Coming soon to a session near YOU…

Re: Coming soon to a session near YOU…

It’s not the instrument, it’s the musician. Erm, right?
Anyway, I want one. Let the reign of terror commence.

🙂

Totally brilliant. I can’t wait to get my hands on a few dozen. 😀

heh heh

Would these be a recommended substitute for the much maligned Pakistani pipes?

I love this.

Posted by .

I burst out laughing when the melody started. brilliant!!

Ah. So this is what happens when shaky eggs hatch. I’ve always wondered.

I know of one or two godelpus modern composers who would be quite capable of incorporating those devices into their orchestral works.

My poor ears.
I think I’m going to be sick.

Trouble with those things is that they breed in great numbers at this time of year.

That sound is very unique, and I sincerely hope it stays that way…

Cuuuute!

Posted by .

I just………….don’t………..know…………..anymore……………………………..

get several and give them to the young children of people you don’t like.

So, I must confess, I actually own one of these monstrosities….My brother gave it to me as a gag gift a year or two ago. It was the culmination of long series of back and forth with ridiculous noise-making presents. (I gave him a replica British Navy bosun’s whistle, he came back with the otamatone. I conceded defeat).

Actually, trying to play one of these is very hard and frustrating. I used my left hand for fingering (because I’m used to strings) and found my finger-tip calluses interfered with completing the circuit and making the sound (I’ve run into the same problem with touchscreens). Also, there’s no references as to what position gives what pitch, and there’s no equivalent of an open string. I noticed that in the first video, at least one of them had reference marks drawn in, though. It looks like my assumption that the pitches follow the same kind of logarithmic progression as a string is completely wrong. I’ve maybe spent two hours over a couple of years playing with this, though. I’m unlikely to spend much more. I haven’t seen it since I moved across town last fall.

Honestly, in time it takes to learn to get a recognizable tune out of one of these, you could get a pretty solid foundation on a fretted string instrument like a mandolin or mountain dulcimer, or on a whistle or harmonica.

Re: I’ll see your shakey egg and raise you….

Oooops!

Posted by .