Idle thoughts

Idle thoughts

Here in London it

Re: Idle thoughts

Orson - While you are writing this, I am simultaneously posting a “cheerful Friday” discussion about non-playing sessioneers. Get over there.

Sitting at my desk in a cold, rainy Cape Town; listening to Mick O’Brien playing pipes, and reading a Spider-Man comic while sipping on a particularly fine cuppa. Occasionally pausing to browse TheSession or work out how long it would take to save up for a Seth Gallagher practice set.

Posted by .

Sitting at my desk, reading emails from fluter Maria in Dublin and looking at Joyce’s pictures from Frankie Kennedy. Lovely day outside though with the swallows just back from vacation and the primroses gleaming in the hedgerows. Ah, lovely Leitrim!

Cool autumn evening in Melbourne. Movie on TV and kid noises in the background. Trying to work out the Setting Sun Jig and Shannon Breeze ( not trying too hard ). Send some of that rain from Cape Town our way will you Q - we could do with it.

Posted by .

Pretty spring day for us in Virginia , but chillier than yesterday (its 50. And my last day of spring break- I had the great idea of cleaning the 3rd floor out so I’m a bit dusty. Probably just guilt because I’m going to be gone so much of summer break. Surely I should already know this slide I’ve just listened to for the at least 50th time!

Jennifer

Hi Deirdre! I was also just reading an email from Maria and wishing I was in Ireland right now hanging out and playing a few tunes…….but I’m sitting at my desk drinking my coffee and getting ready to start thinking about my weekend which will be in Boston : )

It’s sunny here in Vermont and my get up to a whopping 54 F degrees (12 C)

Joyce

Posted by .

Having a quick pit stop during long run around town… in the office (best place to relax, isn’t it?). Lots to do in next three crazy weeks. At least, the weather’s mighty - seems like the Summer’s come before Spring. Singing in the bus (have no time for rehearsal anywhere else, and we’re going to perform in Berlin soon). Tonite I’m going Irish dancing with a stunning girl, so what else do I need?

All the best to everyone

Just back from two hour lunch. Sat in pub (30 seconds walk away) from office having a few pints with a couple of friends and watching Solas DVD (live at the Burlington).

Ah feck that’s my afternoon’s work ruined I’m goin back at 3:30 to watch the Christie DVD.

Cheers

Conrad

You can tell the pints worked the brackets are in the wrong place.

Ah well feck it its Friday

It is indeed a lovely day… and wot have I been doing???? the weekly shop in Sainsburys …and only a few days of holiday left… I know how to live!

Birmingham, Alabama

Nice and sunny, low humidity, perfect day for lacquering. I am going to try to get wifey to take a break for lunch downtown and play with me at our Friday noon session.

I have some new gold finishing tools to try out as well.

Bob

Denver, here, almost 9 am – beautiful day, simply gorgeous. Feeling a wee bit hung over from last night, just enough to really feel the need for an egg or two for breakfast. Waiting for Emily to come in from New Mexico, going to go for a walk in a bit, I think. Been a hellishly busy week what with deadlines and taxes and such, and I really feel like I deserved last night’s workshop with Tommy Peoples and Cody this weekend – hurrah! After the walk, I’ll go shopping to make sure there’s food in the house for Pete, who isn’t coming along this weekend. 🙁 Must go by the bank (money is good) and do business stuff and pack for the weekend and do some laundry and neaten up the house.

When I get back from Cody on Monday, I go full bore to get ready for International Convention the first week of May in Chicago – going to help Sosaidh move to her new house, hurray! – and that’s not promising to be unstressful…

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Should get up to 75 F today finally….warmth

Lazy day…sort of…I have a ton of work to do. But I can’t seem to get my mind off music. I have my slow/learning session on sunday and I usually come with one new tune (up to speed and memorized)…well I have been a bit more ambitious it seems ‘cause I’m heading off with 2 new reels a waltz and an air. I already have picked out a couple I want to work up for next month. I guess I haven’t had a very creative month at my day job or maybe I’m just inspired by fluting again.

Got my fiddle back from the luthier yesterday. He put in a new bridge and took the action down at the nut and hand picked a bow for me. I put the bow to the strings for the first time last night. It didn’t sound nearly as horrible as I was fearing…It actually sounded kinda good. I have my first fiddle lesson next thursday…I can’t wait.

