Need pronunciation help

Need pronunciation help

My mother say’s I speak my hereditary Mother Tongue Polish indescribably bad. My daughter, the Spanish speaker of the household tells me my Spanish would get me killed in a Puerto Rican neighborhood. My wife says my French embarrassed her when we were in France last summer though it amused some of the French who did understand what I was trying to say.

To my post, I have learned a new Mazurka-Phroinsias Ó Mhaonaigh’s. Is there a Gaelicht speaker who can phonetically tell me how to pronounce this properly so I don’t get blank stares, or worse insult someone if I call it out at a session.

Any assistance appreciated

Re: Need pronunciation help

Stick with Francie Mooney’s and you’ll be OK.

Posted by .

You should ditch the wife and the daughter for travel purposes. Saying "your accent is bad" does nothing to improve one’s accent, and makes most people feel crappy. The only way you can learn to speak "properly" is to do a ton of listening to your target language.

And I’d tell the wife and the daughter FWIW, no, you will NOT be killed with poor Spanish in a Puerto Rican neighbourhood. Much more likely, what will happen is, people will say to themselves, ay que bueno, por fin un gringo que quiere hablar el espaniol. They will be PSYCHED you are trying, rather than doing what retarded tourists do, which is to yell and point. Same goes for the French. Everywhere I’ve been in the world, people appreciate outsiders’ efforts to at least TRY the local language. (I have to admit tho’, Tibetan was frikkin’ impossible to pick up).

"My mother say’s I speak my hereditary Mother Tongue Polish indescribably bad."

Who taught it to you?

pronsias o marney

Posted .

Having some knowledge of Scottish Gaelic and the powers of using linguists on the internet, I found that it should be "frahnshis oh weenie". Try to imitate the ‘o’ in British English "not" for the ‘ah’ sound. But I agree, Francie Mooney is fine.

I think the discrepancy with abair is due to the electronic sound. Otherwise it’s the same.

And none of this helps if either of the names have irregular pronunciation…

Posted by .

Prun-she-is ( the s has a hard sound as in snake)

O’mwayne-ig (the g can have a hard or soft sound depending on what part of Ireland it is spoken)

Hope this gets you some cred with the family

Posted by .

Judging by the replies so far, it seems that you can pronounce it any way you like. Any more?

Posted by .

prun shiss o wayne ig

Depraved minds think alike, Weejie. I was listening to that documentary to try and find an instance of someone pronouncing his full Irish name, but "Francie Mooney" was as close as it got - mostly, he’s just referred to as "Francie". Since that’s what everyone called him, it would seem more appropriate to call the tune in question "Francie Mooney’s".

Re: Need help

Weejie — your phonetic version appears on my screen as a lot of squares interspersed with the occasional recognisable letter; although Google seems to recognise it. Any idea how I can render it in (presumably) a phonetic type on my pc? Anybody?

Posted by .

ˈpˠɾˠɪnʲʃiəsˠoːˈmˠiːn̪ˠiː

Originally posted on a Mac.

Is it still like that Gam?

If so, it could be the way you’ve got your browser set up.

Try pasting it into wordpad. If it’s still a problem, it could be the way you’ve got Windows set up.

Yes, it’s still the same. I’ve tried notepad; but when I copy and paste, it comes out the same way, as it did with my Google search. I occasionally get the odd bold question mark on web pages in place of unusual characters; but not often enough to concern me. This is the first time I’ve had practically the whole word illegible. Strange.

Posted by .

Thanks for the help! Lets see. Specific responses

Scutcher and teagan- Francie Mooney. True. But I was anticipating blanks stares because most people seem to recognize the mauled Phronsias name as the primary title.

CMO- Being second born generation in US, I got sent to "Polish School" on Saturdays. First borns learned it from mom and Dad. At Polish School, there was a piano in a classroom down the hall that got more of my attention than the instructor who figured out very quickly I have no aptitude for a language with fourteen consonants in a row-typically z,v,j, and r) with one vowel mixed in

"Yes, it’s still the same."

You might need to change the font in your browser.

"The Glenties" / "Vincent Campbell’s"

All names it had before it was ascribed to Francie’s bow… It pre-dates that fine fiddler.
# Added by ScottC - January 15th, 2003
https://thesession.org/tunes/1332

I seriously love how the members of this site can squeeze blood from stones. Always good reading,

Posted by .

Re: phonetics display.

Apparently Internet Explorer 7 or below will not display phonetics properly. Advice is to use IE 8 or later, or Firefox. or Opera.

Thanks Weejie - I’m using Chrome. I’ve tried all the available settings and updates but it doesn’t display properly. Maybe it’s a fault with Chrome. Never mind, it’s not a biggy. Sorry Damian for usurping your thread.

Posted by .