|dBGA BGBd|e2ed efge|b2b2 a4|
f2ed efge|dBGA BGBd|e2ed efge|dBGB A4:|

I’ve just slowed down Baxter’s recording and compared, and while the outline is the same, it’s substantially different in the details. (Also, Baxter plays it in E minor rather than A minor.) I’ll try to learn it and notate it sometime soon.

Thanks a lot, Sol!

Do you know the origins of any of the other tunes they play? I’ve been wondering about the set of polkas they play on their "Up" album as Dancing With Mrs. White.