~Autumn

Maybe I should have called this discussion

London again. Still a bright day here today. Recovering from my post-Lent Guinness exertions and two hours of sleep. I awoke at 4 this morning, having gone to bed at 2. I blame it all on the Dixie Chicken hot-wing feast I had before going to bed. You’ve all done it before - gone to a nice session (St Cedd’s, Seven Kings for those who are interested), put a few jars away and decided that the perfect way to finish the evening is with a piece of slightly luminous meat that bears no resemblance to beast alive or dead. Ah well, had to get my passport renewed at 7.45 this morning anyway in time for my trip to……Dublin! Heading over in two weeks, hoping to meet up with a few thesession “beings”, or “banes” as they say in Belfast. I’ve earmarked Gogarty’s and possibly the Harcourt and O’Donoghue’s (’cos I like Joe Foley).

Hope to catch a few of you there.

Con

Of course, for many people today is Poet’s Day.
Trevor

There was a young fella called Trevor
An by all accounts he would never
Play out of tune
Or make noise on a spoon
Who, Trevor? No never, not ever.

LOL Orson – nah, that’s what most of the train-ies do…the weirdest thing about Amtrak is the way the trains often stop in the absolute middle of nowhere for no real apparent reason. I finally asked one of the baggage guys what was going on, and he said that it meant that something had tripped up the line and they had to send someone out to check the line manually before they could send the train hurtling over a possible line problem.

This is why I fly. ;)

Con

You make - a me sick! Zina, I’m STILL at work. Oh woe is me….

LOL, Conan
Trevor

Brownie points for anyone who’d like to write a few lines about the meaning, significance and sociology of Poet’s Day. Conan, Dave, Danny?
Trevor

Uh…who is that aimed at, Orson?

My brownie points are going to have to wait! I’m off home. Yippee!!!! Maybe see some of you not-so-regulars at the Porterhouse on Sunday. great way to wind down after (watching) all that running in the London marathon.

See ya

Con

Zina, I hope it’s me ‘cos that’s just what I’m doing

C

LOL – Me too – off to shop, pack, and wait for Emily, who is probably a good 50 miles closer than she was when she called earlier…

Ok, if no-one else is going to join in … I was trying to answer Trevor’s question 🙂 It’s P*ss Off Early, Tomorrow’s Saturday. It even has its own website now (http://www.poetsday.com/) … bizarre.

Oops I thought you were being offensive Orson. Heaven forbid! ;

Jan, sorry my messages bracketed yours. A pensive night in Central Australia sounds wonderful 🙂

Work over, just heading off for a night on the town in lovely Drumshanbo at the Comhaltas session. Last time out it was ruined by a man in wellies, playing an accordian, very badly, and very drunk. Lets hope he doesn’t turn up tonight. Have a great week-end everyone and play tons of tunes.
deirdre - Joyce, those photos were great, seems like you have a lovely time in Donegal.

LOL – that’s hilarious Orson! However, I rarely have to concentrate on the attitude embodied by POETS! ;) Right, I’m off to go to the bank, some quick shopping (must get another folding stool)…Have a great weekend, all!

Hey, I know the guy who runs the POETS Day website! Small world. 🙂

POETS day reminds me of when I used to work for a pharmaceutical firm and we had a society known as the FLUIDS (aka Friday Lunchtime Unplanned Informal Drinking Sessions). These guys had set up a database where all members input the amount of lunchtime they wanted to devote (we worked flexitime), whether they wanted to eat as well, whether you were willing to drive and the machine worked out which pub in the local area would be best. You then had to complete a feedback form (if capable) of what you thought of the beer, food, ambience etc! It was good fun and strange that mostly people rarely were seen on Friday afternoon!

Have a good weekend folks

Sarah

Its pitch dark so it should be as its 4.35 am in the morning. im sitting at my desk on the night shift.Only 3 and a half hours to go.Then its bed for a couple of hours and off for a few pints.I ll have to give up this work its upsetting my social life.

Posted by .

As Oscar Wilde said “work is the curse of the drinking classes” 🙂 Maybe you need to start a session with other shiftworkers - surely there are enough shifty musicians in Dublin? Or maybe you can be the “day shift” at an all-nighter, if such things still exist there?

Nice one Orson,Never thought myself as a shifty musian.Great name for a session .The shifty musicans and the up all nighters.

Posted by .