Sirkoijen Tanssi Schottis

Re: Sirkoijen Tanssi Schottis

You’d be hard pressed to find an easier tune to work out using your ear.

Perhaps someone here will oblige with the ABC - I can’t make head nor tail of that, and so can’t write it. Plus I’m at work so couldn’t help anyway.

PM sent.

“This tune was composed in Malmberget, Norbotte, Sweden by Albert Israelsson. It sounds Finnish,”

It sounds Finnish because it apparently is. It is attributed to Viljo Vesterinen, and was composed as a jenkka. I’m not sure of the validity of the Albert Israelsson attribution.

Not being privy to the contents of Weejie’s PM, I’ll put the ABC here
X:1
T:Sirkoijen Tanssi
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:Am
|:A2AB c2cd|e2ef e4|f2fe d2a2|e4 e4|fedc B2B2|edcB A2A2|B2_AB edcB|A4A4:|
|:g2ga g3f|f2e2 e4|e2ef e3d|d2c2 c4|B2_AB edcB|A2A2 e4|B2_AB edcB|A4A4:|

Apologies in advance if I am just duplicating it (or indeed, violating some unforeseen protocol).

Posted by .

With fast tunes in Sweden, they are always Russian to Finnish.

(I’ll get my coat…..)

You’ve saved me the bother, Gam. The name is in Meänkieli, which is the Finnish dialect spoken in Northern Sweden. In standard Finnish it is “sirkkojen tanssi”, which translates as “(the) crickets’ dance”. As said above, the tune is attributed to Viljo (Vili) Vesterinen, and if you search under the Finnish title, you’ll find recordings of his (presumably original) version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQnMNRXBlo&feature=kp

Oh, thank you very much. It took me awhile to find this discussion again, so, umm…Mikiemax, I appreciate your comments but playing by ear is an ongoing challenge for me…but I keep atter. I’m making some headway.

Thanks Gam and thanks Weejie and hahaha at Jim’s comment. Don’t bother to get your coat….twas fon ee to me🙂

Posted by .

I think adding Poppy’s Reel to this tune would make it a cool set.

X: 1
T:Poppy’s Reel
C:Kathy Talvitie
M:C|
K:Am
|:“Am” A2AB c2 AB | cBcd c2 A2 | “E7” ^G2 GA B2 E2 | “Dm” FEFA “E7” ^GABe|
“Am” A2AB c2 AB | cBcd “E7” e4 | “Am” ea2 e “Dm” fede |1 “E7” cdcB “Am” A2 E2:|2 “E7” edcB “Am”A4||
“Am”ea2e “Dm”fede-|“Am”e a2 e “Dm”fede-|“E7”e e2 e fede|f e2 ^f- fe ^g2|
“Am”ea2e “Dm”fede-|“Am”e a2 e “Dm”fede-|“E7”e e2 e edcB|1“E7“[e8B8]:|2“E7“e2d2c2B2||“Am”A8|]
W: � Kathy Talvitie. All rights reserved. Used by permission.

Posted by .

Lovely Schottis, thanks…. I hope you’re planning to add it to the database…