Music for Knocknagree Polka

Music for Knocknagree Polka

Hi,

At approximately 23:00 minutes here in the West Wind Show from Tuesday 18th Feb (only available for one more day), the grandson of Johnny O’Leary - plays a Polka composed by Johnny - The Knocknagree.

Now I spent some time last night learning it by ear - but there are two problems with that.

My ability isn’t bad but its limited and so I know I probably missed a few notes or got the rhythm wrong in a couple places.

But most importantly I can’t write ABC and so I tend to forget a tune as soon as I pick it up unless someone have sheet music to refresh myself.

Oddly enough I can’t find the music for the tune here, does anyone have a source or care to add the tune?

Re: Music for Knocknagree Polka

Is there a link to the program/channel online?

If you click the little icon (Hard-drive with arrow symbol) before the date you can download the entire podcast - I’m not sure if there is a live feed of the station.

I wrote that while you posted the link. Anyway - here it is, courtesy of Bill Black who transcribed "Johnny O’Leary of Sliabh Luachra" (ed. Terry Moylan; Dublin 1994) ( http://www.capeirish.com/webabc/collections/jol/jol-tunes.txt ):

X:1095
T:Knocknagree % jol<bb
B:JOL.027
Q:260
L:1/8
M:2/4
R:polka
K:A
C>E FE | CE EF/E/ | CE Ac | B/c/B/A/ FA |
CE FE|CE EF/E/|ed/e/ Ac|Bc/B/ A2 :|
ef/e/ Ac/e/|fe f/g/a/f/|ec/e/ fc|ec Bc|
ef/e/ Ac/e/|fe f/g/a/f/|ec BA/B/|cA A2 :|
P: 2 % version in G
K:G
B,>D ED|B,D DE/D/|B,D GB|A/B/A/G/ EG|
B,D ED|B,D DE/D/|dc/d/ GB|AB/A/ G2 :|
de/d/ GB/d/|ed e/f/g/e/|dB/d/ eB|dB AB|
de/d/ GB/d/|ed e/f/g/e/|dB AG/A/|BG G2 :|

Thank you very much!

Great - thanks gam.

I had the bones of it mostly correct - the recording I’ve linked to being the version in G.

It’s a nice tune - I really didn’t want to simply lose it so thanks again for the help.

Lovely tune, and yes, the recording you’ve linked to is in G… I would have expected it to be here already, but, alas, it doesn’t seem to be, or, at least, after several searches in several keys I’ve not found it in the tunes database. It’s a sweet tune, a very pleasant and welcomed distraction. Thanks for tickling memories to the front, and the link to the radio program, which I’ve downloaded, enjoyed, and will enjoy again. I’ll do a transcription from there and if no one else adds it here I will, or add an alternate take if it does show up on site, including one for D-limited instruments.