Bodhran Traveller

Bodhran Traveller

I wondered if anyone on here has experience travelling with a bodhran. I’m flying AerLingus over to Ireland in April to travel around and play in sessions. My hope is that I can take it as part of my carry-on/personal item allowance. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences trying to do this? And, if so, any advice?

Re: Bodhran Traveller

I assume you have a case for it, yes? Should be no problem. In fact, you can use it to carry other items that may prove handy in flight. I’d keep it at your seat, as opposed to using the overhead, where it could be damaged.

Posted by .

NEVER bring your sticks through security or onto the plane ! Put them in your suitcase , they can be taken off you .

If you don’t yet own a case, I can recommend this one:

http://www.rhythmbase.co.uk/hardcase-14in-snare-case.html&currency=GBP&language=en?gclid=CLLcj-3b-7wCFSn4wgodCxgAWg

It’s actually designed to fit a snare drum, but it will take a 14" bodhran perfectly. Very robust, and if you are unable to carry it on board for any reason, it should be OK go into the hold.

Either way (as noted by Ailin) you be able to pack other things inside it.

If the 14"" diameter isn’t big enough for your bodhran, the manufacturer (Hardcase) has other sizes of case, one of which might do.

(N.B. I don’t play bodhran myself - I just know a lot of people who do! 😉 )

I packed my bodhrán in my suitcase, surrounded by and stuffed full of clothes. It was fine. It was a smaller diameter but deeper shell model.

ff

The large plastic carrier-bags sometimes given to you when you buy clothes are just the right size for a bodhran.

Posted by .

My husband travels regularly with his 14" bodhran and has no problems because he puts his beaters and tightening tool in the hold luggage. His case is padded and other items are carefully wrapped and stored inside. The bag by Protection Racket measures within the airline size limits. Good luck. He has had the tightening tool confiscated when in hand luggage, but never the beaters when in hand luggage.

“I packed my bodhrán in my suitcase, surrounded by and stuffed full of clothes. it was fine. it was a smaller diameter but deeper shell model.”

I actually did the opposite - put the bodhran in it’s soft case and packet it full of clothes… it’s amazing how much it held… (nothing electronic chemical or sharp in it tho!!) then took it on Easyjet as hand luggage no problem.

I’ve flown all over Europe with my bodhrán both on international and domestic flights. I can’t remember all the airlines but here are a few:
Aerlingus (regional), Norwegian, Ryanair (yukk!), SAS, Widerøe, BA, Lufthansa, Swissair, +++
I always use a soft case, I always take it on board as hand luggage and I never take the sticks out. There has never been shown any interest in the contents of the case at the security gate.
On the other hand, there has been shown considerable interest in my concertina.
Sometimes I use the bodhrán case as my luggage, and as Footerin’About has already said; you’d be surprised as to how much you can get in it….unless of course you’re one of those who does’nt travel light….
Aerlingus’ regional flights have small overhead lockers. If you have a 16" bodhrán it won’t fit in. My 16" went on the floor under the seat in front of me. My 14"goes in the locker.
The airlines policies on musical instruments vary, but SAS’ policy is that musicians may take their instruments with them in the cabin (I suppose, they may draw the line at a double bass). So far I have had no problems (with the exception of Ryan of course). At the most I had 1 bodrán, 1 mandolin and 1 banjo with me as hand luggage (Norwegian).
Enyoy your trip 🙂